Tremaine Edmunds and the run game

BillsFan130

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

lol right now I’d keep Milano over edmunds . He’s by far the better player 

Edmunds has a lot of work to do 

No way I'd get rid of Milano. Put him out there with Dodson where he only has to play his responsibilities and not Edmunds' also.

He has been a poor tackler in both games this season. It is something to worry about moving forward. Tackling in open space is supposed to be his strength. I'm going to eat some crow - Milano has been more important to the defense so far this year. We have to find a way to re-sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Edmunds has been a dud this season. The excuses get old. He's a huge liability against the run. 

His mediocre play against the run isn't a concern. The concern is he is missing tackles on receivers in open space and isn't covering as well as he was last year. Right now he's leaning on his length to cover up pass lanes but he isn't really doing anything else.

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He has been a poor tackler in both games this season. It is something to worry about moving forward. Tackling in open space is supposed to be his strength. I'm going to eat some crow - Milano has been more important to the defense so far this year. We have to find a way to re-sign him.

I’ve been told it’s a “litmus” test for people’s football IQ if you think Edmunds isn’t the better/ more important player vs Milano.   Be careful, you are questioning the all mighty McBeane.

5 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

First off, awesome win by the Bills as they beat a good team and faced a lot of adversity.

While there were a lot of positives, there were also a lot of negatives.

One of them was Tremaine Edmunds, especially in the run game.

Seemed to me like there were a lot of missed tackles, not getting off blocks, and missing the holes.

For anyone who knows the game more the game than me, would that be a fair assessment today?

Go Bills, huge win at the end of the day.

I saw it the same way.  Troubling.  

He rarely hits people with authority. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’ve been told it’s a “litmus” test for people’s football IQ if you think Edmunds isn’t the better/ more important player vs Milano.   Be careful, you are questioning the all mighty McBeane.

Edmunds is more important to the scheme but this year he is getting outplayed by Milano. Last year that was not the case. He has seemingly regressed.

With upcoming games against Jacobs and Henry, they need to get it figured out this week. The DL was dominated today only reinforced as our top three tacklers on D were our CB’s and Safety. Hopefully Edmunds can heal but the Rams had major running lanes today.  Need much much more from Hughes, Murphy and Oliver!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Edmunds is more important to the scheme but this year he is getting outplayed by Milano. Last year that was not the case. He has seemingly regressed.

I don’t agree with you on last year, he was pretty bad last year too, but made some flash plays people get enamored with.  He’s built to play outside, McD is jamming a square peg in a round hole.  The honest truth, he’s a great athlete, not a football player.  He has no instincts at all.   He’s just about opposite of Josh Allen who is a pure football player that needed refinement, still needs more btw, vs a guy who has all the tools and no football instincts at all.  Allen has grown and his physical gifts are a huge bonus, all Edmunds has is athletic ability.  He’s a Whaley type pick and I’m going to proclaim it, he’s a bust.  You might as well move him outside and see if that will work, but he’s not the guy they planned for.

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

I think some of the fans here are completely clueless about how good the Rams' offense is. 

I hate running into those types in the wild, unless I'm completely drunk in which case I'd change the subject to something less complex than LB play and the opponents game plan and/or skill. 

tenor.gif

while i agree, the Rams are no slouch, if we are going to beat the Patriots this year, we need to shore up our run defense.

6 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

First off, awesome win by the Bills as they beat a good team and faced a lot of adversity.

While there were a lot of positives, there were also a lot of negatives.

One of them was Tremaine Edmunds, especially in the run game.

Seemed to me like there were a lot of missed tackles, not getting off blocks, and missing the holes.

For anyone who knows the game more the game than me, would that be a fair assessment today?

Go Bills, huge win at the end of the day.

D-line is not doing their job.

5 hours ago, GG said:

This continues to be an issue with his game. After a certain point, you can't use his youth and inexperience as the excuse for too much longer.  He's batting goose eggs in a D where the LBs rack up heavy tackle stats.  

Patrick queen is a young rookie and showing out so I’m with you a hi draft pick and in his 3 year. 

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t agree with you on last year, he was pretty bad last year too, but made some flash plays people get enamored with.  He’s built to play outside, McD is jamming a square peg in a round hole.  The honest truth, he’s a great athlete, not a football player.  He has no instincts at all.   He’s just about opposite of Josh Allen who is a pure football player that needed refinement, still needs more btw, vs a guy who has all the tools and no football instincts at all.  Allen has grown and his physical gifts are a huge bonus, all Edmunds has is athletic ability.  He’s a Whaley type pick and I’m going to proclaim it, he’s a bust.  You might as well move him outside and see if that will work, but he’s not the guy they planned for.

I hate it but I’m with you on this. 3 years in he is who he is I wouldn’t say his a bust unless your thinking that because how hi he was drafted but his sure not a play maker. I posted about Patrick queen for the Ravens his a rookie and showing out so enough about his age. P.s New England is running the ball hard. 🤫

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

he’s a good not great player, and filling a big role in a strange season while injured. and was playing against one of the better play designers and play callers.

its a tough league to play consistently excellent defense in on your best days. At the moment the decks slightly stacked against him. Hopefully he gets healthy, gets good reps and settles in.

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m not sure bend but don’t break is going to get them a Super Bowl  win, because when they come up against the big boy teams like the Chiefs and Ravens it’s very tough not too break...

You just need to shift your mindset and accept that 30 points is now the weekly target and some weeks it's going to take more than that. Just look at how many points are scored in every game every week. Gone are the days of the 35 point over unders. Even bad teams are getting into the mid 40s and 50s regularly and 60+ happens frequently. You just can't count on any defense to hold people under 20 on a regular basis. Under 20 is a great defensive gam or an inept offensive one. Much less than 20 is a total anomaly. It used to be that 20+ was enough to win most games. It just isn't anymore. Teams that win score and do just enough to slow the other guy down or make them turn the ball over a couple times. So far this year, out of 47 games played, only six teams have won games scoring less than 24 points. Only 3 have won scoring 20 or less. There have only been 3 teams held to single digits so far.

Per BangedUpBills.com

Tremaine Edmunds right shoulder. Had a shoulder harness on. See those with labrum tear, but not absolute confirmation. Could be RC, AC still.
He did get hit hard on the last Rams TD play. Direct shot to shoulder, explains why he wasn’t in final series

Edmunds was (as we suspected) not playing at 100%,  hard to judge the positioning and arm tackles when playing with an injury like that so only fair to wait for him to get healthy to really see if he has made any progress. Tough thing to ask of the kid at this point and a curious call to start him against a team that runs as well as the Rams. He does make defensive adjustments calls and I guess they felt he could bring more than Dodson...

Summarize others here:

Dawkins maybe just shaken up will prob be tested to make sure shoulder is fine, but I don't think I saw him go into the locker room...so fingers crossed.

Addison was cramping up.

Brown likely a calf strain.

Hyde possibly low ankle sprain (left ankle?) as that was an injury he had game 1.