Horse collar tackle in the pocket not a penalty???? And Mike Pereira

Billsfan1972

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point is it a penalty because it is a dangerous play.

Please tell me the announcers made up that comment?   

Also thank you Mike Pereira for telling them that final PI call was correct, where again the announcers tried to convince fans it was the wrong call!!!

That is correct. The Steelers suggested changing the rule, but the rest of the NFL did not agree. So cannot call horse collar on a RB in the tackle box or a QB in the pocket.

That was the correct no call.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/horse-collar/

8 minutes ago, Maynard said:

So what do you guys think about the PI? I’m arguing with folks that it indeed was and they saying it was BS! 

that was absolutely not an interception - its probably one of the worst calls I have ever seen.  Kroft caught the ball clean and controlled it the entire time.  If the defender gets his hands on it, it is a tie which always favors the offense.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, atomicpwrd said:

that was absolutely not an interception - its probably one of the worst calls I have ever seen.  Kroft caught the ball clean and controlled it the entire time.  If the defender gets his hands on it, it is a tie which always favors the offense.

I’m talking the pass interference call, not the interception. 

1 minute ago, Maynard said:

I’m talking the pass interference call, not the interception. 

Oh...sorry.  I am still in awe of the interception call...lol.  The PI was very close and I thought it was subjective, but the retired ref on TV agreed with the call.  🙂

32 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I had to look this one up, because it makes no sense to me that a defender is allowed to horse collar a QB if they are in the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/horse-collar/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grab the,who is in the pocket.

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

They got it right. No idea why the rule is written that way

In a league so hell bent on protecting QB's I have no idea why the QB is an exception for this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, atomicpwrd said:

Oh...sorry.  I am still in awe of the interception call...lol.  The PI was very close and I thought it was subjective, but the retired ref on TV agreed with the call.  🙂

Oh yeah, couldn’t believe the interception call! Total BS. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I had to look this one up, because it makes no sense to me that a defender is allowed to horse collar a QB if they are in the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/horse-collar/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grab the,who is in the pocket.

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

I think its because DL engaged with OL reaches to grab a RB at the line

Horse Collar

This is a type of tackle in football in which one player grabs another player’s shoulder pads or jersey from the back before pulling them down to the ground. Due to the increased risk of injury, this tackle results in a 15-yard personal foul in the NFL and NCAA. This penalty is also known as the “Roy Williams Rule” due to the defensive player’s history of injuring opponents through horse collar tackles.

But if in the tackle box it is okay to injure????🤣😜

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But if in the tackle box it is okay to injure????🤣😜

In the tackle box, guys aren't running top speed with full strides, which is where the knee injuries always occurred on those tackles.

If anybody can find a single instance of a guy getting hurt by a horsecollar inside the tackle box I will sand corrected, but I cant think of one right now.

52 minutes ago, Maynard said:

So what do you guys think about the PI? I’m arguing with folks that it indeed was and they saying it was BS! 

At the very least, it was a pretty "ticky-tacky" call, and one you wouldn't normally expect to be made at that point in the game (at least, in the "old days") ... especially if it favored the Bills!   It's hard not to think that at least part of that was a "make-up call" for the absolutely bogus INT earlier.

Edited by Merle

57 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It has always been the rule. So many fans seem.to watch the game oblivious to rules of the game. I knew instantly that wasn't a penalty. 

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

In the tackle box, guys aren't running top speed with full strides, which is where the knee injuries always occurred on those tackles.

If anybody can find a single instance of a guy getting hurt by a horsecollar inside the tackle box I will sand corrected, but I cant think of one right now.

Not always running at top speed.  The point is it should not be a judgement call as it is a penalty due to it being a dangerous play.  Being in the box or out should have no bearing.  

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point is it should not be a judgement call as it is a penalty due to it being a dangerous play.  Being in the box or out should have no bearing.  

I just don't think it's a particularly dangerous play when the guy getting dragged down is almost stationary.

But in the interests of consistency, yeah it should probably be a penalty everywhere or nowhere.