Allen 2020 stats (ALL 19 Games): 68.4% comp, 7.7 YPA, 104.9 Passer Rating, 52 TDs, 17 TOs (offseason talk starts pg 35)

Sad what this has become.   His point was that even one of the best ever has up and down games.  Russ threw 3 picks last night too.  We have a qb that throws for 300 regularly now and is completing 68 percent of passes.   When was last time you could say that?   25 years ago?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Sad what this has become.   His point was that even one of the best ever has up and down games.  Russ threw 3 picks last night too.  We have a qb that throws for 300 regularly now and is completing 68 percent of passes.   When was last time you could say that?   25 years ago?

Its really sad. Let Allen grow

Just now, Gene1973 said:

As I already stated, I was not the one who brought up Rodgers, but felt compelled to comment because comparing a Rodgers bad game to Allens' bad games is laughable, one player gets a huge benefit of the doubt, the other does not. That's just common sense.

No what is common sense is QB have good and bad games no matter who they are. You want to mention body of work, well Allen body of work is someone who has gotten better year and still coachable. Let just enjoy the ride. 

13 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Yeah, the bucs got better when they added the best quarterback to ever play the position, imagine that.

Not to mention when the Buc moved on from the QB who

1) led the league in INTs (and it wasn't close - 50% more than his next rival) last year

2) was 1 sack away from leading the league in sacks taken last year - some knowledgeable analysts consider a sack as having similar impact to a turnover

Brady is a damned smart man and knows damned-all about football - however much I want to see someone smashing his freakin' smug face into the turf

He didn't choose to sign with the Bucs because he was walking into a franchise that he would have to single-handedly "turn around".

He chose to sign with the Bucs because he saw they had a good defense that was under-rated because it was continually put in bad spots by a QB who wouldn't take care of the ball, a good OL, and a proven coach.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not to mention when the Buc moved on from the QB who

1) led the league in INTs (and it wasn't close - 50% more than his next rival) last year

2) was 1 sack away from leading the league in sacks taken last year - some knowledgeable analysts consider a sack as having similar impact to a turnover

Brady is a damned smart man and knows damned-all about football - however much I want to see someone smashing his freakin' smug face into the turf

He didn't choose to sign with the Bucs because he was walking into a franchise that he would have to single-handedly "turn around".

He chose to sign with the Bucs because he saw they had a good defense that was under-rated because it was continually put in bad spots by a QB who wouldn't take care of the ball, a good OL, and a proven coach.

You forgot “and two all world WRs” 

I guess it's asking too much when Feliciano and Ford come back, the Bills should institute more of a power running game and have Josh Allen under center more moving forward.

They are putting WAY TOO MUCH on Josh's shoulders and they need a power running game to help him out, and the defense.

Moss and Singletary can excel in a more power-oriented run scheme as well.

Maybe it's just me but Buffalo simply is not a place where the offense should be 100 PERCENT reliant on the QB position.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Where I would just take a slightly different view is the presumption that Allen needs excuses making for him. I didn't think he played very well in the first half last night and listening to Josh nor did he, but he put his big boy pants on second half and came out and played a really good 2nd half. If people are looking at Josh as the reason we didn't win more convincingly last night they are looking at the wrong thing.

And, I would add, that even the best QBs have haves or games where they just don't play well.  Michael Jordan wasn't the same player every night - there were nights, or at least halves, where he was positively human.   Guys who hit .333 on the season don't go 1 for 3 every game.   It's no different for QBs.  

Like Allen's fumble.   He holds on to the ball longer than other QBs.  Why?  Because he escapes from pressure better than most QBs, and part of his value is that he makes plays when most other QBs would be on their backs.   So he holds the ball, and because of that he's going to have more fumbles.   It's just something that goes with his style of play.  

I looked at the Jets game and saw a QB who was really in control, who was making a lot of his throws, who was making plays.   Given him one of the touchdowns, and his stats for the day would look great.   Yes, everyone wants him to be better, including Allen, but expecting him to be perfect is foolish.  No one's perfect.  So saying one thing or another happened, including something Allen wishes he hadn't done, isn't making excuses for him.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I know he’s fallen off from the 1st 4 games. 

But imagine if before this season started that someone told you Allen would be on pace for over 4000yds passing and 30TD passes. 

Frankly, what I've always said is that I've wanted to see a guy in control and under control.   A guy who was making plays and winning games.   That's what I wanted, and I guess I'd say it's pretty hard NOT to be that if you're  4000/30.

https://theathletic.com/2160660/2020/10/25/bills-jets-jerry-hughes?source=user-shared-article

Offense’s failure to put the Jets away was a compilation of errors

Josh Allen will naturally take a lot of criticism because of his position, though once again, I don’t think he was the problem on offense. Allen fulfilled his weekly routine of throwing a handful of inaccurate passes. Those plays always tend to stick out more than some of the successes that help engineer drives. While he needs to be more careful on those pass attempts, including an interception-worthy throw to the end zone, he avoided the truly baffling decision that is an easy play for the defense. During the rest of the game, Allen and the passing offense picked apart the Jets’ soft zone coverage. Just as they were in Week 1, the Jets were insistent on not allowing the Bills to beat them deep. And like the first meeting, Allen locked on his underneath targets and defeated the Jets with a ton of short throws with opportunity for yards after the catch. The only difference this time was that the Bills didn’t convert for a touchdown.

Think of all the missteps throughout the game. On the second drive, Allen and Reggie Gilliam set up the Bills with a first-and-goal opportunity with a 15-yard reception. On first down, the Bills took a holding penalty. On second down, they took an illegal man downfield penalty. With the Bills backed up, Daryl Williams conceded a quick pressure around the edge and Allen lost the ball on a strip-sack. Later in the game, the Bills were moving the ball easily in the second half, but then offensive coordinator Brian Daboll went to the quick pass to Isaiah McKenzie one too many times. The Jets were ready for it and dropped McKenzie for an 11-yard loss on first down, and it completely ruined the drive. The Bills had a touchdown nullified because of an illegal formation penalty in a later drive. On a different one, Allen read the bust in coverage and put an on-point throw to Tyler Kroft with a clear path to the end zone, only for the tight end to trip himself up and fall well before the end zone. Those are four separate drives that should have resulted in more than a field goal, and yet the Bills couldn’t get out of their way. That’s 22 points not scored because of all of their errors.

38 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://theathletic.com/2160660/2020/10/25/bills-jets-jerry-hughes?source=user-shared-article

Josh Allen will naturally take a lot of criticism because of his position, though once again, I don’t think he was the problem on offense. Allen fulfilled his weekly routine of throwing a handful of inaccurate passes. Those plays always tend to stick out more than some of the successes that help engineer drives. While he needs to be more careful on those pass attempts, including an interception-worthy throw to the end zone, he avoided the truly baffling decision that is an easy play for the defense. During the rest of the game, Allen and the passing offense picked apart the Jets’ soft zone coverage. Just as they were in Week 1, the Jets were insistent on not allowing the Bills to beat them deep. And like the first meeting, Allen locked on his underneath targets and defeated the Jets with a ton of short throws with opportunity for yards after the catch. The only difference this time was that the Bills didn’t convert for a touchdown.

Think of all the missteps throughout the game. On the second drive, Allen and Reggie Gilliam set up the Bills with a first-and-goal opportunity with a 15-yard reception. On first down, the Bills took a holding penalty. On second down, they took an illegal man downfield penalty. With the Bills backed up, Daryl Williams conceded a quick pressure around the edge and Allen lost the ball on a strip-sack. Later in the game, the Bills were moving the ball easily in the second half, but then offensive coordinator Brian Daboll went to the quick pass to Isaiah McKenzie one too many times. The Jets were ready for it and dropped McKenzie for an 11-yard loss on first down, and it completely ruined the drive. The Bills had a touchdown nullified because of an illegal formation penalty in a later drive. On a different one, Allen read the bust in coverage and put an on-point throw to Tyler Kroft with a clear path to the end zone, only for the tight end to trip himself up and fall well before the end zone. Those are four separate drives that should have resulted in more than a field goal, and yet the Bills couldn’t get out of their way. That’s 22 points not scored because of all of their errors.

Yep. Allen wasn’t perfect, but give him the long Kroft score, and the strange penalty on Davis score back and people are talking about how he’s back in the MVP race. 

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Frankly, what I've always said is that I've wanted to see a guy in control and under control.   A guy who was making plays and winning games.   That's what I wanted, and I guess I'd say it's pretty hard NOT to be that if you're  4000/30.

Remember last year when Allen would never be good because of his completion % hovering around 58 and lack of 300 yard games.

This year his completion % is around 70 and 300 yard games are now pedestrian - go figure?

:)

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I know he’s fallen off from the 1st 4 games. 

But imagine if before this season started that someone told you Allen would be on pace for over 4000yds passing and 30TD passes. 

He is regularly dropping 300 yards games. And doing so well above 60% completion. And the team is 5-2 with their two losses coming against two teams with a combined record of 10-2.

There are concerns for the roster, but in the end Josh is a huge bright spot.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Locomark said:

You forgot “and two all world WRs” 

And two TE’s, a solid O Line, and finally a running game.  Last year, the Bucs strengths were in the pass and against the run.  Now their secondary has significantly improved, and the running game is coming together.  Still a lot of season left, but the Bucs are hit right now.  They destroyed the Packers and then the Raiders.

As far as Allen, 16 TD’s, 4 picks but (the one against the Rams was BS, and it wasn’t Allen’s fault on the Roberts one), and over 67% Completion is pretty good to me.  Even with no TD’s at the Jets, he still moved the ball over 300 yards, and had almost a 7% completion%.  We need Brown though.  I hope if he sits all week, he can make the lineup on Sunday.  If not, I still think we can win as Milano is slowly being moved back to form, and you can only hope White and Edmunds are given a lot of rest this week.

I've got to be honest I think I am finally getting sick of the lazy Josh Allen isn't accurate takes. I think it's something that will stay with him for the rest of his career. Was reading a fantasy write up on SI about the Jets game and it was one of those lazy takes. The writer said not to believe the numbers and that Josh was his inaccurate self for the 3rd straight week. That he didn't allow for YAC. From that statement I thought it was pretty obvious this writer didn't watch the actual game.

Inaccurate Allen

It's been three weeks now, and Bills QB Josh Allen still seems like he's struggling to find his receivers. His numbers against the Jets might look good (especially the rushing yards). Still, if you watched the game closely, you could see that Allen was misfiring all over the place and is not giving his receivers any opportunity to run after the catch. This might work against a putrid team like the Jets, but with the Patriots and Seahawks coming up in the next two weeks, I have some real concerns with Allen.

I get it, Josh has a couple inaccurate throws a game but then so does just about every QB in the league. It's this label and some people are going to just stick to that.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Anyone who thinks we only scored 18 because of Josh did not really understand what they were watching. He was not very good first half but he was almost perfect second half and penalties and miscues from others stalled drives.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Anyone who thinks we only scored 18 because of Josh did not really understand what they were watching. He was not very good first half but he was almost perfect second half and penalties and miscues from others stalled drives.

Very much so. First half he seemed to be too greedy, tbh, and was trying to force some stuff.

People were complaining about him looking confused/deer in headlights, but I never saw that. He still moved around the pocket well, but he just was refusing to take what was being given to him.

Second half, was back to how they played the Jest the first time, and he just worked the field with what was being given.

As pointed out in the Athletic article referenced above, the lack of TDs wasn't on him, but on others. Let's not forget either, that Bass missed a couple of FGs as well, and it was Allen who got them into those situations. A 14 point win, albeit all FGs, still would be far more representative of how the game actually went - especially in the 2nd half.

I don't think I was even remotely worried when the Jest got the ball back with a little over a minute to play, iirc. They hadn't come close to doing anything all of the half, and their last possession emphasised that.