Allen 2020 stats (ALL 19 Games): 68.4% comp, 7.7 YPA, 104.9 Passer Rating, 52 TDs, 17 TOs (offseason talk starts pg 35)

25 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

It's crazy... I dont hear people saying Aaron Rodgers sucks chode after his last performance...especially after only giving us 2 pumps:cry:

Someone will come along and tell you that Rodgers has proven himself and Allen hasn't shortly.

• Haha (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/2149269/2020/10/20/bills-chiefs-takeaways-run-defense?source=user-shared-article

The game was there for the taking for Josh Allen

Despite all the yards the defense allowed and the time the Chiefs took off the clock, Josh Allen and the Bills’ offense still had every opportunity to pull out a win. The problem was Allen struggled with his accuracy, looked more frantic in the pocket than he has all season and never was able to correct it. The game was Allen’s worst of the season and more reminiscent of his 2019 self. The film showed us that Allen played better against the Titans than we were first led to believe, but there won’t be any false illusions this time around — Allen’s inaccuracy was one of the primary reasons the Bills lost.

Allen had 27 pass attempts by the end of the game, completing only 14 for a season-low 51.8 completion percentage. Seven of those 13 incompletions were short-yardage misfires that could have kept drives alive. The most glaring miss was a potential 33-yard touchdown throw to Stefon Diggs, who wide open and drifting toward the end zone. The offensive line provided great protection, but Allen tried to get the ball out quickly. He failed to step into the throw and instead moved his front foot to the left, causing the pass to sail about 10 yards over Diggs’ head. The drive resulted in a field goal.

Games like these represent a trend for Allen so far in his career. He’ll have a few good games where he shows all of his progress and then slowly drifts back into old habits in the following weeks. Once he has a game where the bottom falls out (see: New England, Cleveland, Baltimore and Houston in 2019), he gets back to the basics in search of rapid improvement. He tends to take constructive criticism well and implement changes immediately. The Bills next face the hapless New York Jets, giving Allen a perfect opportunity for a reboot. Every quarterback has bad games, but Allen has to prevent it from becoming a trend. If Allen can get back to the way he was playing in the first four weeks, the temporary setback will wind up being worth it for the whole season.

Tyrann Mathieu kept Allen on his toes all game

Part of the reason Allen could never get comfortable on Monday was because of safety Tyrann Mathieu. The Bills don’t have a tight end worthy of Mathieu’s sole focus, which allowed the Chiefs to use him as a game-plan wrecker. Mathieu acted as a zone defender underneath to cover up Cole Beasley, he dropped back deep in Cover 2 to bracket Diggs and he faked a deep drop into zone coverage only to pick up John Brown on a crossing route on third down. The Chiefs used Mathieu in man-to-man coverage against Brown, Beasley and Gabriel Davis and also blitzed him off the edge to get Allen off his spot. The range of outcomes from snap to snap made it so Allen could not predict what was coming. All he could do was avoid Mathieu as much as possible, which took away options on every play.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:17 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Sorry so late to update... managing work while watching the game along with depression to follow.

Upon reflection, Allen wasn't very good, but I also don't think he was as bad as our initial reaction is.

First of all, Daboll frustrates me... I feel like he's Jekyll and Hyde as an OC.  Our RBs just aren't very good... or our OL is just horrible at run blocking... or both.  Singletary had 1 run of 10 yards and 1 run of 9 yards at one point.  Other than those 2 runs our RBs still ran the ball 13 more times for a TOTAL of 23 yards.

We just get behind the sticks too often on those early downs and then have to rely on Allen to get us a 1st down.  And honestly, all year that's what he was doing with his arm... today he did it more often with his legs.  And the icing on the cake are the drops by our WRs.  I know the deep passes to Brown and Diggs in the EZ aren't drops, but those were good passes.  But Diggs had another drop at one point.  Brown had that drop on a perfectly thrown pass on 3rd and 10 on the very first drive that hit him in the facemask.  We've upgraded our WR corps for sure, but even before this game Allen was STILL suffering from highest drop % in the NFL.

And finally I really do think Allen has some Primetime Yips he needs to work through.  Last year I think I made the comment that Allen was much better on the road because there's less pressure to perform on the road than at home.  Same goes for Primetime games. 

He's still growing, and I'm confident he will, but I think the fact that he didn't have much of a spotlight in HS, JuCo, or D1 College is factoring into his need to grow a bit more into the game.

Or maybe he's not very good in bad weather.

I know, I know ... he went to Wyoming. He's used to wind (I can assure you they've got plenty of that) and occasional snowstorms.

But, of course, he wasn't really all that good at Wyoming. More talented/promising than actually effective.

The whole "guy with the big arm is great in bad weather" thing is kind of a myth. I mean, some of them are, some of them aren't. Some of the weaker armed guys were great in bad weather. Even Nathan Peterman's finest moment was in that snow game vs. Indy. 

We haven't played a lot of bad weather games in Josh's career so it's too soon to tell. But he did seem really off in the rain.

Just a thought ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-starting-quarterbacks-after-week-6-2020-season

8. JOSH ALLEN, BUFFALO BILLS

Change: Up 19

Josh Allen made the single biggest jump of any quarterback in the rankings from the preseason, just in time to show some wobbles in his play the past two weeks and make me wonder if we all jumped the gun. Even with those two rough outings, Allen’s 85.9 PFF passing grade is a top-five mark and more than 20 grading points higher than any other year of his career. He has a 79.3% adjusted completion rate, 10 percentage points better than his previous high. Allen looks to have taken a huge step forward in his development, but he now needs to avoid crashing back down to earth after a couple of more familiar inconsistent games.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:17 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Sorry so late to update... managing work while watching the game along with depression to follow.

Upon reflection, Allen wasn't very good, but I also don't think he was as bad as our initial reaction is.

First of all, Daboll frustrates me... I feel like he's Jekyll and Hyde as an OC.  Our RBs just aren't very good... or our OL is just horrible at run blocking... or both.  Singletary had 1 run of 10 yards and 1 run of 9 yards at one point.  Other than those 2 runs our RBs still ran the ball 13 more times for a TOTAL of 23 yards.

We just get behind the sticks too often on those early downs and then have to rely on Allen to get us a 1st down.  And honestly, all year that's what he was doing with his arm... today he did it more often with his legs.  And the icing on the cake are the drops by our WRs.  I know the deep passes to Brown and Diggs in the EZ aren't drops, but those were good passes.  But Diggs had another drop at one point.  Brown had that drop on a perfectly thrown pass on 3rd and 10 on the very first drive that hit him in the facemask.  We've upgraded our WR corps for sure, but even before this game Allen was STILL suffering from highest drop % in the NFL.

And finally I really do think Allen has some Primetime Yips he needs to work through.  Last year I think I made the comment that Allen was much better on the road because there's less pressure to perform on the road than at home.  Same goes for Primetime games. 

He's still growing, and I'm confident he will, but I think the fact that he didn't have much of a spotlight in HS, JuCo, or D1 College is factoring into his need to grow a bit more into the game.

I have noticed this as well since last year. He will get better with time. 

Brady and Allen have one thing in common: you know after the first few passes how the game will go.

As soon as Allen came out and missed a few easy throws I knew it wasn't going to be a good night. It happens. Beat the Jets and go to 5-2 with a chance to go to 6-2. Not too shabby. 

21 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

I say 63 percent which would still signal a significant improvement from 2019 up almost 5%

This is where I am at. To get to 63% on the year the math breaks down to about 60% completion percentage from here on out. That should be doable. I imagine a few more clunkers but hopefully some more great games from him. 

As has been the criticism, he needs to find more consistency. If he gets much below 63% it most likely means he tallied more clunkers than we’d like. I still think the under on 65% is safe but I don’t think he regresses that much this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is where I am at. To get to 63% on the year the math breaks down to about 60% completion percentage from here on out. That should be doable. I imagine a few more clunkers but hopefully some more great games from him. 

As has been the criticism, he needs to find more consistency. If he gets much below 63% it most likely means he tallied more clunkers than we’d like. I still think the under on 65% is safe but I don’t think he regresses that much this season. 

I agree and stat geeks have to remember:

Would you rather have a 68-70% dink and dunker who just manages games, does not always stretch the field, and does not exude confidence in the huddle, or a 63% Josh Allen, while having some off moments and games here and there, is the unquestioned leader of the offense, makes some big throws down the field, and shows an consistent ability to come up big late in games?

Give me the latter all day and twice on Sunday.

This is why I really compare Allen to Eli Manning. He will drives us nuts from time to time, but Manning was more of a leader in his day then most realize. So is Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

I agree and stat geeks have to remember:

Would you rather have a 68-70% dink and dunker who just manages games, does not always stretch the field, and does not exude confidence in the huddle, or a 63% Josh Allen, while having some off moments and games here and there, is the unquestioned leader of the offense, makes some big throws down the field, and shows an consistent ability to come up big late in games?

Give me the latter all day and twice on Sunday.

This is why I really compare Allen to Eli Manning. He will drives us nuts from time to time, but Manning was more of a leader in his day then most realize. So is Allen.

I agree, we just need to shorten the swing of the pendulum with Josh I think. With about 9 minutes left he was 9/21 and 66 yards. 15 of those came on the Diggs pass at the end of the first half with the defense giving up a free pass to keep us out of TD range. It was almost a major clunker. After some quick mathing, it is why I thought ending the year at 63% was both a fair estimate and a good pass/fail line. We would have to have a number of games with some real fall out to hit that mark assuming that the greatest frequency of games fall in the 62-65% range from here on out and 1 or 2 more pushing the upper 60's. 

https://theathletic.com/2154752/2020/10/22/bills-chiefs-tremaine-edmunds?source=user-shared-article

5) Outside of some missed throws, Allen’s day wasn’t as bad as it seemed

Games like Bills-Chiefs exemplify why watching the coaches film is such an impactful exercise. I initially wrote that this was Allen’s worst game of the season, which it was. But I also thought he was more inaccurate, and that perception didn’t hold up on film. Allen did have issues with ball placement and missed some clear throws — the Stefon Diggs throw to the end zone being the most glaring example — but it wasn’t anything too different from what we’ve seen in other games. It fits with Allen’s identity right now, and the Bills know what he does well far outweighs those bad moments.

Most of the time against the Chiefs, Allen was going with the hand the defense dealt him. The Chiefs’ defense dominated up front, effectively canceling out the running game. They also disguised some of their coverages well and took away most of the Bills’ opportunities over the top. During the rare plays in which the Chiefs were in man coverage with a single-high safety, Allen tried to push the ball down the field. He mainly attacked the short areas when the Chiefs were in Cover 2 and pressured him quickly enough to force an early throw. Allen also continued to show improvements against all-out blitz attempts, reading the defense, spotting the holes in coverage and calmly delivering a quick throw. He was hard on himself after the game for the missed throws early in the game, but he was far from the Bills’ biggest problem on offense. Allen still looked like an advanced version of his 2019 self, even without the statistics to back it up. He has remained on the right track, even in two losses.

There were rough patches in this game for sure, but at a certain point it looked like a light bulb came on in terms of playing against the zone defense, which is how it seems opposing Ds will play us from now on.

I really think we miss John Brown in this offense.

Patriots, Seahawks and Cardinals in a tough 3 game stretch before our bye.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

There were rough patches in this game for sure, but at a certain point it looked like a light bulb came on in terms of playing against the zone defense, which is how it seems opposing Ds will play us from now on.

If we had dangerous TE's and explosive RB's we wouldn't miss Brown as much as we do.  But we are a QB/WR driven offense and need all 4 guys out there cooking.

Add a pass receiving TE threat and a RB with explosive speed who can break tackles and we're the KC Chiefs on offense.

• Like (+1) 4

I was really hoping to see Davis emerge in this game. He nearly had two TD's. Should have had one for sure if it wasn't for his own mistake. And the first one, Allen should have put the ball three feet over his head where only he had a chance to come down with it. Instead Davis had to play defense and help break up a potential INT. 

Hopefully Brown is back next week. I have no doubt that Patriots defense will be ready for us so we'll need him. 

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I was really hoping to see Davis emerge in this game. He nearly had two TD's. Should have had one for sure if it wasn't for his own mistake. And the first one, Allen should have put the ball three feet over his head where only he had a chance to come down with it. Instead Davis had to play defense and help break up a potential INT. 

Hopefully Brown is back next week. I have no doubt that Patriots defense will be ready for us so we'll need him. 

Davis is right there... just gotta get him over the hump.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

THEY PLAYED THE JESTS 🙄. They aren't good. Josh Allen had regressed since 4-0. Watching the Chiefs and the Bucs play shows how far the Bills are from their class. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1