Allen 2020 stats (ALL 19 Games): 68.4% comp, 7.7 YPA, 104.9 Passer Rating, 52 TDs, 17 TOs (offseason talk starts pg 35)

One remaining issue is Allen regressing when players around him let him down a few times.  

Make no mistake, the drops and Roberts giving the ball to the Titans on his first pass, strongly affected this game. 

Add in no deep threat in Brown, equaled less spacing and explosiveness.  

Then multiple all that by a team surrounding him that looked like they had no interest in playing today, led by a defense who’s highest paid player couldn’t play and puts insane pressure on the offense to be near perfect. 

I just think this was the perfect storm for the Titans as they had their bye week early, weren’t able to practice which kept the Titans players bodies fresh, the Bills being down four starters and the Bills having to prepare for two teams [Chiefs, Titans] as I’m sure the coaches weren’t sure if tonight’s game was going to be played with the amount of positive COVID tests. Not making excuses for anybody, but everything for the Bills just seemed off and out of sync.

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Someone later in the week will do an all22 analysis and see that the Titans were confusing him w different looks in zone

Timing was completely off

Yeah, there were guys dropping with underneath leverage into his normal throwing windows that he wasn't seeing. It was something he has seen very seldom this season, but NFL being NFL him and Daboll are gonna need to figure that out.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

And so it begins, he's slipped below 70%. The question is will he slip all the way back down to the high 50's by season's end?

I think it's possible because the problems on D cannot be fixed without an influx of talent, so Allen might revert back to hero ball as the losses stack up.

Oh nooooo he's *checks notes* 0.7 percent below 70%. Lmao. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

One remaining issue is Allen regressing when players around him let him down a few times.  

Make no mistake, the drops and Roberts giving the ball to the Titans on his first pass, strongly affected this game. 

Add in no deep threat in Brown, equaled less spacing and explosiveness.  

Then multiple all that by a team surrounding him that looked like they had no interest in playing today, led by a defense who’s highest paid player couldn’t play and puts insane pressure on the offense to be near perfect. 

This was just a weird game I was hoping would be put off to a week 18.

There were so many conditions to this game being played it made it impossible for Buffalo know if they should be mentally prepared for the Titans or the Chiefs.

I expect McDermott is using this game as a teachable moment.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

And so it begins, he's slipped below 70%. The question is will he slip all the way back down to the high 50's by season's end?

I think it's possible because the problems on D cannot be fixed without an influx of talent, so Allen might revert back to hero ball as the losses stack up.

He had a bad game and still completed 63% of his passes. Did anyone really expect him to finish the season with a 70% completion percentage?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The Titans almost went to the Super Bowl 

The only problem here is the fans thought this would be a cakewalk 

No one understands how good the Titans (who were clearly galvanized by the Corona) are and were ready to beat anyone tonight.  

I totally agree on the Titans being a legit team and this not being a cakewalk. But the problem is this turned into a cakewalk for the Titans. I would have at least wanted to see a one score game which is what I thought we would get. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It was one game.

And even in this "bad" game he was 62%.

I'm much, much, MUCH more worried about our Defense.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It's still below 70% though...

I was hoping for mid 60's for a full season this year, so we'll see.

I just wanted him above 60 percent. Thought he could be a franchise guy like Newton was early in his career. Newton was always a 58-60% passer even in his MVP season. At this point I think it's almost impossible for him to dip below 65% based on what I've seen out of him. I mean he was 63% tonight without his second best receiver. He had how many drops at least 6 probably? If half of those go for completions he's over 70% for the game.

I'm looking forward to the New England game because that one will really tell us a lot. Will he have one of those 50% completion games?

14 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

The lack of run game is super concerning. We need something to be able to take some press off Allen, especially on a somewhat off night. 

Even more concerning with Allen playing so well taking the top off the defenses this year you would figure things would open up in the run game. Our pass blocking is terrific though. It's like our guys only practice the pass blocking.

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It was one game.

yet you keep chasing  these stats ..    Josh is but 1 player on the team and these stats are not a reflection of Josh Allen alone, but the team. 

Josh has improved  We all see it.   the #'s will go up and down with each game. 

you are chasing  👻's here  

now put in a silly gif as a reply.   It is what it is.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It was one game.

If this is Allen on a bad night, I’ll take it.  The first pick was a bad drop by a WR who never should have been on the field, and there were about 4 other bad drops after that, including a horrible one by Knox on a play that would have gone for 25 yards.  (When is this guy going to stop killing the Bills with easy drops at the worst possible times?)  On the first TD drive Allen converted about six third-and-longs and made an insane throw to Davis for a TD that was brought back because someone wasn’t set.  After that, they were playing from behind with no credible running threat and a Bills defense that demanded he score a TD every possession.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 5

Allen literally dragged the Bills offense to their points in the first half. The Bills D and ST put them behind the 8-ball all day, so the Titans D were Billsing the Bills O in the 2nd, forcing them to matriculate down the field. Allen was executing that plan on the drive that started at the 2, and then made the one bad decision. Then he successfully executed on the 2nd drive all the way down the field, with that TD to Yeldon being one of those "Josh and nobody else" throws. Then the D and ST never got him the ball again.

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/2143605/2020/10/17/are-the-buffalo-bills-the-real-deal-going-inside-the-numbers-and-the-eye-test?source=user-shared-article

We won’t know what Allen’s injury prospects will look like, but the scheme is hardly unique and he doesn’t seem to be benefiting from an extraordinary amount of luck. His supporting cast is great at nearly every spot on the offense, but he also suffers from a high drop rate — per Pro Football Focus, it’s the highest in the NFL at 7.9 percent. Though he’s had a dropped pick here or there, his turnover-worthy play percentage is not especially high at 3.21 percent — about average, again per PFF.

As a result, he has the fourth-highest adjusted accuracy rate, once taking away throwaways, batted passes, spiked balls and balls thrown while being hit while counting drops as completions. Given that he’s a fairly deep passer, that’s impressive.

One way to evaluate the impact deep passing has had on his accuracy, we can look at passing plus-minus, a metric developed by NFL Next Gen Stats. It uses data gathered from chips in shoulder pads and the ball to take into account the difficulty of throws, as determined by pocket pressure, depth downfield, distance of nearest defender, distance to the sideline and a few other factors.

By that metric, Allen has had 2.7 completion percentage points above expected. That ranks 20th, but because it only counts completions and not “accurate passes,” it happens to underrate Allen. Once we give every quarterback equal “luck” with regards to drops, batted passes, etc., Allen’s completion rate above expected rises to 5.26, sixth in the NFL.

One big factor in determining whether a team will regress is the play of the quarterback and whether his play is sustainable. For Allen, the signs point to yes — at least for this year.