Allen 2020 stats (ALL 19 Games): 68.4% comp, 7.7 YPA, 104.9 Passer Rating, 52 TDs, 17 TOs (offseason talk starts pg 35)

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As if on cue, Cowherd had his "Herd Hierarchy" yesterday and again put the Bills at #5.  He spoke almost entirely about our Defense and then at the end said (this is fairly close to a direct quote) "Their QB worries me.  Turns the ball over too much.  But he's an INCREDIBLE athlete."

Well you have made the middle bit of that quote up. He said nothing about him turning it over too much. He said "the Quarterback worries me AT TIMES, but he's a hell of an athlete." 

Now you might say that is criticism. I say that is pretty fair. Josh had a couple of bad games in there.... Arizona for the most part was one. Now if there is a Cowherd thing this week where I thought he was low on Josh it was his list of 6 or 7 teams who are completely all in on their Quarterback and he didn't have the Bills on the list. Not sure if he just forgot them or he doesn't believe the Bills are all in but if he doesn't he is wrong. The Bills are all in on Allen at this point and will extend him this offseason.

He is not an Allen hater and has praised him plenty of times this year. He isn't Chris Simms level in love with Allen is what you actually mean. But to say anyone who isn't there is a hater is incorrect.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:04 AM, SCBills said:

It’s an offensive league, and we have Star coming back next year.   That’s basically a pseudo-FA signing to help with the run game.   

With Poyer at S, White at CB, Edmunds at LB and Oliver on the DL, we have enough young talent at each level of the defense to fill in around them.  

Protect and elevate Allen with the Top 64 picks.  

I like the Steelers approach to building teams.. Good QB, good OL, RB by committee and terrific front seven.. they’ve pretty much always kept it the same way.. I think Josh Allen would be deadly if he had a team like that around him..

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2020 at 4:51 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure it's "deliberate" in the sense of "I know - I'll avoid any mention of Allen".  I don't think his mind is slipping, either.

I think it reflects his personal perception that he really doesn't think Allen is a talented, promising young QB. 

He can no longer say bad things about a guy who is currently top-10 in pretty much every category for which you can rank a QB, but Allen is just not on his radar as a promising talent.

I think Aikman is the same way - on TNF was taking about "Diggs great reception" and "Murray's great pass to Hopkins" to end the game.  It's not that he's deliberately setting out to diss Allen (I think), it's just that Allen simply isn't on his radar as a promising QB who deserves props.

Edit: maybe this seems like a distinction without a difference?  The difference to me is between a mindset of "I don't like that Allen guy so I'm not going to mention him" vs an unconscious "let me see - rising stars at QB, who comes to mind?"

He did mention him last week in exactly that way. Think it was Drew Lock he was talking about and he said "he isn't Mahomes, he isn't Murray, he isn't Josh Allen." I don't think he thinks Allen is a star in the way we do but I don't think he is as down on him as people think. I have heard him at least twice say he thinks he was wrong on him coming out. 

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well you have made the middle bit of that quote up. He said nothing about him turning it over too much. He said "the Quarterback worries me AT TIMES, but he's a hell of an athlete." 

Thanks for correcting me.

I heard it yesterday and wanted to post it when I heard it.  Figured a day would distort that memory.

Now you might say that is criticism. I say that is pretty fair. Josh had a couple of bad games in there.... Arizona for the most part was one. Now if there is a Cowherd thing this week where I thought he was low on Josh it was his list of 6 or 7 teams who are completely all in on their Quarterback and he didn't have the Bills on the list. Not sure if he just forgot them or he doesn't believe the Bills are all in but if he doesn't he is wrong. The Bills are all in on Allen at this point and will extend him this offseason.

Ahhh yeah thanks for bringing that one up.  Heard that, too.  Who were the teams on his list again?  I think I remember Seattle, San Diego, Kansas City... ?

He is not an Allen hater and has praised him plenty of times this year. He isn't Chris Simms level in love with Allen is what you actually mean. But to say anyone who isn't there is a hater is incorrect.

I do still disagree to a degree.  As @Hapless Bills Fan kinda insinuated earlier, "hater" may be too harsh a word but my impression is he doesn't like Allen but can't get away with criticizing a young top 10 QB at this point... so he's got his criticism in a box for now.

On November 21, 2020 at 11:05 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Cowherd is really all over the place. He loves Miami. I was surprised he has the Bills one spot ahead of the Fins in his rankings after he spent the last two weeks saying he would "take Miami over Buffalo today". What changed? Did he expect the Fins to handle the Chargers better or did he not expect the Bills to keep pace or outplay the Cardinals? Neither the Fins or Bills games last weekend were really anything unexpecting. 

He doesn't really ever say anything bad about Allen anymore. What I do notice is he will often just keep him out of the discussion of good young QB's. So then we don't know if his mind is simply slipping and he honestly forgets about Allen or if he purposefully does not include him. It was just last week before the Cards game he mentioned every good and/or promising young QB except for Allen. Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Burrow and Tua. Honest mistake or deliberate? 

That Nick Wright character is a huge joke. I think he hates on Josh Allen because he sees so much of Mahomes level talent from him. Wright is a Mahomes jock sniffer

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ahhh yeah thanks for bringing that one up.  Heard that, too.  Who were the teams on his list again?  I think I remember Seattle, San Diego, Kansas City... ?

Yea KC, Seattle, Houston, both LAs and Arizona I think. 

I think the Rams might surprise people a bit but I 100% agree with him they are absolutely all in on Goff they love him in that building more than most outside observers. I do think the Bills are on that list though. The Bills are all in on Allen.

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As if on cue, Cowherd had his "Herd Hierarchy" yesterday and again put the Bills at #5.  He spoke almost entirely about our Defense and then at the end said (this is fairly close to a direct quote) "Their QB worries me.  Turns the ball over too much.  But he's an INCREDIBLE athlete."

Allen has rushed for 75 yards combined in the last 3 weeks.  What he's done this year is win games with his arm.  It seems clear Cowherd is just waiting to pounce when Allen has a "typical Allen game" as defined widely by the media over the last few years.

I did not know lemmings come in herds. :devil:

giphy.gif

Note: Lemmings do not jump off cliffs to commit suicide and they do travel in herds.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:04 AM, SCBills said:

It’s an offensive league, and we have Star coming back next year.   That’s basically a pseudo-FA signing to help with the run game.   

With Poyer at S, White at CB, Edmunds at LB and Oliver on the DL, we have enough young talent at each level of the defense to fill in around them.  

Protect and elevate Allen with the Top 64 picks.  

I would like to build the trenches...1 OL and 1 DL...hopefully we can upgrade Star’s position...

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/21/2020 at 12:01 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about Brown.  He had two strong years, then his production fell off big time in AZ and they moved on.  So it's been a pattern even when he was younger to have a great year then the next year to be plagued by injuries, and he did come back from it. 

I think it's possible that the sickle-cell trait he carries makes it harder for him to recover and heal up from injuries during the season, so it's just kind of going to be a matter of chance whether he gets dinged early enough to hurt his production.

Is the bolded potentially a thing? I know NOTHING about sickle-cell trait, other than it being more common in African Americans, and hearing the potential issues with altitude as reported in regards to a certain Steelers safety traveling back from Denver a few years ago...Chris Hope? Maybe that's not the guy. Chris Something, I think. 

28 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Is the bolded potentially a thing? I know NOTHING about sickle-cell trait, other than it being more common in African Americans, and hearing the potential issues with altitude as reported in regards to a certain Steelers safety traveling back from Denver a few years ago...Chris Hope? Maybe that's not the guy. Chris Something, I think. 

So there isn't strong evidence.  For Joe Sofa Spud, sickle cell trait causes no harms.  Normally blood cells of someone with sickle cell trait don't "sickle" and the person is asymptomatic. 

But "extreme conditions" including low oxygen levels caused by strenuous activity, and dehydration, can cause sickling of blood cells and symptoms.  There was a study of army recruits which concluded they were no more likely to die as the result of rigorous training, but they were more likely to have muscle tissue break down leading to kidney damage.  Another study found a higher risk of pulmonary embolism (albeit the overall risk was small).  The NCAA has a blurb sheet warning coaches not to "push" athletes who have SCT for "toughness" if they are experiencing muscle pain/weakness.  Some college athletes with SCT have died during conditioning drills.

So for an elite athlete performing an ultra-physical sport at the very highest level and trying to push his recovery as hard as possible, it seems likely that may be a bit harder with SCT.  Their bodies may have to clear more damage due to blocked circulation, and they may have to take greater care in re-conditioning to avoid courting pain or damage due to the sickling and not just the original injury. (note the use of the word "may")

The good news is that I'm sure the Bills training staff is up on all the latest treatments and strategies.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea KC, Seattle, Houston, both LAs and Arizona I think. 

I think the Rams might surprise people a bit but I 100% agree with him they are absolutely all in on Goff they love him in that building more than most outside observers. I do think the Bills are on that list though. The Bills are all in on Allen.

I agree the Rams are all in on Goff.

I agree the Bills are all in on Allen.

And I agree it was head scratching to leave Allen off that list.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Ryan Clark was the player. He almost died. He also had a sister that had sickle cell disease (worse than sickle cell trait). She ended up passing away due to complications of the disease a few years back I believe.

The interesting thing about sickle cell is that it was a genetic benefit for most of human history because you were more likely to live longer rather than die from mosquito transmitted malaria in your adolescence. Better to die in your 20's then in your youth. 

• Like (+1) 1

when will we know more about Josh's knee? MCL sprain seems like the most plausible 

then again, with his shoulder they never did give details but he wore a brace and it obviously seemed to affect his play

it will be interesting to see how this one plays out... needless to say, I am nervous 

• Like (+1) 1

That Josh injury was scary.  Couldn't believe he came right back in and eventually scrambled for a TD.  

Even though he's a rare sighting, it seems like the few times Barkley has been in this year, he looks woefully unprepared.  Just awful.  I mean, the opponent is going to blitz on every play and he should be prepared for it if he throws. 

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

That Josh injury was scary.  Couldn't believe he came right back in and eventually scrambled for a TD.  

Even though he's a rare sighting, it seems like the few times Barkley has been in this year, he looks woefully unprepared.  Just awful.  I mean, the opponent is going to blitz on every play and he should be prepared for it if he throws. 

Preparation can't mitigate a blown blocking assignment against the best player on defense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1