Allen 2020 stats (ALL 19 Games): 68.4% comp, 7.7 YPA, 104.9 Passer Rating, 52 TDs, 17 TOs (offseason talk starts pg 35)

I'd like a true NT to spell and eventually replace Star.  Getting the most out of Tremaine means getting the most out of his athleticism, so we don't want him trying to shed linemen.  Is there a 26 year old Haloti Ngata in next year's draft?  

If anybody knows of a linebacker that fits Zo's role in the upcoming draft, I'm all ears.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I'd like a true NT to spell and eventually replace Star.  Getting the most out of Tremaine means getting the most out of his athleticism, so we don't want him trying to shed linemen.  Is there a 26 year old Haloti Ngata in next year's draft?  

If anybody knows of a linebacker that fits Zo's role in the upcoming draft, I'm all ears.

Looks like that's what they're grooming Epenesa to be

On 11/19/2020 at 1:34 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

I’m no analyst, but to me, this one play shows so much of Josh’s growth this year... you can see the exact moment when he realizes he’s gonna be open- his eyes lock on and you can almost read his body language going “aw hell yeah.” Other iterations of Josh loses focus, get’s goofy footed here and misses his set and fires the ball 5 yards out of bounds. MVP josh stays calm, finishes his drop, sets his feet and fires a strike. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

Despite the setbacks & reappearance of some bad habits in recent weeks, I still like what I've seen of Allen in year 3.

The one thing I'd like to see improved is his ability to drop back, make a decision & release the ball in a timely manner. No running around, no sitting back perusing the field, just 5 step drop & sling it.

I had noticed this issue to a degree before, but after watching some media pundits talk about his pros & cons, one guy asked (can't remember who) "when was the last time you've seen Allen be ready to pass in stride immediately after completing his drop back?" The last 2 years, Allen has lead the league or been in the top 2 for average time, holding onto the ball, in spite of having very good protection a lot of the time.

They talked about how you rarely see 5 or 7 steps back, plant the feet, pass. Now I'm not saying it NEVER happens, I just didn't notice how often that turned out to be true after watching old games & highlights. Hopefully he continues to improve in that area.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:34 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

No matter how many times I see that TD to Diggs, I can't believe what a great throw and catch they were. One of the best plays in recent memory especially given the pressure and game situation. Phenomenal and it's a shame it got largely ignored by the media due to what happened 34 seconds later. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

21 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Think it’s the OL — not the RBs.. I’d argue that drafting a center would be more important than a TE.. Doubt Mitch Morse is here next year and Feliciano is a better guard than a center.. 

1st - Center

2nd - MLB

3rd - NT

There’s other needs on defense.. I certainly feel you draft a few corners and a safety as well... but I’m higher on Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson than most..

Think if we added a true MLB to pair with Edmunds and Klein we’d be fine... Klein is not going anywhere, his contract is such that there’s no way out.. Milano I’d let walk unless he comes back on a cheap prove it deal...

At NT/DT I’m relieved to know that Star is coming back.. but we could use another NT to plug in next to him.. Could use a Ted Washington/Pat Williams style DT to pair with him and I think our running woes would be gone..

Then there’s FB and TE — which I think is highly relevant to our lack of running game.. No FB this year has hurt us.. Poor blocking out of our TEs hurt us.. Lee Smith should see more playing time as a result of that reality.. He’s probably our best run blocker out of all the TEs.. Knox hasn’t provided much as a blocker nor as a receiver.. maybe activate Sweeney at this point.. I could see TE being addressed somewhere in the draft and free agency.. I like the idea of running three TE sets and pounding the ball the way San Fran does.. So I would encourage Beane to add TEs who can really block well..

WR — Could definitely use another one.. perhaps a speed guy in the mold of Mecole Hardman.. An elite return man who can stretch the field vertically.. an heir to replace Brown one day perhaps?

Don’t think we have as many holes as people think.. but we definitely need to draft very well in 2021 if we want to have a shot at a Championship next year..

Nope. It's a QB/Offense League. Even more so in 2021 than in 2020. And the year after that, etc. Load up on Offense. Create as dominant/unstoppable of an Offense as humanly possible. That's the name of the game now. Nobody really plays defense anymore. The goal is to outscore teams and do just enough on D.

Round 1 - TE

Round 2 - RB

18 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

They need D-line help...

The NFL is a QB/Offense League.

You load up on Offense in today's NFL and try to average 40 points a game. 

Edited by JoshAllenReceipts

27 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Nope. It's a QB/Offense League. Even more so in 2021 than in 2020. And the year after that, etc. Load up on Offense. Create as dominant/unstoppable of an Offense as humanly possible. That's the name of the game now. Nobody really plays defense anymore. The goal is to outscore teams and do just enough on D.

Round 1 - TE

Round 2 - RB

It’s our OL that’s the problem.. Both Singletary and Moss are legit backs.. They’re not getting touches because our OL can’t run block.. If you truly want to have a run game you build up the OL.. I’d rather have an OL so efficient that you can plug anyone in and they’ll get 1,000 yards.. RB is a position that you should never pay big money to nor draft high.. They get hurt too often.. If you truly wanted to build our offense you draft a center with that first pick.. right now we’re picking around 28 (perfect spot to draft a really high end/elite center prospect..), then maybe add a guard somewhere RDs 2-3... I can understand that approach if we wanted to build a high power offense.. 

TE is definitely a need.. we could use a nice prospect there but traditionally good TEs have been found all throughout the draft.. Gates, Waller, Kittle, Kelce, Graham, Andrews and Witten.. So basically what I’m saying is that you can find a good TE usually in the third round, sometimes later.. Taking them in the 1st-2nd is pretty hit or miss...

I think if Buffalo truly wanted to be a team on par with the Kansas City’s and Baltimore Ravens of the world, you draft a center with that first pick, go defense and maybe spend a mid round pick on a solid TE prospect and maybe add one in free agency.. But yes, that OL needs a jolt, as does our defense.. but yes, 75% of our draft should be defense.. It would be great if we could trade some players away for more picks.. Need a center, tight end, return man/WR, LB, NT, CB and DE.. see what happens..

20 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

They need D-line help...

It’s an offensive league, and we have Star coming back next year.   That’s basically a pseudo-FA signing to help with the run game.   

With Poyer at S, White at CB, Edmunds at LB and Oliver on the DL, we have enough young talent at each level of the defense to fill in around them.  

Protect and elevate Allen with the Top 64 picks.  

Cowherd is really all over the place. He loves Miami. I was surprised he has the Bills one spot ahead of the Fins in his rankings after he spent the last two weeks saying he would "take Miami over Buffalo today". What changed? Did he expect the Fins to handle the Chargers better or did he not expect the Bills to keep pace or outplay the Cardinals? Neither the Fins or Bills games last weekend were really anything unexpecting. 

He doesn't really ever say anything bad about Allen anymore. What I do notice is he will often just keep him out of the discussion of good young QB's. So then we don't know if his mind is simply slipping and he honestly forgets about Allen or if he purposefully does not include him. It was just last week before the Cards game he mentioned every good and/or promising young QB except for Allen. Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Burrow and Tua. Honest mistake or deliberate? 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Protect and elevate Allen with the Top 64 picks.  

I think it is also obvious too that John Brown's best day's are behind him. He's had a rough year with injuries and you don't typically get healthier as you get further into your 30's in the NFL. And being a speed guy and not necessarily a precise route runner guy like Beasley any drop in horsepower could have a larger decline in production for Brown. Beasley is having a career year but he'll be 32 at the start of next season. Given the age of both Brown and Beasley they would be wise to either sign another younger veteran in the 28-29 year range like when we signed Brown and Beasley two years ago or draft a rookie. Davis has been promising this year for a rookie but he doesn't really run the same routes Brown and Beasley do. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think it is also obvious too that John Brown's best day's are behind him. He's had a rough year with injuries and you don't typically get healthier as you get further into your 30's in the NFL. And being a speed guy and not necessarily a precise route runner guy like Beasley any drop in horsepower could have a larger decline in production for Brown. Beasley is having a career year but he'll be 32 at the start of next season. Given the age of both Brown and Beasley they would be wise to either sign another younger veteran in the 28-29 year range like when we signed Brown and Beasley two years ago or draft a rookie. Davis has been promising this year for a rookie but he doesn't really run the same routes Brown and Beasley do. 

Could not agree more.   We have the elitist of the elite arms in the NFL... speed at WR should be paramount to this offense.  ....and clearly it is, we look like an offensive juggernaut with a healthy Brown.   The fall off is evident without him.  

Ive been pounding the table for a speed WR in the 1st Round.  Let him develop behind/with Brown next year.   

If anything has become abundantly clear, on offense, it’s that if we give Allen speed on the outside, there will be fireworks.  

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis & a speed WR.  If they want to keep Roberts, I’m fine with it.  The draft pick can take McKenzie’s jet sweeps.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis & a speed WR.  If they want to keep Roberts, I’m fine with it.  The draft pick can take McKenzie’s jet sweeps.  

I also wouldn't discount free agency for the speed role. It would be nice to get a finished product rather than a rookie. And we don't need a big time all-pro talent since we already have that guy in Diggs. Just a one trick pony type. And for once we have a QB and offense that might actually be seen as a desirable destination for a free agent WR looking to get some stats. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Cowherd is really all over the place. He loves Miami. I was surprised he has the Bills one spot ahead of the Fins in his rankings after he spent the last two weeks saying he would "take Miami over Buffalo today". What changed? Did he expect the Fins to handle the Chargers better or did he not expect the Bills to keep pace or outplay the Cardinals? Neither the Fins or Bills games last weekend were really anything unexpecting. 

He doesn't really ever say anything bad about Allen anymore. What I do notice is he will often just keep him out of the discussion of good young QB's. So then we don't know if his mind is simply slipping and he honestly forgets about Allen or if he purposefully does not include him. It was just last week before the Cards game he mentioned every good and/or promising young QB except for Allen. Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Burrow and Tua. Honest mistake or deliberate?

I'm not sure it's "deliberate" in the sense of "I know - I'll avoid any mention of Allen".  I don't think his mind is slipping, either.

I think it reflects his personal perception that he really doesn't think Allen is a talented, promising young QB. 

He can no longer say bad things about a guy who is currently top-10 in pretty much every category for which you can rank a QB, but Allen is just not on his radar as a promising talent.

I think Aikman is the same way - on TNF was taking about "Diggs great reception" and "Murray's great pass to Hopkins" to end the game.  It's not that he's deliberately setting out to diss Allen (I think), it's just that Allen simply isn't on his radar as a promising QB who deserves props.

Edit: maybe this seems like a distinction without a difference?  The difference to me is between a mindset of "I don't like that Allen guy so I'm not going to mention him" vs an unconscious "let me see - rising stars at QB, who comes to mind?"

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

What younger vet in the 28-29 yr range do you have in mind?

I dunno about Brown.  He had two strong years, then his production fell off big time in AZ and they moved on.  So it's been a pattern even when he was younger to have a great year then the next year to be plagued by injuries, and he did come back from it. 

I think it's possible that the sickle-cell trait he carries makes it harder for him to recover and heal up from injuries during the season, so it's just kind of going to be a matter of chance whether he gets dinged early enough to hurt his production.

18 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I also wouldn't discount free agency for the speed role. It would be nice to get a finished product rather than a rookie. And we don't need a big time all-pro talent since we already have that guy in Diggs. Just a one trick pony type. And for once we have a QB and offense that might actually be seen as a desirable destination for a free agent WR looking to get some stats. 

I just don’t know how $$$ shakes out this offseason.  My top two priorities are resigning Feliciano and Williams.   Depending on where the cap is set, we probably cut Butler, let Murphy walk and potentially let Milano walk to even make those two signings fit.   

4 years of cap controlled speed/talent at WR, with a 5th year option, is the way I’d go while we still have Brown under contract for ‘21.  

That guy is going to come into as good of a WR room as there is in the NFL to learn from Hall and the vets.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's possible that the sickle-cell trait he carries makes it harder for him to recover and heal up from injuries during the season, so it's just kind of going to be a matter of chance whether he gets dinged early enough to hurt his production.

He is a vet who would have been helped a lot by the training and health care staff which are one of the top ones in NFL during off-season but time was shortened due to COVID.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:51 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure it's "deliberate" in the sense of "I know - I'll avoid any mention of Allen".  I don't think his mind is slipping, either.

I think it reflects his personal perception that he really doesn't think Allen is a talented, promising young QB. 

He can no longer say bad things about a guy who is currently top-10 in pretty much every category for which you can rank a QB, but Allen is just not on his radar as a promising talent.

I think Aikman is the same way - on TNF was taking about "Diggs great reception" and "Murray's great pass to Hopkins" to end the game.  It's not that he's deliberately setting out to diss Allen (I think), it's just that Allen simply isn't on his radar as a promising QB who deserves props.

Edit: maybe this seems like a distinction without a difference?  The difference to me is between a mindset of "I don't like that Allen guy so I'm not going to mention him" vs an unconscious "let me see - rising stars at QB, who comes to mind?"

Yes. Agree with pretty much all of this based on what I hear from Cowherd.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:55 AM, BigDingus said:

Despite the setbacks & reappearance of some bad habits in recent weeks, I still like what I've seen of Allen in year 3.

The one thing I'd like to see improved is his ability to drop back, make a decision & release the ball in a timely manner. No running around, no sitting back perusing the field, just 5 step drop & sling it.

I

You will never get that from Josh.  He is wired differently and ti doesn't make sense to make him be different.   Go Bills

On 11/19/2020 at 10:47 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is fair to say.... he has talked about the Bills and Josh a fair bit this year and he has been like Cowherd always is... a bit extreme in his up and downs. He said it Monday I think. Maybe outplayed was an exaggeration but he basically said our drive was an offense moving and the QB on point and theirs was an elite player making an elite play (meaning Hopkins). 

As if on cue, Cowherd had his "Herd Hierarchy" yesterday and again put the Bills at #5.  He spoke almost entirely about our Defense and then at the end said (this is fairly close to a direct quote) "Their QB worries me.  Turns the ball over too much.  But he's an INCREDIBLE athlete."

Allen has rushed for 75 yards combined in the last 3 weeks.  What he's done this year is win games with his arm.  It seems clear Cowherd is just waiting to pounce when Allen has a "typical Allen game" as defined widely by the media over the last few years.