Allen 2020 stats (ALL 19 Games): 68.4% comp, 7.7 YPA, 104.9 Passer Rating, 52 TDs, 17 TOs (offseason talk starts pg 35)

I think Josh' next big step is learning that do-or-die behavior on the field needs to be saved for do-or-die moments.  Take the 2 yard sack instead of trying to twist out of the defender's grasp and throw the ball.  Fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up and make a play.

My favorite Josh play of all time is that 4th and 1 against Dallas last year when he dropped the ball, picked it back up and muscled his way through traffic for the 1st down.  It's probably his favorite play too.  He needs to internalize the difference between 4th down and 1st down.  "Discretion is the better part of valor."

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think Josh' next big step is learning that do-or-die behavior on the field needs to be saved for do-or-die moments.  Take the 2 yard sack instead of trying to twist out of the defender's grasp and throw the ball.  Fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up and make a play.

My favorite Josh play of all time is that 4th and 1 against Dallas last year when he dropped the ball, picked it back up and muscled his way through traffic for the 1st down.  It's probably his favorite play too.  He needs to internalize the difference between 4th down and 1st down.  "Discretion is the better part of valor."

Amen to that...hopefully this sinks in someday. 

On 11/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, GunnerBill said:

He did mention him last week in exactly that way. Think it was Drew Lock he was talking about and he said "he isn't Mahomes, he isn't Murray, he isn't Josh Allen." I don't think he thinks Allen is a star in the way we do but I don't think he is as down on him as people think. I have heard him at least twice say he thinks he was wrong on him coming out. 

I don't know... when he says crap like this the implication is that he's holding the team back from its true potential:

but the reality for anyone actually watching this team is that Josh Allen has really been carrying this team this season.

Allen might be the ceiling, but that's true of any team with their QB. But Allen is also the floor and if we're 8-3 with him not even playing to his potential... watch out!

Edited by transplantbillsfan

10 hours ago, rayray808 said:

when will we know more about Josh's knee? MCL sprain seems like the most plausible 

then again, with his shoulder they never did give details but he wore a brace and it obviously seemed to affect his play

it will be interesting to see how this one plays out... needless to say, I am nervous 

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

That Josh injury was scary.  Couldn't believe he came right back in and eventually scrambled for a TD.  

Even though he's a rare sighting, it seems like the few times Barkley has been in this year, he looks woefully unprepared.  Just awful.  I mean, the opponent is going to blitz on every play and he should be prepared for it if he throws. 

I thought it looked more ankle than knee injury, but Allen wasn't limping in any manner after it and played the rest of the game.

I'm guessing he'll be fine moving forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah CC is a good listen. He’s like Jim Rhome. What is hot today and quick hits that are massive generalizations. He was very pro Darnold during draft time and has reluctantly given JA props on occasion.
He sees highlights of games and knows the narrative ( having watched last years playoff vs Texans). These then meet his original narrative so keeps himself right. The only way for that lazy approach to change is for JA to win in playoffs. Stop Superman plays. It’s simple as that. Then CC will say he’s always seen his potential but as he said needs to stop Superman plays.

Just a couple points about Josh for this Chargers game:

-we had the big PI call on the first drive. 47 yards. 

-we were up late , by 2 scores in this one, so no big slinging moments to come back. 

-clearly the gameplan was to run.

- i think these above items need to be weighed in on Josh's statline. 

I think he had two bad throws, the WR screen that went crazy off, and the INT. He had a couple other bad plays, like the ankle twist play, and the bad fumble.

In general, he played good. He had some solid throws and runs, and I still think it was a decent game from him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

Just a couple points about Josh for this Chargers game:

-we had the big PI call on the first drive. 47 yards. 

-we were up late , by 2 scores in this one, so no big slinging moments to come back. 

-clearly the gameplan was to run.

- i think these above items need to be weighed in on Josh's statline. 

I think he had two bad throws, the WR screen that went crazy off, and the INT. He had a couple other bad plays, like the ankle twist play, and the bad fumble.

In general, he played good. He had some solid throws and runs, and I still think it was a decent game from him. 

They sat back it seemed.  Both helped and harmed with some penalties.  The PI was a big one, but there was also a roughing the passer on the 2nd TD drive, late hit on the field goal drive.  Then there were penalties that absolutely stalled some drives for buffalo as well.  Felt like the officiating was a bit over the top with the unsportsmanlike ones.  A play got called back on a hold on dawkins that i just didn't see, but they called unsportsmanlike conduct on davis too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2020 at 6:51 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Transplant, this is a great thread and love how you update each week.  Watch after this Sunday and the next, my bet is those numbers will go up.  I know SF can be stingy on defense, but without Kittle and Garoppolo, we should be passing on them all day.  

And being in a dome.  I don’t think Allen is a bad weather QB.  His best games come when the weather is perfect. 

• Like (+1) 1

One of the Joe B takes I completely agree with:

https://theathletic.com/2228964/2020/11/30/bills-chargers-observations/

1) Bills made an effort to balance the attack, but wound up uneven

Sean McDermott made it very clear ahead of the team’s Week 11 bye that he wanted to get the rushing attack fixed. The Bills returned center Mitch Morse to the starting lineup, slid Jon Feliciano to left guard and activated blocking tight end Lee Smith to give the power rush a boost. The offense responded with its highest rushing output since the Week 8 victory over New England and a much more balanced offensive approach. Devin Singletary and Zack Moss collectively gained 141 yards and averaged over 7 yards per carry. Josh Allen chipped in with 32 rushing yards. Despite those numbers, the game plan had some holes in it.

As in previous weeks, the Bills were intent on getting their backs to the edge and moving the offensive line with them. It seems that when Moss is in the lineup, they’re missing an opportunity by not having him run between the tackles and use his strength and explosiveness more often. It also would have helped the Bills mitigate Joey Bosa’ impact on the game. With the Chargers’ Melvin Ingram and Uchenna Nwosu not available for the game, Buffalo only had to worry about Bosa as an edge defender but did not avoid him on runs to the edge as the game continued. The decisions predictably resulted in multiple tackles for losses.

Overall, the Bills revived their run game Sunday. But at what cost? The Bills are at their best on offense when throwing the ball and making the attack run through Allen, and it never seemed in sync Sunday. Allen never got on the same page with Stefon Diggs except for some forced short-yardage targets. Cole Beasley was essentially a non-factor other than his touchdown throw. Allen missed on some passes, was intercepted after a poor decision to throw and fumbled the ball away. The Chargers lacked another legitimate pass rusher next to Bosa and were playing with a depleted secondary.

You never want to take away the best part of your own offense, and that’s what the Bills appeared to do Sunday. The Bills can still be an impactful running team without having a balanced approach. Good rushing teams don’t necessarily have the yardage skew in their favor every game; it’s all about the timing of your run calls and the effectiveness of them. The run game likely will not be the reason the Bills have success in the playoffs. If they want to reach their goals and chase a championship, their third-year quarterback needs to lead the way. When they’re on their game, the Bills have one of the most feared passing attacks in the league. It would be illogical for them to move away from that as the season winds down.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:01 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What younger vet in the 28-29 yr range do you have in mind?

I dunno about Brown.  He had two strong years, then his production fell off big time in AZ and they moved on.  So it's been a pattern even when he was younger to have a great year then the next year to be plagued by injuries, and he did come back from it. 

I think it's possible that the sickle-cell trait he carries makes it harder for him to recover and heal up from injuries during the season, so it's just kind of going to be a matter of chance whether he gets dinged early enough to hurt his production.

I’m not an expert on sickle cell trait but I believe it’s attributed to issues of cramping and hydration particularly at higher elevation. So not sure it’s involved in the injuries JB has experienced. To me he’s a game changer and without a suitable replacement ( hard to find), I’m for keeping him. 

On 11/30/2020 at 8:18 PM, QLBillsFan said:

Yeah CC is a good listen. He’s like Jim Rhome. What is hot today and quick hits that are massive generalizations. He was very pro Darnold during draft time and has reluctantly given JA props on occasion.
He sees highlights of games and knows the narrative ( having watched last years playoff vs Texans). These then meet his original narrative so keeps himself right. The only way for that lazy approach to change is for JA to win in playoffs. Stop Superman plays. It’s simple as that. Then CC will say he’s always seen his potential but as he said needs to stop Superman plays.

I don't think Josh Allen ever stops Superman plays...

The thing is... those could be the plays that finally win us a playoff game or 2 or even a Lombardi.

• Like (+1) 1

Joe B couldn't be more mistaken.  

The Bills are explosive when Brown is in the lineup, Allen is on, and the other team has problems defending the pass.  

Every week is a different season.  If you play the Ravens, you really want to throw it 40 times?  Or try running against Pittsburgh?  Can't do it.  

Watch how many times Mahomes throws this week.  Its going to be less then 30 because they are going to run it down the throats of a terrible run defense.  They are decent vs the pass.  The game plan will use more CEH.  Anyone in Chiefs nation going to complain if they win only 31-13?  

The Charhers run D stinks.  And barring those 3 stupid TOs we win handily against them.  In fact you can say even with them we still did.  They have a good pass D.  They got Harris back and mixed some things up on Diggs.   

We need to stop forgetting about Beasley.  And hopefully Knox makes a big leap next year bc this O with a legit TE?  We'll be near Chiefs level good.  

Edited by Big Blitz

How about that!

This was just an absolutely unbelievable game for Allen.  It's gotta be his best as a pro... and it was almost ENTIRELY through the air.

Try saying Josh Allen is just a running QB now!!!!

Breaks Jim Kelly's single season franchise record still with 4 games to go (see EDIT).  There was a love-fest going on tonight with Louis Riddick in terms of Allen... 

AND I LOVED IT!!!!

EDIT: 

They've been advertising Jim Kelly's single season TD record for weeks now and I thought the number was different.

It's 34 and he's one shy of tying that and 2 shy of breaking it.

Let's hope he does it in his next Primetime game  

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1