Allen 2020 stats (ALL 19 Games): 68.4% comp, 7.7 YPA, 104.9 Passer Rating, 52 TDs, 17 TOs (offseason talk starts pg 35)

20 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Very much so. First half he seemed to be too greedy, tbh, and was trying to force some stuff.

People were complaining about him looking confused/deer in headlights, but I never saw that. He still moved around the pocket well, but he just was refusing to take what was being given to him.

Second half, was back to how they played the Jest the first time, and he just worked the field with what was being given.

As pointed out in the Athletic article referenced above, the lack of TDs wasn't on him, but on others. Let's not forget either, that Bass missed a couple of FGs as well, and it was Allen who got them into those situations. A 14 point win, albeit all FGs, still would be far more representative of how the game actually went - especially in the 2nd half.

I don't think I was even remotely worried when the Jest got the ball back with a little over a minute to play, iirc. They hadn't come close to doing anything all of the half, and their last possession emphasised that.

Agree. I thought he was off first half because he was trying to force feed Diggs too much. I don't think he had the deer in headlights look. Wood touched I haven't seen that look yet this year. The Titans definitely confused him some but I didn't see that glazed over panic we have seen from him at times before.

• Like (+1) 1

Agree with a lot being said here.  

Allen’s “struggles” seem more due to refusing to take what the defense gives him than they do anything else.   His pocket awareness has become a massive strength and he reads defenses pretty well.  

We could help him by establishing any semblance of a run game to suck safeties up a bit.  Also, it’s not a coincidence that we’re easier to defend when John Brown isn’t out there.   

Even without a run game and John Brown, we can still be successful, Allen just has to be patient and then, we, as an offense, need to execute better in the red zone.  That’s never been much of an issue with Allen, so I think we’ll get the RZ straightened out.  The “taking what the defense gives him” issue... well that’s just going to be something we have to hope he evolves to doing when warranted.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I've got to be honest I think I am finally getting sick of the lazy Josh Allen isn't accurate takes. I think it's something that will stay with him for the rest of his career. Was reading a fantasy write up on SI about the Jets game and it was one of those lazy takes. The writer said not to believe the numbers and that Josh was his inaccurate self for the 3rd straight week. That he didn't allow for YAC. From that statement I thought it was pretty obvious this writer didn't watch the actual game.

I get it, Josh has a couple inaccurate throws a game but then so does just about every QB in the league. It's this label and some people are going to just stick to that.

Imagine being the guy that’s been sick of that take since March of 2018...😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.

Awesome!!!  

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Imagine being the guy that’s been sick of that take since March of 2018...😂

Agreed. 

We all can see that Josh has improved since last season.  

Those that don't are blind. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I've got to be honest I think I am finally getting sick of the lazy Josh Allen isn't accurate takes. I think it's something that will stay with him for the rest of his career. Was reading a fantasy write up on SI about the Jets game and it was one of those lazy takes. The writer said not to believe the numbers and that Josh was his inaccurate self for the 3rd straight week. That he didn't allow for YAC. From that statement I thought it was pretty obvious this writer didn't watch the actual game.

I get it, Josh has a couple inaccurate throws a game but then so does just about every QB in the league. It's this label and some people are going to just stick to that.

Agreed! When you hear people like Bradshaw and his 50% comment and others of the "lazy" crowd comment on Josh it makes me want to puke.

We have a 24 year old QB, who is 5-2 and in first place. He is on pace to throw for a 67.6% comp, over 4600 yards, 36:9 TD:int and 465 yards rushing with 7 TDS. If I hear one more person say if Sam Darnold was our QB he'd be doing better.......⛏️

Allen's biggest flaw isn't inaccuracy. It's missing throws like this:

That's an anticipation throw he could have hit right when Beasley makes his break. Instead he hesitated a second and pressure got to him. He has been better with these throws this year but he needs to keep improving to become an elite QB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2020 at 3:54 AM, Jrb1979 said:

That's like saying it's hard of win in this league. I look at other teams in the league each week and I see a big difference between the elite teams and the middle of the pack teams like the Bills. After 4 seasons with Mcclappity and Beane I expected the Bills to be in the same league as the Chiefs, Steeles and Titans. Injuries aside they shouldn't have had difficulty with the Jets. I think thats the biggest problem with many Bills fans that have been around since the Rockpile days. This isn't that NFL, it doesn't take 4 years to be a top team. 

Play that game against the Titans 10 times and I bet the Bills win seven of them.

That was an abysmal showing by the Bills, whether you want to blame it on schedule histrionics or bad coaching preparedness, bad execution, lack of concern...whatever...it was one of those games.

I hope to God we get to play the Titans again in the Playoffs. If we do, I'll make a bet to donate $100 to a charity of your choice we win.They didn't improve overnight, but they have gotten progressively better. I am rarely confident in anything in the NFL from week to week, but I'm pretty confident in saying the Titans are second to the Steelers in most well rounded AFC team yet further back in the pack than the Bills. They just so happen to have a team makeup that is good across the board rather than dominant in one area (run game included) so it's difficult to focus on playing to their weakness.

The Chiefs were very good in the 60's- very early 7-0's, decent to good in the early 90's and again since Reid became coach. They have only been very good/great with Len Dawson and Patrick Mahomes. And neither as on overnight improvement; the Chiefs with Alex Smith were a pretty darn good team and had been improving for a number of years. A *number* of years - not "overnight."

The Steelers are yet another example of a team that has been competitive since they got their franchise quarterback. Even won a couple Super Bowls. But they've definitely had their down years and aren't in the AFC Championship game every year. Their trajectory looks something like the Bills are going, minus a meteoric and fortuitous rookie season by B.Roth.

Point being, most of those teams that "turned it around overnight" didn't, and the big and consistent change was their QB, and those teams' QBs were much more developed coming in (even Big Ben) than was JA17.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's an anticipation throw he could have hit right when Beasley makes his break. Instead he hesitated a second and pressure got to him. He has been better with these throws this year but he needs to keep improving to become an elite QB.

I'd recommend you watch the All-22 on that play. It looks to me that when the "best" time to throw that pass - i.e. earlier as you mention and I agree - comes, JA17 is trying noit to get destroyed/sacked and moving the pocket.

I'm not sure I can blame the timing on him consciously waiting. It looks to me like he didn't have the opportunity to throw that ball earlier.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

I'd recommend you watch the All-22 on that play. It looks to me that when the "best" time to throw that pass - i.e. earlier as you mention and I agree - comes, JA17 is trying noit to get destroyed/sacked and moving the pocket.

I'm going off of the comments from Cover1 where he indicates that Allen could have anticipated the throw before pressure got there. If you have access to all-22 footage and see differently I can't argue with you. Either way this is certainly nitpicking but Allen has shown he is worthy of nitpicking because of the progress he's made.

On the flip side, that throw to Diggs that the broadcasters said he was late on, looks to me like it was a perfect play and throw that Diggs flat out dropped:

In this case he had to evade the pressure before making the throw. The guards were brutal in this game.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm going off of the comments from Cover1 where he indicates that Allen could have anticipated the throw before pressure got there. If you have access to all-22 footage and see differently I can't argue with you. Either way this is certainly nitpicking but Allen has shown he is worthy of nitpicking because of the progress he's made.

On the flip side, that throw to Diggs that the broadcasters said he was late on, looks to me like it was a perfect play and throw that Diggs flat out dropped:

In this case he had to evade the pressure before making the throw. The guards were brutal in this game.

Left guard was a massive weakness and the Jets kept attacking there.  I really hope Mongo is back this week.

6 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Still a lot of football to be played, but it doesn't look like he'll finish at 58%, more likely low to mid 60's. Which is still below average in today's NFL. Unless he truly does learn to check down, which he seems resistant to, which I approve of btw.

His completion percentage is not that effected by what I am seeing defenses do to drop that low.

That is probably an overly gloomy prediction.

The Jets often went to the same zone defense he has seen 3 weeks in a row and although the Bills sputtered in the red zone, he had a 71% completion outing and moved the team easily down the field racking up over 300 yards.

His opportunities for long-gainers has been reduced with the high- low coverage deep.

Allen's biggest challenge IMO is that he does press when our defense is getting rolled...these are maturity things that will take "the Allen project" time considering his limited experience playing anywhere near this level.

He has a tough stretch of games ahead, but just needs to focus on just his own execution and just doing his part.

It is still a team game, he needs to continue to grow in regards to learning to trust and let his playmakers make plays on those dumps and outlets.

I have seen progress there in fits and starts.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Happy I watched complete All-22 yesterday and commented on this in other JA thread. I have to look it up again (cannot right now), but I am fairly certain it was almost impossible to throw this even with anticipation before the pocket collapsed. Beasley's route just did not develop enough.

When Beasley was changing direction Allen was already scrambling to the right. I am not sure if he saw Beasley, and if he did, I think he had time to set his feet and find him. But without setting his feet it would be extremely hard throw since he was scrambling to the right, Beasley was open in the middle and it needed to travel ~35y in the air over defender. I do agree that this was a miss, just not sure how much we can "blame" Allen for not throwing to Beas. 

I found one more obvious miss IIRC in the whole game btw.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed. It is indecision not inaccuracy that shows up in the moments where he plays poorly. He starts holding it too long and he misses windows.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:04 AM, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. It is indecision not inaccuracy that shows up in the moments where he plays poorly. He starts holding it too long and he misses windows.

This is just another step on the journey. Last year teams were playing a lot of man and blitzing Allen to rush the throws.

He and Daboll were carving those defensive schemes up so teams started going with 2 (or more) deep zone looks.

This has caused Allen to have to process more and hold the ball a bit longer. Once he has seen enough of these, he will know where the seams and soft spots are and how quickly they close.

I expect that the anticipation throws will follow that natural learning curve. Patience, and a good ground game will help along the way.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/27/2020 at 12:37 AM, GunnerBill said:

Anyone who thinks we only scored 18 because of Josh did not really understand what they were watching. He was not very good first half but he was almost perfect second half and penalties and miscues from others stalled drives.

Below is actually a pretty good drive by drive breakdown of what happened.  Josh was partially to blame in some cases obviously.  I'll just post the conclusion

https://theathletic.com/2166434/2020/10/28/bills-jets-offense-film/

Individual errors doomed Bills touchdown drives: All-22 film takeaways

These examples indicate that many of the Bills’ issues are fixable. First, the Bills need to stress to Allen not to leave the pocket prematurely, which was a problem for him earlier in his career. He’ll likely see all of the yards and points left on the field and correct it this week. Second, the Bills need Jon Feliciano to take Boettger’s spot in the lineup. Too often, Boettger was the weakness on the line and caused drives to end prematurely. Even if Feliciano can’t play, the Bills might want to give Ryan Bates a look at left guard or give a spot start to one of their two veteran practice squad linemen, Jordan Devey or Jonotthan Harrison.

• Like (+1) 1