Happy with the win, not happy with the coaching staff

Beast

1 minute ago, dgrochester55 said:

I am seeing this in a better light than I was right after the game.   We are 3-0 and beat a team that was in the superbowl two years ago.    This was a game that could have been a disaster but they found away to win and Allen brought them back like a star QB.    I am still a little worried about the defense with the teams that we must play this year, but hopefully this was more the Rams having a good offense than Buffalo having a bad Defense.

I agree with all of this, but games are won by offense at least in the regular season. No team can't be caught on the wrong week. The Cards lost to the Lions, the Saints lost to the Raiders, The Chiefs were on the brink vs the Chargers. Even the best teams are giving up points. The Seahawks have given up 31 and 30 the last two weeks and everyone thinks they are the NFC favorite.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it the coaches who kept blowing coverage on Kupp and Woods? 

Looked like it was the cornerbacks from where I was sitting but that is just me.

It was the LB’s and slot corners

3 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

No excuse for Sean and Leslie. The plays that McVay kept running with Woods and Kupp they had no answer for. They couldn't tackle or stop the run. They played like they were accepting defeat. Dabol was great. He let Josh play his game. He rose to the occasion and put the team on his back. Diggs, Beasley and Davis are as good as it gets. 

How much can you blame the coaches for players not tackling?  When you watch the Woods TD, Edmunds should’ve been in perfect position to make a 3 yard stop.  Instead he over pursued a d got burnt.  

The coaching staff who -- during a complete rebuild -- managed to bring the Bills to two playoff berths?

The coaching staff who -- now that the rebuild is just about complete -- has a 3-0 squad, with the latest win coming over a legit Super Bowl contender?

The coaching staff who has schemed an offense that scored 94 points through three weeks?

You're entitled to your opinion. I just disagree with it.

The coaches are not immune from criticism, and there are things they could have done better today -- as is the case with MOST games. If you're angry with the coaches after today's game, though, you're barking entirely up the wrong tree. 

This is what makes America great, though -- the freedom to have wrong opinions.

• Like (+1) 1

People that are on board with this topic are obnoxious. We finally have a coaching staff that has our guys ready every single week and will make the playoffs again (hopefully win at least one playoff game) and you idiots think they suck.

You don’t know what goes into putting a successful team together that consistently wins. 

3 minutes ago, fishgrappler said:

People that are on board with this topic are obnoxious. We finally have a coaching staff that has our guys ready every single week and will make the playoffs again (hopefully win at least one playoff game) and you idiots think they suck.

You don’t know what goes into putting a successful team together that consistently wins. 

If anyone wants to feel better, go to the Jets message board.  It reminds me of the Bills boards about ten years ago.    Quotes include "Start Flacco", "Darnold is worse than Sanchez", "Thursday's game against denver is for the #1 draft pick" and my personal favorite "I wish we had Rex Ryan  again".  Really helps with perspective.

I agree with those who say we have a good coaching staff.

It is a bit worrisome that the D adjustments are not quicker.  Both this game and the last the D let the other team back into the game from the 3d quarter.

The slow adjustments may be a function of our team leading at halftime so its difficult to anticipate how the opponent will adjust. 

It's difficult for even the best coaches to adjust on the fly.  The DC will have a call sheet based on what statistically the opponent's O likely will call given down & distance as well as field location.  The DC can't just throw away his call sheet.  He's got to rely more on what the coach upstairs sees that the O is doing and on the D being able to execute the adjustments.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

How much can you blame the coaches for players not tackling?  When you watch the Woods TD, Edmunds should’ve been in perfect position to make a 3 yard stop.  Instead he over pursued a d got burnt.  

You make a valid point, but fundamentals is Sean's calling card. When the Biils shut down the run and hold teams under 17, they usually win and Sean and Leslie are credited. Not only didn't they tackle but Woods and Kupp looked wide open every drive after the interception. I'll bet Sean would tell you he got outcoached by McVay in the 2and half. 

40 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not just them. White and Wallace both blew assignments too.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills were gashing the Rams on the ground and got away from it in the second half, up by 25.

It reminded me of them folding in Houston last year.

We have the talent but I am starting to question if we have the coaching to take the next step.

Honestly, what happened today in the 2nd half was inexcusable.

I don't know if it was the playcalling, but it did feel like the Houston game.  They seemed to get away from what had been working.  But the Rams defense also showed up.  The offensive line was having real trouble protecting Allen.   It was a dogfight. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, the defense wasn't good today. But 

Offense being ahead of defense is the trend across the league so I don't know if it's an indicator. McVay is also one of the best in the league.

However, I'll happily trade some concern with the defense for the scoring output we are getting and for efficient Josh Allen.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How about a little credit to an elite opponent?

Just wait till our Bills have to play a real team...isn't that how the media spins our wins each week :)

Glad for the win,, but ok saying there is a lot of poor play on the defensive side of the ball the Bills will need to correct to turn around these 2nd half collapses that have become a theme.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills were gashing the Rams on the ground and got away from it in the second half, up by 25.

It reminded me of them folding in Houston last year.

We have the talent but I am starting to question if we have the coaching to take the next step.

Honestly, what happened today in the 2nd half was inexcusable.

Congrats. I completed the trifecta of emotions for ya

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if it was the playcalling, but it did feel like the Houston game.  They seemed to get away from what had been working.  But the Rams defense also showed up.  The offensive line was having real trouble protecting Allen.   It was a dogfight. 

Yes your right & I did have a dog in the fight & the better dog won.

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills ran 29 offensive plays in the first half. 15 runs for 71 yards. The best they have run the ball so far this season. They passed the ball 14 times for 128 yards. Great balance.

In the second half the Bills ran the ball 6 times for 30 yards.....still very successful. They threw the ball 19 times for 183 yards.

From the time the Bills took the lead at 28-3, until they fell behind 32-28, they were credited with two runs.....back to back by Singletary that resulted in a 1st down to begin the drive after the Rams closed the lead to 28-25. The result of those two runs? 5 yards and 17 yards gained.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58202/BUF_Gamebook.pdf

That’s it. Two runs. They were having darn good success, up by a boatload of points, and abandoned the run while the Rams put up 29 unanswered points.

That is inexcusable no matter what people on these boards think.

Edited by Beast

McD must, must, MUST figure out wtf is happening to the team in the 2nd half (specifically 3rd qtr). It is a problem every single game.

That said, the Rams are a very good team, with a very good coach, and the best DLineman (if not all-around player) in the NFL.

35-32 sounds like an expected final score, it's just how we got there that folks have a problem with. It was just as much a fluke that we were up 28-3 as it was to have the Rams come back.

We still hung in and pulled it out in the end.

McD needs to get it fixed, but I TRUST he has a PROCESS to fix it.

We're on to Las Vegas.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

The defense wasn’t very good today. They got lucky to get out of the first half the way they did. They were opportunistic at the right times but not consistent. 

Cant rely on getting gashed then the occasional 3rd down stop. If the pattern is to get gashed those drives will eventually end in points.