Happy with the win, not happy with the coaching staff

Beast

Allen had a tough stretch in the second half. A fumble, two 15 yard penalties, and two sacks that lost about 30 yards.  

The defense gave up 3 quick scores. 

I dont blame the coaches for that. The coaches put the players in position to be successful, and the players almost blew it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MPT said:

Yeah we are 3-0 thanks to first half dominance and late game heroics by Allen. We are getting destroyed in the second half.

Look around the NFL today. Vikings blew a huge lead. Atlanta blew another big lead. 

We played a potential playoff team today and won. Theyve run up and down the field on everyone so far this season. Our defense has holes. Its a concern. Not sure what MCD could have done better to stop the rams the second half. Our DL was losing the battle at the LOS badly. Its a personnel issue imo not a coaching issue. 

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Allen had a tough stretch in the second half. A fumble, two 15 yard penalties, and two sacks that lost about 30 yards.  

The defense gave up 3 quick scores. 

I dont blame the coaches for that. The coaches put the players in position to be successful, and the players almost blew it.

Yep, that's certainly a big part of it. I'm glad they have a winning QB who can rally. I loved seeing Diggs yelling at the team on the sideline too.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Is it a sign of bad coaching when you go down 28-3?

It's much easier to make half time adjustments than it is making in-game adjustments.

I agree. The coach isnt out on the field. I think players lose mental focus with big leads and if you play a good team like the Rams thats dangerous. Our defense was absolutely gassed second half

This team had a 25 point lead fairly quickly cut to 18 when the Rams went back down and scored. There was then a turnover (on a bogus call) that the Rams cashed in on which cut the lead to 11. Then the offense does a good job mixing the run and pass getting the ball into Rams territory before a bad penalty and turnover by Josh get the Rams the ball at their own 35. By then the Rams were rolling with momentum and deep in Bills territory. The offense put the defense in a bad position and the defense didn't respond. I don't know if they should have been running the ball that much more because Josh was effectively moving the ball they just got a bad call against them and a sloppy play by Josh.

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

I agree. The coach isnt out on the field. I think players lose mental focus with big leads and if you play a good team like the Rams thats dangerous. Our defense was absolutely gassed second half

The offense turned the ball over twice during the Rams rally and had 1 or 2 (from what I remember) three and outs. That's not going to help a defense against an elite offense.

Just now, par73 said:

I'm alarmed by the play of the defense. The Bills were very lucky to get that PI at the end of the game.

Just like the Rams were lucky to get that INT call and momentum change in the 3rd. Except, as confirmed by the former head of officiating, the INT call was wrong and the PI call was right.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What do you critics think of the Ram's coaching?

Poor job by McVeigh in the first half. Bills had no answer for their ground game and McVeigh kept asking Goff to throw. 4th down call was dumb. 

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Just like the Rams were lucky to get that INT call and momentum change in the 3rd. Except, as confirmed by the former head of officiating, the INT call was wrong and the PI call was right.

Int call had nothing to do with the defense. The defense made three decent plays all game - Milano sack, the Wallace pick, and the 4th down stop(decent coverage but bad pass by Goff too). They gave up 3rd and 11 and 3rd and 8 when it mattered. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Poor job by McVeigh in the first half. Bills had no answer for their ground game and McVeigh kept asking Goff to throw. 4th down call was dumb. 

Int call had nothing to do with the defense. The defense made three decent plays all game - Milano sack, the Wallace pick, and the 4th down stop(decent coverage but bad pass by Goff too). They gave up 3rd and 11 and 3rd and 8 when it mattered. 

I'm sorry Ethan but I'm just happy with the win.  This whole thread is premature to me.

I'll enjoy the win and "worry" about next week later.

My original post was sarcastic.

defense gave up 500 yards  and a 28-3 lead  Until further notice we dont have a defense lead team anymore  Were in for a world of hurt with power run teams We also still cant run between the tackles consistently  Bad weather comes they better get this stuff ironed out

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Look around the NFL today. Vikings blew a huge lead. Atlanta blew another big lead. 

We played a potential playoff team today and won. Theyve run up and down the field on everyone so far this season. Our defense has holes. Its a concern. Not sure what MCD could have done better to stop the rams the second half. Our DL was losing the battle at the LOS badly. Its a personnel issue imo not a coaching issue. 

Maybe blitz once in awhile. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The "luck" you mentioned went both ways. I guess you were trying to use luck as an excuse, but it's clearly not a valid one.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The "luck" you mentioned went both ways. I guess you were trying to use luck as an excuse, but it's clearly not a valid one.

No idea what you are talking about. I said the PI call was a gift in the moment but when I saw the replay I agree it was a good call. It could have gone the other way. If that call was against the Bills we would be screaming the WR initiated the contact all the way down the field.  

The INT call was nuts. Not sure what they saw on the field to even call it an INT and certainly did not see a replay that showed Kroft losing possession of the ball to the DB.