Evaluating trades: Wyatt Teller breaking out

CorkScrewHill

I thought he could develop into a good guard given time, especially when the Bills went out and hired Bobby Johnson.

Not sure if developing interior linemen is Beane's philosophy. He seems more inclined to find passable free agents with a few miles of experience that are affordable to fill the depth chart.

Was honestly very surprised by the Ford pick... first that he was so high on their board, and second by going after that pick early they were committing to his development.

I am not knocking Ford, he was a man amongst boys in college, I only thought he would struggle with his lateral movement and pulls needed at an NFL level to be effective in pass pro and pulling.

I always think that young players can improve their craft, just that the Bills are going to have to show more patience with him than they did Teller.

I am glad for Teller and am pulling for Ford to make me eat my words:)

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not sure if developing interior linemen is Beane's philosophy. He seems more inclined to find passable free agents with a few miles of experience that are affordable to fill the depth chart.

I think he'd rather draft and develop tackles/versatile linemen and kick them inside if he has to.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

This is not a slam on the front office .. I am personally very surprised he is playing so well. He seemed like a good enough kid .. so good luck to him.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/why-wyatt-teller-is-the-browns-offensive-mvp-gotta-watch-the-tape-an-orange-and-brown-talk-special-edition.html

I'm not surprised.  Didn't like that we traded him but figured this Offense we run may not have been the right fit for the guy and he got traded for that reason.  Who knows.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Good point.

Once upon a time not so long ago, players cut by the Bills usually washed out of the league completely. 

Nowadays, they start for other teams or catch touchdown passes on Monday Night Football.

Overall, a great indicator of the depth and competition level of the Bills roster.

Any team is going to have players that thrive elsewhere but the Bills for once aren't just losing players that develop elsewhere they are losing players at positions that the team isn't lacking in. 10 years ago the Bills would have had a terrible oline and traded Teller who would develop for another team and the Bills fans would be hounding the front office because they could have used help on the oline.

Now because the drafting and development has been better the margins of the roster are stronger.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Good for him.  He has the tools, just wasn’t putting them together quickly enough here.

"quickly enough"?  He was a 2nd year fifth round pick... nonetheless the picks we acquired were part of Diggs trade, so I think most of us would have pulled the trigger on that

15 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

This is not a slam on the front office .. I am personally very surprised he is playing so well. He seemed like a good enough kid .. so good luck to him.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/why-wyatt-teller-is-the-browns-offensive-mvp-gotta-watch-the-tape-an-orange-and-brown-talk-special-edition.html

mark of a good team, good roster.   ex players doing well on other teams.   5 years ago , ex bills become ex NFLers

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I'm not surprised.  Didn't like that we traded him but figured this Offense we run may not have been the right fit for the guy and he got traded for that reason.  Who knows.

He was drafted when Juan Castillo was trying to run his very zone heavy blocking scheme. When the Bills moved on from Castillo they changed up their blocking style and while we do still do some zone blocking we do some man block concepts too. Cleveland run a zone block heavy run game and that is where Teller fits best.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Either way our line is still pretty well setup.  If anything it shows again that Beane and our FO have a serious good knack at identifying talent. 

I really, really hope Beane gets a long term contract extension through 2025 like McD. Does anyone happen to know Beane's current contract with the Bills?

Edited by Real McNasty

On 9/26/2020 at 11:37 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

They thought he was another incognito, so they made two mistakes there.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:40 PM, Brennan Huff said:

I was upset when we traded him. I texted my buddy who is a browns fan and told him they got a freakin steal 

And so far they haven't got one. He has been a serviceable player on a bad line or a backup on a good one. So a day 3 pick is fair value. He'd be behind Ford, Feliciano and Spain if he was still here, possibly Winters. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

And so far they haven't got one. He has been a serviceable player on a bad line or a backup on a good one. So a day 3 pick is fair value. He'd be behind Ford, Feliciano and Spain if he was still here, possibly Winters. 

What? Did you even read the article?