Evaluating trades: Wyatt Teller breaking out

CorkScrewHill

This is not a slam on the front office .. I am personally very surprised he is playing so well. He seemed like a good enough kid .. so good luck to him.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/why-wyatt-teller-is-the-browns-offensive-mvp-gotta-watch-the-tape-an-orange-and-brown-talk-special-edition.html

• Like (+1) 2

I think he blossomed as expected.  He's a beast in the run game, but still work in progress in PP.  

If Allen was more seasoned, they could keep developing him, but they couldn't throw Teller out  on the field 2 yrs ago. 

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 5

It’s the least we can give them for actually giving us a good draft pick to take tyrod off our hands. 

I liked teller and he had a ton of potential, he just didn’t time well with the window we were working with. Right by the time he takes that leap to legit starter level he’ll be due for a big contract too 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

This is not a slam on the front office .. I am personally very surprised he is playing so well. He seemed like a good enough kid .. so good luck to him.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/why-wyatt-teller-is-the-browns-offensive-mvp-gotta-watch-the-tape-an-orange-and-brown-talk-special-edition.html

Great, but if we had kept him for the last year and a half - where does he slot on the Bills guard depth chart?

His strength is and was run blocking and we are a pass first team.  He is an average to below average pass blocker.

My feeling is if he had progressed exactly the same (so if you put him on the Bills right now) - he is 4th or 5th on the depth chart at best.

Spain, Feliciano, and Ford are all better and I think Winter beats him out also.  I think he is competing with Boettger for a roster spot.

I am not really surprised - he showed some talent in his limited time starting, but he showed his greatest strength in run blocking and a nastiness that was replaced by Feliciano who is also a better pass blocker.

I look at it as the Bills FO got something for a guy that would not really fit their long term vision of the team and I am fine with that.

• Like (+1) 3

The truth is this: Right, wrong, or otherwise, he would have been cut by Buffalo if he wasn't traded away instead.

At least we got a 5th back instead of nothing at all.

Also, good for Teller. Seems like a good dude and is fun to watch. I'm rooting for him in every game where the Browns' opponent is not the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Teller probably wouldn't have gotten the snaps needed here last year to help him develop. Spain was proven and playing well and Mongo was having a good year. The Bills basically got back the pick they spent on him and the Browns developed him in 2019 due to their oline issues and now he is playing well. A case of good timing for the Browns.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

The truth is this: Right, wrong, or otherwise, he would have been cut by Buffalo if he wasn't traded away instead.

At least we got a 5th back instead of nothing at all.

Also, good for Teller. Seems like a good dude and is fun to watch. I'm rooting for him in every game where the Browns' opponent is not the Bills.

Another thing is that the Browns have a very good oline coach and they gave Teller a lot of snaps in 2019 where he was inconsistent. There is no guarantee that with this teams coaching and with less playing time he breaks out in the same way. When you have a good team players that are on the margins of your roster will go on to have success elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Another thing is that the Browns have a very good oline coach and they gave Teller a lot of snaps in 2019 where he was inconsistent. There is no guarantee that with this teams coaching and with less playing time he breaks out in the same way. When you have a good team players that are on the margins of your roster will go on to have success elsewhere.

Good point.

Once upon a time not so long ago, players cut by the Bills usually washed out of the league completely. 

Nowadays, they start for other teams or catch touchdown passes on Monday Night Football.

Overall, a great indicator of the depth and competition level of the Bills roster.

• Like (+1) 1