Amy Coney Barrett

Tiberius

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

All of this was set in motion when RBG selfishly decided to stay on the court instead of retiring when Obama was President. She was sure Hilary would win. She was wrong! The change you’re going to see will be that Justices will do more calculus as to when they retire. It’s not hard. If they care about more than their own ego they’ll retire while their ‘side’ holds the White House, and possibly the Senate, and preferably BEFORE an election year. 

Early start for you. Dang! Good morning 

Only a fool would refuse the leverage that is available to them. ACB was the pick. She will be number 9 on the SCOTUS. Case closed. Politics has always been a dirty business. To think that it is worse now than previous generations, you might just be a tad naive. Time to grow up.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Early start for you. Dang! Good morning 

Good morning! Not early. Just another day for a working stiff. A cup of coffee, some quiet time, and a chance to catch up on the latest left wing lunacy and hate speech. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, shoshin said:

Graham was not alone either. The premise of not holding hearings on Garland was that it was an election year--10 months before the election. That's the word they went back on. They all know what they did but they are acting expediently and coming up with new rationale because it's to their benefit. 

This is your Scalia was assassinated theory, I assume?

seems the Senate was fully aware of the dirty tricks being perpetrated during the Obama administration

now that the curtain has been pulled back on an attempted coup by those same Obama officials against a duly elected US Presidient

why are you so flabbergasted that Scalia's death probably was not natural 

His death was mysterious, not investigated, no autopsy - and conveniently cleared a seat on the Supreme Court for Obama to fill

in their arrogance, it was a slam dunk

Hence, why O'connell did not reward their duplicity

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

Only a fool would refuse the leverage that is available to them. ACB was the pick. She will be number 9 on the SCOTUS. Case closed. Politics has always been a dirty business. To think that it is worse now than previous generations, you might just be a tad naive. Time to grow up.

It is worse now.  

5 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I believe it was within McConnell's full statement on the matter, but I could be mistaken. Neither one (Kavanaugh or Barrett) would've likely happened if the Democrats didn't change the rules, by the way. Simple majority vs 2/3 led to this. Regardless, I agree that the Democrats will seek revenge for the Republicans taking advantage of their own rule change.

You do realize it was the Republicans who changed the voting rules on the Supreme Court, right?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Graham was wrong, but the point was more that despite electing a democrat as president in 2012, the senate went republican in 2014 'to put a check on the president' those circumstances are not replicated here.

No it wasn't. The senate just won back typical Republican strongholds that they lost due to the popularity of Obama in 2008.

"Mark Begich of Alaska lost to Dan Sullivan, Mark Pryor of Arkansas lost to Tom Cotton, Mark Udall of Colorado lost to Cory Gardner, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana lost to Bill Cassidy and Kay Hagan of North Carolina lost to Thom Tillis.

The Republicans also picked up another 4 open seats in Iowa, Montana, South Dakota and West Virginia."

Outside of North Carolina they just won back states they normally would win. It wasn't a pushback on the President. It was the luck of a map.

12 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

You do realize it was the Republicans who changed the voting rules on the Supreme Court, right?

Indeed, utilizing the precedent for other federal appointments set by Harry Reid. Wasn't it McConnell himself who said they would regret setting that precedent? 

8 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

No it wasn't. The senate just won back typical Republican strongholds that they lost due to the popularity of Obama in 2008.

"Mark Begich of Alaska lost to Dan Sullivan, Mark Pryor of Arkansas lost to Tom Cotton, Mark Udall of Colorado lost to Cory Gardner, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana lost to Bill Cassidy and Kay Hagan of North Carolina lost to Thom Tillis.

The Republicans also picked up another 4 open seats in Iowa, Montana, South Dakota and West Virginia."

Outside of North Carolina they just won back states they normally would win. It wasn't a pushback on the President. It was the luck of a map.

So they only took back the majority, like I said? You'd think that if the country didn't want the President held in check they would've stuck with the party...

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Indeed, utilizing the precedent for other federal appointments set by Harry Reid. Wasn't it McConnell himself who said they would regret setting that precedent? 

So they only took back the majority, like I said? You'd think that if the country didn't want the President held in check they would've stuck with the party...

He did. He also said things like We will make Obama a one term President and we will not appointment a Supreme Court Justice in an election year.

They took back the majority based on seats they would have had anyways if not for the huge Obama wave in 2008.

Thank you for using that logical though. Now we can say, looking at 2020, you'd think if the country didn't want the Supreme Court packed they wouldn't have given the Dems the House, Senate and White House (assuming the polls hold true).

1 minute ago, Backintheday544 said:

Thank you for using that logical though. Now we can say, looking at 2020, you'd think if the country didn't want the Supreme Court packed they wouldn't have given the Dems the House, Senate and White House (assuming the polls hold true).

I think if the Democrats win the presidency, senate, and house that it shows that the country supports their plan/platform over the current group, yes. Biden has gone out of his way to not give an answer about court packing, so probably not the best example. Based on the elections occurring the Senate seems unlikely, though maybe in '22.

55 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think if the Democrats win the presidency, senate, and house that it shows that the country supports their plan/platform over the current group, yes. Biden has gone out of his way to not give an answer about court packing, so probably not the best example. Based on the elections occurring the Senate seems unlikely, though maybe in '22.

I think most polls are showing a likely 51-49 Dem advantage in the senate. Biden gave the answer the Republicans gave in 2016. He wants the American people to pick. If the American people put the House/Senate/White House in Dem hands, then he will pack. That's my reading on what he has said.

51 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

I think most polls are showing a likely 51-49 Dem advantage in the senate. Biden gave the answer the Republicans gave in 2016. He wants the American people to pick. If the American people put the House/Senate/White House in Dem hands, then he will pack. That's my reading on what he has said.

The last I saw he said that the American people didn't deserve to know his stance. Maybe he clarified during his town hall? I can't imagine the message played well with people. 

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/13/biden-says-voters-dont-deserve-know-his-position-court-packing-thats-unacceptable/

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The last I saw he said that the American people didn't deserve to know his stance. Maybe he clarified during his town hall? I can't imagine the message played well with people. 

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/13/biden-says-voters-dont-deserve-know-his-position-court-packing-thats-unacceptable/

It was an out of context reaction quote. 

Plus the American voters basically already know who they're voting for. Polls show undecideds are 2-4 percent. Anyone undecided this close to the election is probably not voting.

58 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

...ease up Big Dawg......the teleprompter did NOT have an answer......

16 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

It was an out of context reaction quote.

Can you give me the context that this reaction is proper? He had been asked the question several time before this moment so please don't say he was unaware it might come up.