Amy Coney Barrett

Tiberius

4 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Cannot the same be said that the Dems warned McConnell if you fill RGB with Barrett during an election year (which is his opposite position with Garland)  that they'll pack the courts using the technique of McConnell's getting rid of the Supreme Court filabuster. You know, you reap what you sow.

Yep. Dangerous game of chicken that should have never started. No winners here.

That said, Democrats are not going to pack the court if Biden wins. However, if Trump somehow wins -- and the court somehow shifts to 7-2 -- and a Democrat wins in 2026 -- I'd change my bet.

1 minute ago, Golden Goat said:

Yep. Dangerous game of chicken that should have never started. No winners here.

That said, Democrats are not going to pack the court if Biden wins. However, if Trump somehow wins -- and the court somehow shifts to 7-2 -- and a Democrat wins in 2026 -- I'd change my bet.

The Dems packing the court is contingent on them winning the Senate.

Will he or won't he, it is hard to tell. If he does it, who will it anger? The right. They're not voting for him anyways. In a scenario where the Dems control the House, Senate and White House, you're going to take a gamble then on if Dems can keep the get out to vote in the mid-terms (historically that hasn't happened).

Not doing it angers the left. I personally think Biden is only there for 4 years anyways so that could give them some coverage in 2026 to still keep an engaged left.

I would say go for it. Since Trump was sworn in, the Dems have been more engaged then ever (similar to the Tea Party post Obama). What can the Dems do to keep that momentum, whereas the Tea Party lost theirs?

13 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Read my response to Alf a few posts above

Not to go off topic but on your points:

I lived in DC. It's crazy it's not a state. The only reason it's not a state is politics at this point. Republicans don't want it because it adds two more Dem senators.

Not adding DC does keep more of a competitive balance to the Senate where either party has a shot to win.

If you support keeping the Senate the way it is, why not support keeping the Supreme Court similar in structure? Let the Dems add 4 judges of Barrett passes. 3 liberal and 1 moderate. The court will then have a similar make up and no one party is in control.

The Democrats will not pack the Supreme Court.  The party is led by stupid people but there is a floor to even that level of stupidity.  

It's mutually assured destruction because they assume that the tactic will be warmly received by the American public (it won't) and that the Republicans will never win the White House or Senate ever again where they will write the rules. (they will).  

The DNC is a fractured party.  The Biden/Obama/Clinton "legacy" Democrats will be playing a game of desperate keep away in a Biden administration from not only the Harris camp, which has their own plans  - but also the fringe of the party,  which is a danger to both camps.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

The Dems packing the court is contingent on them winning the Senate.

Will he or won't he, it is hard to tell. If he does it, who will it anger? The right. They're not voting for him anyways. In a scenario where the Dems control the House, Senate and White House, you're going to take a gamble then on if Dems can keep the get out to vote in the mid-terms (historically that hasn't happened).

Not doing it angers the left. I personally think Biden is only there for 4 years anyways so that could give them some coverage in 2026 to still keep an engaged left.

I would say go for it. Since Trump was sworn in, the Dems have been more engaged then ever (similar to the Tea Party post Obama). What can the Dems do to keep that momentum, whereas the Tea Party lost theirs?

You omitted one key word in your post -- "Independents." We're out there. Lots of us. And we sway elections. Many wouldn't approve of court-packing, and if Democrats win and go that route, they'd better pass stuff quickly, because they'd likely get squashed in the midterms. This election absolutely is a referendum on Trump. The 2022 midterms will be a referendum on Biden/Harris.

As for the Tea Party: To me, they're the "Squad" Democrats. Their beliefs are not representative of most Americans', and they're mostly looking to pick a fight -- even if it's with their own side. If Biden wins -- heck, even if the Democrats take the Senate, too -- it won't be smooth sailing. The radicals in the party will try to move Biden far left, and if he does that -- full circle -- he pi$$es off many Independents. Unfortunately, that's politics on both sides, and that's why Americans consistently lose, regardless of who "wins."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's not my party. 

I think this is all way overblown: Dems harp on voter suppression every election (I can't wait till the stories of "long lines waiting to vote" and "misdirected to the wrong polling place" on the afternoon of November 3), and now we have Repubs joining in with "voter fraud" (watch for the "more ballots cast than people living in [Dem] precinct" stories).

Joining in???????????? Where the **** have you been the last 20 plus years? 

47 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Not to go off topic but on your points:

I lived in DC. It's crazy it's not a state. The only reason it's not a state is politics at this point. Republicans don't want it because it adds two more Dem senators.

Not adding DC does keep more of a competitive balance to the Senate where either party has a shot to win.

If you support keeping the Senate the way it is, why not support keeping the Supreme Court similar in structure? Let the Dems add 4 judges of Barrett passes. 3 liberal and 1 moderate. The court will then have a similar make up and no one party is in control.

First, DC is not a state because it was set up under the Constitution as a neutral seat of the federal government and it should stay that way. Don't like it, change the Constitution.

As I said earlier, I don't particularly care the politics of a justice, but either should they because their job is to rule on the law, not make the law vis legislate from the bench.

edit to add, the Dems also want to add PR and possibly Guam too, meaning the Senate would be Dem into perpetuity.... 

Edited by Cinga

Today the Senate Judiciary Committee had opening statements from senators and the SCOTUS nominee, Judge Amy Coney Barrett. You might have seen some or all of it on any of a number of media outlets, except perhaps CNN. Jeff Greenfield wanted to know why CNN didn’t find today’s hearing to be a high priority:

Judiciary Committee member, Sen. Ted Cruz, was happy to provide a possibility:

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

It did though when McConnell made up some dumb rule 4 years ago that never existed before.

This is false..........as you know.

• Like (+1) 1

....no need to say anything more........repulsive destruction........sad..............

Sen. Kennedy laments how Kavanaugh hearings played out: ‘It was a freak show’

Kennedy made the comments during hearings on nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court

Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., speaking Monday during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, decried how the confirmation hearings for Justice Brett Kavanaugh played out, calling them a “freak show.”

Kennedy made the comments while speaking directly to Barrett. The Republican senator acknowledged how quickly the confirmation process can be derailed by partisan attacks.

“Now, Judge, I understand this thing can turn sour real fast,” Kennedy told Barrett. “We all watched the hearings for Justice Kavanagh. It was a freak show. It looked like the cantina bar scene out of Star Wars.”

The confirmation process for Justice Brett Kavanaugh was overshadowed by allegations of past sexual misconduct that threatened to derail his confirmation. Kavanaugh vehemently denied all the accusations.

Kennedy further criticized the harsh treatment Barrett has received since President Trump formally nominated her late last month following the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-kennedy-kavanaugh-hearings-freak-show

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

removing Scalia looks more like another orchestrated op

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

That said, Democrats are not going to pack the court if Biden wins. 

I believe you are incorrect but hope that you are right. The historical precedent for 11 or 13 Justices is that 9 was based on the then-number of Circuit Courts of appeal. We are at 11 plus 2 these days. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Joining in???????????? Where the **** have you been the last 20 plus years? 

First, DC is not a state because it was set up under the Constitution as a neutral seat of the federal government and it should stay that way. Don't like it, change the Constitution.

As I said earlier, I don't particularly care the politics of a justice, but either should they because their job is to rule on the law, not make the law vis legislate from the bench.

edit to add, the Dems also want to add PR and possibly Guam too, meaning the Senate would be Dem into perpetuity.... 

Yea but imagine what the founding fathers would think if you told them you could fit 700,000 people in 10 square miles!

7 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Feel the love from the lefty hate cult

...let's just keep relaxing mental hygiene......a dyed in the wool Dem, condescending, arrogant cousin and his wife unfriended another cousin on FB who is a Trump supporter....to quote, "you're a lunatic and probably unfit as a father raising children in such a radical household"......CAN'T make this stuff up folks.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

What about "women of color" who support Barrett's nomination? Or does the bigot assume African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Indians and Native Americans have a herd mentality?

Well, if they're not for whatever the Democrats want at the moment, they "ain't black".

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

No, what Trump is doing isn't "court packing."

But let's take a step back and look at what the Repubs did with the ACA (Obamacare).

- supported an argument in the Supreme Court that it must be invalidated because the individual mandate exceeded federal powers

- lost that argument when Chief Justice Roberts reconceptualized the mandate as a valid "tax"

- then cynically zeroed out the "tax" penalty, leaving the mandate hanging there with the taxing power severed from it

- then supported a lawsuit that the mandate is unconstitutional all over again, and that it cannot be severed from the ACA, such that the entire ACA must be scrapped.

In other words, they deliberately passed legislation that would make the ACA unconstitutional (in their view). Allow me to rephrase: they passed, and the President (sworn to uphold the Constitution!) signed what they believed to be an unconstitutional bill.

There's your "party of the constitution."

Edited by The Frankish Reich

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No, what Trump is doing isn't "court packing."

But let's take a step back and look at what the Repubs did with the ACA (Obamacare).

- supported an argument in the Supreme Court that it must be invalidated because the individual mandate exceeded federal powers

- lost that argument when Chief Justice Roberts reconceptualized the mandate as a valid "tax"

- then cynically zeroed out the "tax" penalty, leaving the mandate hanging there with the taxing power severed from it

- then supported a lawsuit that the mandate is unconstitutional all over again, and that it cannot be severed from the ACA, such that the entire ACA must be scrapped.

In other words, they deliberately passed legislation that would make the ACA unconstitutional (in their view). Allow me to rephrase: they passed, and the President (sworn to uphold the Constitution!) signed what they believed to be an unconstitutional bill.

There's your "party of the constitution."

Why not go all the way back to the beginning on the ACA? Democrats pushed it through without any Republican input...telling the public they needed to pass it in order to find out what's in it. Amazing how that unwillingness to work across the aisle on such important legislation that impacted nearly everyone and everything across our society has devolved into such an acrimonious tooth and nail battle. Shocking.

• Like (+1) 1