Time for Tyler Kroft to step up EDIT: He Did!!!

Inigo Montoya

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He sucks.  The end.  

but you are right.  I was never a fan of the signing but it would be a great time to earn his money.  Also, I’m not sure if he will ever be fully healthy.  Foot injuries are a killer for skill players.  Luckily, we have 3 very good receivers but man a good TE could eat on this offense.

I wouldn’t say he sucks.... I’ll say he’s probably not a starting TE, but he would be fine as a TE2.  The problem with Kroft is that he’s always hurt, so he becomes kind of tough to evaluate 

9 hours ago, eball said:

I think Kroft, now that he is healthy, will be a pleasant surprise to a lot of Bills fans on Sunday.  I’m not suggesting he should supplant Knox but he is a very capable TE in this league.

wtf?  Which league?

In his 6th season, he has one season with more than 11 catches.  Combining '18, '19, '20, he has played 18 games and has 10 catches.  In a single season CROOM was more productive than Kroft's past 3.

He's a bum.

• Like (+1) 3

One of Beane's very few misses. Was a dumb signing from the beginning. 

Lot of good TEs in next year's draft. Not a huge fan of taking TEs early but let's bite the bullet and finally solidify the position. 

Other than LB it's not like we have any other major needs. 

Edited by Process

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For sure.  I don't know if he just doesn't have timing and chemistry with Josh or what the deal is.  I see him open but that doesn't mean he's open in the right place at the right time for the play.

This is going to be a game of timing and "get it out quick" for Josh, and he badly needs reliable quick routes from Motor and from Kroft as outlets.  I just don't think we can count on the guy who hasn't shown it yet, to suddenly step up.

I disagree with you.  I think the Bills felt, based on his 2017 season, that he had the talent and they gave him the contract they did in the expectation they'd see 2017 Kroft on the field last year.

They paid him because there was competition to sign him. He was the only free agent that offered any sort of upgrade to the existing roster.  If they were confident that he was as talented as you suggest, he would not have been signed to a shorter term deal. They had no great expectations but they were desperately trying to fill a significant void in the roster.  His signing was criticized at the time by several different sources in the sports media.  Kroft was viewed as an average guy that just got over paid because of supply and demand.  It was also interesting that the Bills continued to bring in other guys to evaluate/try out even after the Kroft signing.  As we all know, they eventually went on to draft Knox and Sweeney.

10 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

They paid him because there was competition to sign him. He was the only free agent that offered any sort of upgrade to the existing roster.  If they were confident that he was as talented as you suggest, he would not have been signed to a shorter term deal. They had no great expectations but they were desperately trying to fill a significant void in the roster.  His signing was criticized at the time by several different sources in the sports media.  Kroft was viewed as an average guy that just got over paid because of supply and demand.  It was also interesting that the Bills continued to bring in other guys to evaluate/try out even after the Kroft signing.  As we all know, they eventually went on to draft Knox and Sweeney.

Huh.  Exactly what do you think I suggested as far as Kroft’s talent, “as talented as you suggest”?

His stats for 2017 and his play then were available to all.  Those provided evidence he could play in the NFL as a capable NFL TE, and that’s what the Bills expected (and didn’t get)

As we all know, Knox and Sweeney were both “high ceiling, low floor” projects when drafted (for different reasons).  They weren’t intended to start right away.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I find you to be overly critical.............

If you mean about Kroft, then I agree. I have seen very very little to give any confidence in his ability to be available and make a positive impact on the O. 

If you made a general statement about my posts,  do explain.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Offense is fine without this guy. 

The Defense needs to step up..

Without Kroft? Absolutely because he does not add anything to the O.

But the team in general will benefit from a competent TE especially in those games where the opposing D has a good DB stable. The TE position has been a weakness for far too long. I realize that not all problems can be fixed on a team, but I hope Gilliam can step up as the position is ripe for the taking

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Beanes has majic powers y'know.

I like Sweeney and hold great hope for Knox yet still.
Bills would do well to fortify at TE position asap. Ala the draft and FA.
Just a position that needs consistency from the #1 and 2.
also have some hope for the Hybrid Kid :) I think he might have something worth development.

Go Krofty !

They have already invested heavily in FA with signing of Kroft and Smith.   They can't pay premium FA dollars at every position especially when a  QB and MLB contract extension is coming up soon.

15 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think we will see a lot more 4-WR set with Davis on the field   I think Daboll  has more confidence in the rookie than an oft-injured TE.

This is my thinking as well....I believe Davis will definitely have a more prominent role in the offensive game plan this week.

Edited by Special K

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

They have already invested heavily in FA with signing of Kroft and Smith.   They can't pay premium FA dollars at every position especially when a  QB and MLB contract extension is coming up soon.

The draft looks to be where McBeanes will need to find gems for awhile.

But  when Kroft comes off the books? that opens up the budget a bit

12 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If you mean about Kroft, then I agree. I have seen very very little to give any confidence in his ability to be available and make a positive impact on the O. 

If you made a general statement about my posts,  do explain.

Without Kroft? Absolutely because he does not add anything to the O.

But the team in general will benefit from a competent TE especially in those games where the opposing D has a good DB stable. The TE position has been a weakness for far too long. I realize that not all problems can be fixed on a team, but I hope Gilliam can step up as the position is ripe for the taking

My poor sense of humor in regard to Kroft

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh.  Exactly what do you think I suggested as far as Kroft’s talent, “as talented as you suggest”?

His stats for 2017 and his play then were available to all.  Those provided evidence he could play in the NFL as a capable NFL TE, and that’s what the Bills expected (and didn’t get)

As we all know, Knox and Sweeney were both “high ceiling, low floor” projects when drafted (for different reasons).  They weren’t intended to start right away.

My point was that I doubt that the Bills had high expectations for Kroft when they signed him (and over paid him). They were desperate to fill a glaring hole with no good options. Stats didn't tell the whole 2017 story but the game film did.  He's an average receiver and below average blocker.  I do agree that they probably expected more than they have gotten from him.  Staying available to play has been his biggest failure.

26 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

My poor sense of humor in regard to Kroft

All good. I was really thinking that Kroft will be cut this past off season and was unpleasantly surprised to see his contract re-structure. It will of course be great if he turns out to at at least an average contributor to the O but his track record over the past 3 years has been dismal