Time for Tyler Kroft to step up EDIT: He Did!!!

Inigo Montoya

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’ve wanted a monster TE forever.  Such a weapon for any qb, especially a young one.  I don’t trust Knox ever getting there but if he does, 2 TEs sets can do so much damage.

I completely agree. Im confident that as long as MCD is the coach our defense will be decent even with average talent. We have the chiefs and ravens in our conference. We need to be able to score 30-35pts when we play those teams in the playoffs. Looks like theyre going to be around a few years with those QB’s. Maybe even the next decade. 

Josh is showing us hes the man. We have the RB’s. We have WR. Build the OL more and get him another big weapon at TE. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think we will see a lot more 4-WR set with Davis on the field as a blocking WR.   I think Daboll  has more confidence in the rookie than an oft-injured TE.

6 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I completely agree. Im confident that as long as MCD is the coach our defense will be decent even with average talent. We have the chiefs and ravens in our conference. We need to be able to score 30-35pts when we play those teams in the playoffs. Looks like theyre going to be around a few years with those QB’s. Maybe even the next decade. 

Josh is showing us hes the man. We have the RB’s. We have WR. Build the OL more and get him another big weapon at TE. 

I am yet sure about that.   The fact that we are into the 3rd game of the season and neither of our RBs have had a rushing TD or a 100 yard game.    Sure we have some RBs but not sure if we have the dominating ones that will put the game away

• Like (+1) 2

We need to remember that Kroft was signed when the Bills had nothing at TE and the free agent market was void of any real talent.  He was the best option available. That's why his original contract was as good as it was.  He was never viewed as a guy with the talent to be a viable long term starter.  If Daboll has no confidence in him, we'll see more four WR sets or more H-back/fullback formations  or a steady diet of Lee Smith.  I suspect that the Bills will run the ball more than they have in previous games.  LA has been giving up some decent rushing yardage.

And in the warm ups we have #81 hailing from parts unknown, Tyler, whoah watch out for that banana peal!  The Bills now have another IR designation with Tyler, two left feet Kroft.  

All kidding aside, I didn’t want us to restructure him, just cut him before they did it.  How deep would we gO if we took a stab at Hooper or Ertz?  The only saving grace is the draft class next year there is supposedly several TE’s, but that’s for a March 2021 conversation.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He sucks.  The end.  

but you are right.  I was never a fan of the signing but it would be a great time to earn his money.  Also, I’m not sure if he will ever be fully healthy.  Foot injuries are a killer for skill players.  Luckily, we have 3 very good receivers but man a good TE could eat on this offense.

This.  He stinks.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Kroft restructured his contract earlier this year and is essentially on the last year of a two year $10.5 million contract that is fully guaranteed.  Since he arrived in Buffalo at the beginning of the 2019 season he has had 6 catches for 71 yards and 1 TD.  You can do the math about how much money that is per catch.  He has battled injuries and has had limited availability.  Beane brought him in because he flashed some pass catching skill in Cincinnati in the 2017 season before being injured there.

Kroft is healthy right now, and with Knox and Sweeney out, he is the Bills' primary pass catching TE.  This game on Sunday has all the looks of a shootout, especially if we don't get both Edmunds and Milano back on the field.   The Rams' defense is going to be focused on Diggs, Smoke, and Beasley and Kroft could end up being Daboll's sneaky X factor in the game plan.  One thing is certain though, with Knox out, now is time for Tyler Kroft to finally step up and justify that contract.  

For sure.  I don't know if he just doesn't have timing and chemistry with Josh or what the deal is.  I see him open but that doesn't mean he's open in the right place at the right time for the play.

This is going to be a game of timing and "get it out quick" for Josh, and he badly needs reliable quick routes from Motor and from Kroft as outlets.  I just don't think we can count on the guy who hasn't shown it yet, to suddenly step up.

48 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

We need to remember that Kroft was signed when the Bills had nothing at TE and the free agent market was void of any real talent.  He was the best option available. That's why his original contract was as good as it was.  He was never viewed as a guy with the talent to be a viable long term starter.  If Daboll has no confidence in him, we'll see more four WR sets or more H-back/fullback formations  or a steady diet of Lee Smith.  I suspect that the Bills will run the ball more than they have in previous games.  LA has been giving up some decent rushing yardage.

I disagree with you.  I think the Bills felt, based on his 2017 season, that he had the talent and they gave him the contract they did in the expectation they'd see 2017 Kroft on the field last year.

I think in this game Allen is going to need/use a check-down option that wasn't so necessary in the first two games. That could be Kroft. It could be Gillium, for that matter-- I posited that in another thread. I'll be shocked if Lee Smith isn't active for this game, and I would expect to see him on the field quite a bit. It would be surprising to see the heavy four or five WR sets we saw last week. With Moss out, and Gillium listed as a TE, I would think a fair number of 02 personnel sets, and lots of 11 sets with Singletary. But I would be surprised if there wasn't a TE on the field on almost every play, even with Knox out, so Kroft should get plenty of opportunities. That's my take, anyway.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He sucks.  The end.  

but you are right.  I was never a fan of the signing but it would be a great time to earn his money.  Also, I’m not sure if he will ever be fully healthy.  Foot injuries are a killer for skill players.  Luckily, we have 3 very good receivers but man a good TE could eat on this offense.

Laura Kroft is a walking injury. Terrible signing and basically worthless. I'd rather put 10 lbs on Duke and teach him the TE position than waste anymore time with the tomb raider.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Kroft restructured his contract earlier this year and is essentially on the last year of a two year $10.5 million contract that is fully guaranteed.  Since he arrived in Buffalo at the beginning of the 2019 season he has had 6 catches for 71 yards and 1 TD.  You can do the math about how much money that is per catch.  He has battled injuries and has had limited availability.  Beane brought him in because he flashed some pass catching skill in Cincinnati in the 2017 season before being injured there.

Kroft is healthy right now, and with Knox and Sweeney out, he is the Bills' primary pass catching TE.  This game on Sunday has all the looks of a shootout, especially if we don't get both Edmunds and Milano back on the field.   The Rams' defense is going to be focused on Diggs, Smoke, and Beasley and Kroft could end up being Daboll's sneaky X factor in the game plan.  One thing is certain though, with Knox out, now is time for Tyler Kroft to finally step up and justify that contract.  

Could never understand paying him so much because he never had stats to justify it,  3-4 million a season tops and who else would have given more.  We know the Bengals are cheap so it wasn't going to come from existing team. 

The often injured Kroft has only shown a glimmer of decent play a few years ago.  He has a golden opportunity to show his worth in the next few

games or he will be nothing other than a vet minimum player after he leaves Buffalo.

If he can't do something now he may never get a chance again.  I hope he can grab a few passes.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

2021 is setting up to potentially be a good draft for TE with a couple worthy of going in the 1st round/early 2nd

i would love to see Kolar or Freirermuth in a Bills uniform

Allen is showing he is the franchise. Its time to keep adding tools to his toolbox - continue adding talent to the OL to protect him and pass catching weapons. Those two positions should be our focus rounds 1/2, then we can get a LB or CB rounds 3/4

I'll take Pat "Baby Gronk" Freiremuth pleaseeee:wub:

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’ve wanted a monster TE forever.  Such a weapon for any qb, especially a young one.  I don’t trust Knox ever getting there but if he does, 2 TEs sets can do so much damage.

It's hard enough for a team to defend against one talented TE let alone 2 talented TE's. Think of NE with Gronkowski & Hernandez. The problem is the really good TE's seem to have the size of a linebacker but the speed of a safety. They can beat most linebackers with speed and DB's with size. There are more talented TE's in the NFL than people to cover both their speed and size. If I was stocking a team I'd make sure to have multiple talented TE's, even at the expense of lesser talent elsewhere.