FO Analysis of Buffalo O-Line

Coach Tuesday

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I have had it before.  The questions are degree and how much. Tears can be partial or pulled off bone completely. Is it a straight tear or was there other damage with it? 

Heat/ice/ultrasound/electrical stimulation I went thru.  None of the newer technics or massages. 

One patient I rehabbed with used a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber and slept in it for periods of time.

Terrell Owens was an athlete which had one in his home and he was always in shape.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/pectoralis-major-tear-rehab-4771774

Since Mongo had surgery immediately, I'm sure it was a major tear.   The location of the tear (breastbone or upper arm insertion) was kept private as it should be.

A key difference between pro athletes and the rest of us I guess is that they get all the therapy they need to keep swelling down and so forth, as well as start activity as soon as possible.  I'm sure that makes a big difference if they apply themselves to it.

The Bills have hyperbaric chambers in their new AdPro training center, and John Brown has praised how it helps him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since Mongo had surgery immediately, I'm sure it was a major tear.   The location of the tear (breastbone or upper arm insertion) was kept private as it should be.

A key difference between pro athletes and the rest of us I guess is that they get all the therapy they need to keep swelling down and so forth, as well as start activity as soon as possible.  I'm sure that makes a big difference if they apply themselves to it.

The Bills have hyperbaric chambers in their new AdPro training center, and John Brown has praised how it helps him. 

The key difference regular people have in recovering from a torn pectoral muscle is not having to play offensive line and push 300 lb defenders during the healing process.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The overwhelming majority of these injuries occur at the humeral (upper arm) insertion. That’s the weak point. It is exceedingly rare to have a pec tear at the sternum and that’s very difficult to fix.

1 minute ago, RunTheBall said:

The overwhelming majority of these injuries occur at the humeral (upper arm) insertion. That’s the weak point. It is exceedingly rare to have a pec tear at the sternum and that’s very difficult to fix.

Thanks for the info.  I was reading some stuff about Type 1-4 tears but it had no info on frequency.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks for the info.  I was reading some stuff about Type 1-4 tears but it had no info on frequency.

It’s not a technically difficult fix at the humerus. You basically grab the tendon and nail it back into the arm bone. It just takes a lot of time to heal and tendons recover a lot slower than muscle because they have less blood flow. I wouldn’t expect him back for a while. I think the talk is a little premature. 

32 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

It’s not a technically difficult fix at the humerus. You basically grab the tendon and nail it back into the arm bone. It just takes a lot of time to heal and tendons recover a lot slower than muscle because they have less blood flow. I wouldn’t expect him back for a while. I think the talk is a little premature. 

So JJ Watt returned to practice 8 weeks post surgery, and played what? 2 weeks later, so 10 weeks?   I know that was considered aggressive and left questions about how effective he’d be.