38 years ago this month the Courier Express died

Albany,n.y.

My father in law was a reporter at the C-E when it closed.   Luckily, he was able to go over the the 'dark side' (Buffalo News) and continue a long, successful career as a "newsman" (what a quaint term, given how the media today makes as much news as reports it)...

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I had a friend who delivered the CE.  I delivered the Buffalo News and the Batavia daily.  I thought he was crazy for having to get up so early for his route.  

Awe come on.

I delivered it for three years.

Never missed a day.

Set me up as an early riser for the rest of life.

Good things happen before 8 AM.

Bad things after 9PM.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Awe come on.

I delivered it for three years.

Never missed a day.

Set me up as an early riser for the rest of life.

Good things happen before 8 AM.

Bad things after 9PM.

I was 12 he was 13.  LOL

I'm up at 5:15am M-F and earlier on weekends.  

I was a C-E paperboy, back when they had such things.

I have plenty of memories from that period of life. When the walk between houses was long, that's where I learned to read the sports standings (all weather at 0630). I remember one time when the Bills, Braves, and Sabres were all on top of their divisions. Sweet. I also had the paper route during the Blizzard of 77 ... just wow.

I remember getting mugged while collecting. :(

Due to the C-E, I was one child who didn't grow up in a sterile protective bubble. Thank you for that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I started Courier Express working classified and death notices in Summer of 1980.  One of my supervisors noticed me spotting typos and recommended me to editor.  I became an assistant editor who corrected typos and occasionally passed on other corrections.  These days editors barely correct typos and even though spell check is available writers do not seem to bother using it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I still remember the writing of Phil Rinallo in his "What's New, Harry?" columns...

Classic Stuff...

His son wrote a book containing his best columns.  I just found out about it & bought the book.  It should arrive later this week.  

https://www.amazon.com/Whats-New-Harry-Courier-Express-Columnist/dp/0692553584

What's New, Harry?: The Best of Buffalo Courier-Express Columnist Phil Ranallo Paperback – November 12, 2015

by Paul Ranallo (Author)

•