[Moderator Edit -last 2 pages] Moss and Knox vs. Rams

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Knox is super important to how our offense is run. He fills a nice H-Back roll. Kroft CANNOT fill that roll. Its not about pass catching. Its about how Knox lines up all over, and can block from numerous spots on the filed--Kroft just cannot do that. 

Gilliam will fill that role.

23 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I like how many have turned on Moss after just TWO games.  He went from being part of the dynamic duo for the next 5-6 years to being terrible in less than a span of a month. 

Keep up the good work...I guess someone has to be the whipping boy. 

I dont think thats what people are saying, but way to use hyperbole. I think what people are saying, or at least what I am saying, is that its not a huge loss to the offense if Moss doesnt play this week. He is a young RB learning the game at the NFL level, itll come but right now its not the worst thing if we get to feed Devin more. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who thought this about Moss.  I thought he had some of the quickness and shiftiness that Singletary has, with a little more power.  But Singletary is just barely quick enough to make himself effective, and so far Moss has looked to me to be just short of being quick enough.  He doesn't out-quick anyone and he doesn't outpower anyone.   Maybe it's the blocking, maybe it's the scheme, maybe he hasn't adjusted yet, maybe it's a lot of things, but I don't think missing him for a week is a huge loss.  

Losing Knox hurts more - he HAS shown that his skills can make a difference on the field, but still, I'm not too concerned about it.  Receivers get open because of scheme - Knox isn't one to get open by using special separation skills.  He gets open because the the offense is attacking the called defense in a way that leaves an opening that the tight end runs to.  Knox is good at it, but Gilliam can do it well enough.  Will there be a drop off?  Sure, but not one that should matter all that much.   Plus, I think we'll see Davis on the field in some of the tight formations where we were seeing Knox in the slot or split out just a couple of yards.  Obviously, Davis isn't the blocking threat Knox is in the running game, but Knox's blocking isn't striking fear in the hearts of linebackers around the league, either. 

I am not as worried about Knox because they had Kroft filling the HB role and he was fine on several plays.  I think Gilliam can fit in to that also.

I do worry a bit about Moss only because I believe we do not great RB depth and I think activating TJ Yeldon helps the pass game, but I get concerned about the running game.

As mentioned Knox is the big loss if Edmunds and Milano play. He’s a mismatch all over the field and even when he’s not targeted Knox has to be accounted for by defenses because of his speed. Blocking can be schemed, raw athleticism cannot. That’s the big loss. 
Moss being out makes me nervous only in the regard we may see more designed runs for Allen, and that’s a little scary with Aaron Donald on the field. Yeldon is gonna be active so please for the love of god daboll keep improving the screen game cause this might be the best week to utilize it and build off the success we’ve had so far this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Knox is super important to how our offense is run. He fills a nice H-Back roll. Kroft CANNOT fill that roll. Its not about pass catching. Its about how Knox lines up all over, and can block from numerous spots on the filed--Kroft just cannot do that. 

Not sure why you think Kroft can’t fill that role.  He did it just fine after Knox went out against Miami.  

Watch the Cover 1 highlights - at 43 and 53 minutes you see the long pass to Diggs and the TD to Brown both used Kroft as the HB and on the Diggs play he blocked the end 1:1 just fine.  He was also wide open on the Brown TD - along the sideline.

I assume - although that play was not included - that Kroft was also on the field on the misread with Brown that was almost picked.  I believe they used the same personnel on the next play which was the TD.

There did not seem to be any issues.  He looked just fine and would expect that to continue.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry but all the people saying Moss didn’t make a difference are missing something. Last year when Gore came in we had a noticeable drop off and the other teams knew it. Moss was an equal contributor to Devin and probably better at pass protection. He will be missed. 

Knox is missed less because Kroft can take his blocking role, as others have pointed out, and Gabriel can pick up his receiving spot if we want to spread the field. 

Edited by Locomark

Kroft, Yeldon, and Lee Smith will be fine. Smith may have even played over Kroft this week if Knox was healthy.  Expect more rushing attempts from Singletary and Allen this week.

Still however unless they are rushing really well early, I expect to still see a lot of 4 WR sets and keep the back into help block Donald.  Bills 4 WRs are better than their secondary. If they try to take way Diggs look for Beasley and Kroft to eat them up underneath just like Miami did to Buffalo.

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

yep,  Knox is underappreciated. Gilliam is the one who will have to pick up that role.  

12 minutes ago, CSBill said:

As I have declared many times, Reggie Gilliam will be the man. He has a break out day in Sunday. You can acknowledge my brilliance in the postgame afterglow threads.🤣 You’re Welcome!

I love the fandom and certainty here.  I hope your right! 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't worry your little heart darlin'.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/udfa-tracker-who-did-buffalo-bills-sign-after-2020-nfl-draft.html

Reggie Gilliam has confirmed that he will be joining the Bills roster as an UDFA.

Gilliam is viewed as an outstanding blocker and special teams standout.

That’s what I kinda thought was the analysis on Gilliam coming out. Hopefully he can learn the playbook enough to fill in at the H-Back more this week.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He moves like he has lead in his boots. It is the difference between he and Singletary. Neither is fast, but Singletary has fast feet. Moss looks the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man out of Ghostbusters lifting his legs up and putting them down again.

I didn't really feel that way.  I think he's looked pretty good personally.

I think Lee Smith will see "a lot" of snaps this Sunday to help contain Donald. I could see him Smith lining up in the backfield in those shotgun sets that have the TE a foot or two behind offensive line that they used during the first two weeks. I am also going to call "my shot" and say they have atleast 1 TE screen to Smith since like I said I think they keep him at home to help block when the Bills are passing.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He moves like he has lead in his boots. It is the difference between he and Singletary. Neither is fast, but Singletary has fast feet. Moss looks the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man out of Ghostbusters lifting his legs up and putting them down again.

Moss reminds me of "Boobie" Dixon. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I rewatched the game and saw Kroft throw many key blocks both in line and in the backfield. I am confident he can do the job.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Lee Smith and Gilliam will fill that role

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Confirmed WGR with McDermott.

No decision on Edmunds and Milano.  Going to see how they practice today.

Looking for a heavier dose of Gilly hopefully.......more touches for Motor - most def not a bad thing at all......