Inside track on Lawrence after 2 weeks?

4merper4mer

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Jets have a tough schedule and where is the talent?...

If Darnold stops being terrible, he could will them into a couple games but they are BAD...

Mekhi Becton looks like a home run pick at LT, but that’s literally the only guy on that offense that looks better than average.   Jamison Crowder as a slot WR could be added to that mix.   

Fant is average and is hurt now.  Their interior OL is a dumpster fire.  The mid-level OL signings are not looking too hot. 

Herndon, Mims, Perriman... average, at best... constantly hurt, at worst.   Bell... meh.  They’re literally throwing Gore out there as a bell cow back....

On Defense, they have a solid DL and Marcus Maye/Brian Poole.  Linebackers, trash... corners, trash.  

I want them to win some games.  I don’t want them getting TLaw, but I’m not sure why we all think they’ll inevitably win a few....  

If Sam can will them to some victories, he wins enough games to avoid the Lawrence temptation and saves his job.   If not... I think they reset and take Trevor at no. 1.  

Impossible to argue with this.  I don’t see a win for them on their schedule right now.  

3 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

I follow Clemson FB pretty close and while Lawrence is going to be the first player off the board but the freshman 5 star QB from California is even better than him. I would not be surprised at all to see them splitting snaps as the season rolls on.

Maybe due to blowouts... there’s no way, in a close game, any other QB is playing outside of Trevor.  

I spend a decent amount of time in Greenville, SC and also know a good bit about Clemson.  My only worry about him as a pro prospect is he has a tendency to have huge numbers due to throwing a decent amount of jump balls to monster wide receivers, while also having a back in Etienne that teams have to worry about.  

Burrow was schemed into hitting wide open guys all year at LSU.   Lawrence just has absurd talent and a bunch of big catch radius guys out there with him. 

If I was the Jets, I’d still run to the podium to take him though.  

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Maybe due to blowouts... there’s no way, in a close game, any other QB is playing outside of Trevor.  

I spend a decent amount of time in Greenville, SC and also know a good bit about Clemson.  

If I was the Jets, I’d still run to the podium to take him though.  

D.J. Uiagalelei  is a name to remember... Mauldin area here

23 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Who, to you, looks like they'll have the #1 pick?

To me, the Jets have looked bad but will get some wins. Jags, despite having a win, will suck, the Vikings are a dark horse as they look surprisingly brutal.  I could also see a team already with a young QB like the Giants or Bengals getting the pick and trading it for a boatload.  

Panthers or lions

14 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Unless they are idiots - the Jets have to take the QB - just because of the contract.  After this season it is 5th year contract decision and then long term contract time for Darnold and they have wasted his cheap years.  

Yes they could get a boat load of picks for Lawerence, but if you figure those spread out over several years - you are to the point of paying your QB 40 million and it will impact who you can retain.

Lawerence resets that window and let’s you spend on FA to build around him and use your draft picks on future talent to grow with him.

I just don’t see the Jets as getting a top 3 pick.  They are terrible right now, but I think around game 6-7 when the pressure is off - they will start to stack a few wins and end up with 4-6 wins by the end.  Darnold will get hot and some teams will overlook them and bam. 

I expect Carolina, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, NYG, Detroit, and/or Minnesota to all be in the 2-5 win range with shots at picking before NYJs.

Why would the Jets have to trade Sam in the event and they drafted Lawrence? Can’t they keep both and May the best man win?

6 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Why would the Jets have to trade Sam in the event and they drafted Lawrence? Can’t they keep both and May the best man win?

The premise of the OP is do the Jets take Lawerence and trade Darnold or do the Jets trade the rights to Lawerence for a bunch of future picks and build around Darnold - so ask the OP.

They could keep Darnold, but then you risk lose him for nothing.  If you are drafting Lawerence, it is because Darnold struggled again this year - so you are not exercising his fifth year option - so next year would be his last year.  If he is the better man and beats out Lawerence - then it becomes the Chargers and Drew Brees all over again.

It just seems if you can get another 2nd or 3rd - get it and find and pay a veteran that has a more similar style to Lawerence to install an offense built around his mobility and arm strength.  Someone that understands his role and isn’t playing for a future starting role on another team and might be there a year or 2 to help the development and growth.  Someone like an RG3 from Baltimore for example on a 2 year 6-8 million contract to provide stability and a cushion.

Edited by Rochesterfan

On 9/24/2020 at 10:32 PM, Warcodered said:

I mean if they fire Gase, Gregg might be able to pull them out of last. But right now they are just imploding so thoroughly.

I have it on good.....well authority right here that they are going on a tare so this may not happen.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:09 AM, Rochesterfan said:

Unless they are idiots - the Jets have to take the QB - just because of the contract.  After this season it is 5th year contract decision and then long term contract time for Darnold and they have wasted his cheap years.  

Yes they could get a boat load of picks for Lawerence, but if you figure those spread out over several years - you are to the point of paying your QB 40 million and it will impact who you can retain.

Lawerence resets that window and let’s you spend on FA to build around him and use your draft picks on future talent to grow with him.

I just don’t see the Jets as getting a top 3 pick.  They are terrible right now, but I think around game 6-7 when the pressure is off - they will start to stack a few wins and end up with 4-6 wins by the end.  Darnold will get hot and some teams will overlook them and bam. 

I expect Carolina, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, NYG, Detroit, and/or Minnesota to all be in the 2-5 win range with shots at picking before NYJs.

Spot on.  I do expect Carolina to pick up enough wins to screw their chances, their schedule is full of teams that should be drafting top 5, we’ll see though.

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

The premise of the OP is do the Jets take Lawerence and trade Darnold or do the Jets trade the rights to Lawerence for a bunch of future picks and build around Darnold - so ask the OP.

They could keep Darnold, but then you risk lose him for nothing.  If you are drafting Lawerence, it is because Darnold struggled again this year - so you are not exercising his fifth year option - so next year would be his last year.  If he is the better man and beats out Lawerence - then it becomes the Chargers and Drew Brees all over again.

It just seems if you can get another 2nd or 3rd - get it and find and pay a veteran that has a more similar style to Lawerence to install an offense built around his mobility and arm strength.  Someone that understands his role and isn’t playing for a future starting role on another team and might be there a year or 2 to help the development and growth.  Someone like an RG3 from Baltimore for example on a 2 year 6-8 million contract to provide stability and a cushion.

The absolute best thing they could hope for is a Rivers/Breese situation and then slap a tag on Sam, deal him for picks.   It’s hard to give up on Darnold, but in no way, shape or form do you let a guy as highly regarded as Trevor slip past you for a hope that you have the right guy.  Only idiot teams do that, it would be like not drafting Watson or Maholmes because you have Tyrod Taylor showing a lot of promise, there is NO team dumb enough to do that.

Really hope it’s an NFC team that ends up with the first pick...

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The absolute best thing they could hope for is a Rivers/Breese situation and then slap a tag on Sam, deal him for picks.   It’s hard to give up on Darnold, but in no way, shape or form do you let a guy as highly regarded as Trevor slip past you for a hope that you have the right guy.  Only idiot teams do that, it would be like not drafting Watson or Maholmes because you have Tyrod Taylor showing a lot of promise, there is NO team dumb enough to do that.

Ha!

On 9/24/2020 at 10:26 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Who, to you, looks like they'll have the #1 pick?

To me, the Jets have looked bad but will get some wins. Jags, despite having a win, will suck, the Vikings are a dark horse as they look surprisingly brutal.  I could also see a team already with a young QB like the Giants or Bengals getting the pick and trading it for a boatload.  

The Jets just look really terrible on both sides of the ball.  They’ll probably struggle to win in conference and play the NFC West.  I can see them

winning 2 or 3 games to finish with the #1 and probably trade Darnold for a second round pick.  

The others that you talked about...Jacksonville looks like a team that will win 5 or 6 games.  There is something special about Minshew.  Minnesota might not do much better but they have a lot of talent and are probably closer to at least 7 or 8 in a bad season. 

Cincy will struggle to win and could challenge for the pick but I think Burrow will be good enough to win them more than NYJ

• Like (+1) 1

I'm hoping he goes to the NFC just for competitive balance.

The breakdown of good young QB's.

AFC:

Allen

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrow- too early by looks like a great start

Watson? - maybe his team will hold him back? or is he not as good as we first thought

We have no idea about Tua.

NFC:

Murray- he looks special

Wentz???

Goff???

The NFC is stacked in middle aged to old QB's.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm hoping he goes to the NFC just for competitive balance.

The breakdown of good young QB's.

AFC:

Allen

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrow- too early by looks like a great start

Watson? - maybe his team will hold him back? or is he not as good as we first thought

We have no idea about Tua.

NFC:

Murray- he looks special

Wentz???

Goff???

The NFC is stacked in middle aged to old QB's.

and Justin Herbert for the chargers had a pretty good game against the Chiefs.