Inside track on Lawrence after 2 weeks?

4merper4mer

Its likely going to be the Jets, unless Darnold proves he belongs over the next 14 games.  The Jets front office set him up to fail so far, sad situation for sure.  NY has never fired a coach during the season, so we won't really know anything until January, but my guess is they make a run at Josh McDaniels and draft Lawrence.  They'll trade Darnold, cut Bell and build an offensive line.  Probably won't work, its the Jets....lol

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The 49ers after all those injuries.

Still way too much talent.  They are at least an 8-8 team.

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it's not really the same, moving on from a 1st round QB after 1 year is very different from moving on after 3.

Agreed.  The Browns have too much talent to compete for Lawrence, but I could definitely see them drafting a QB this year if Baker doesn’t turn it around quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Would they take a QB or stick with Sam and swap out of 1?

Unless they are idiots - the Jets have to take the QB - just because of the contract.  After this season it is 5th year contract decision and then long term contract time for Darnold and they have wasted his cheap years.  

Yes they could get a boat load of picks for Lawerence, but if you figure those spread out over several years - you are to the point of paying your QB 40 million and it will impact who you can retain.

Lawerence resets that window and let’s you spend on FA to build around him and use your draft picks on future talent to grow with him.

I just don’t see the Jets as getting a top 3 pick.  They are terrible right now, but I think around game 6-7 when the pressure is off - they will start to stack a few wins and end up with 4-6 wins by the end.  Darnold will get hot and some teams will overlook them and bam. 

I expect Carolina, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, NYG, Detroit, and/or Minnesota to all be in the 2-5 win range with shots at picking before NYJs.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

Additionally, I think it was in the Athletic- there was an excellent article about how the Jets window has been screwed up and how important that is to winning.  The critical winning windows look at Coach contract length, GM contract length, and QB Contract length.  The Bills screwed this up for years also, but the Jets have been in Hell with this the last decade.

You retain a GM and let them hire a coach - the GM wants to be more aggressive as his seat is getting hot, but the coach wants his own guys and QB.  They start to build, but then the GM is fired in 2 years and a new GM comes in.  Now the coach is getting on the hot seat, but the GM wants to build and therefore trades for more picks and basically sets the Coach and QB up for 1-2 bad years and then you reset the coach.  Now the new coach wants his players and the GM has wasted his safe years and you see the cycle repeat.  The Jets are still in that cycle as Gase does not seem sold on Darnold nor Bell - so Joe Douglas has to move on.  If they fire Gase and draft Lawerence/Fields - they have a chance to set up a 5 year plan where the GM, Coach, and QB all have about 4 years to make it work.

I believe they screw this up by retaining Gase after this year (lots of term left on his contract) and try to let him and Joe Douglas build together until the fans totally revolt (as Bills fans did with Jauron as HC).  Just my opinion, but I think the hardest thing to do is to get the Coach/GM/QB window aligned and set so that everyone has enough time to implement a plan and grow a team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Definitely a pretty good chance whoever it is going to be will be new and might not want to be saddled with a quiet possibly damaged 1st round pick.

Like what AZ did with Josh Rosen by drafting Kyler Murray.

I think it's hard to tell this year because technically the teams are still in their preseason . Usually there are 4 PS games seeing as this is week 3 i'm not sure any one can say who sucks or not .

A lot is said about how the preseason sucks fans & players alike want teams to only play 2 PS games but you always here the coaches & some players talk of 

Getting into game shape" as practice is a bit slower & not at full speed or full on hitting so it takes those games along with practice to get use to live action again .

Live Action (Turtle man i love his call) So i think things will start to show just who will be decent and who will not but i do believe given the Bills continuity they are playing really good only to get better with time on the field . So come on with Live Action !! 

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Who, to you, looks like they'll have the #1 pick?

To me, the Jets have looked bad but will get some wins. Jags, despite having a win, will suck, the Vikings are a dark horse as they look surprisingly brutal.  I could also see a team already with a young QB like the Giants or Bengals getting the pick and trading it for a boatload.  

The Giants, IMO, would have to take Lawrence if they finish dead last.

Who, to you, looks like they'll have the #1 pick?

To me, the Jets have looked bad but will get some wins. Jags, despite having a win, will suck, the Vikings are a dark horse as they look surprisingly brutal.  I could also see a team already with a young QB like the Giants or Bengals getting the pick and trading it for a boatload.  

I had not thought about the Vikings being in the Lawrence sweepstakes prior to the season, but now that I've seen them play, this is a real possibility.  They would most likely love the opportunity to walk away from Cousins given the chance.

Would they take a QB or stick with Sam and swap out of 1?

QB - 5 years of lawrence cheap - or 2 years of Darnold.  If he fixes things he commands a ton of money, which forces you to dismantle what you're building.  

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

I had not thought about the Vikings being in the Lawrence sweepstakes prior to the season, but now that I've seen them play, this is a real possibility.  They would most likely love the opportunity to walk away from Cousins given the chance.

They lost a ton on their defense.  But kubiak offenses can still make it happen with that zone rushing and PA.  I think they can win a few games.  

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Giants, IMO, would have to take Lawrence if they finish dead last.

Anyone should.  He's a polished prospect, and fits in like any modern offense.  Athletic, makes all the throws, a gamer in big situations.  

The top 5 in draft order will be:

1. NY Giants - The Giants could possibly not win a game all year without Saquon, but I think they luck into 1 or 2 wins. 

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - This race for #1 will be neck and neck between the Giants/Jags, with the shocker in week 1 being why they end up #2. 

3.Carolina Panthers - The Panthers have a tough road as well, but this was expected because they are rebuilding.

4. NY Jets - They will win too many to get Lawrence, but lose enough to have another top 5 pick to squander.

5. Detroit Lions - Patricia was a DC? Could have fooled me. This team needs to be completely dismantled and they need to start over. 

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This isn't s an excellent point.

Why? How many guys were supposed to be number one overall and went back to college and fell in the draft. Leinart, Barkley, Herbert, Marriota, and Tua are all recent examples of guys who were supposed to go number 1 overall and did not. 

If Lawrence plays well I think he will go #1 but he started last year slowly before getting better as the year went on. Maybe someone else will emerge. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why? How many guys were supposed to be number one overall and went back to college and fell in the draft. Leinart, Barkley, Herbert, Marriota, and Tua are all recent examples of guys who were supposed to go number 1 overall and did not. 

If Lawrence plays well I think he will go #1 but he started last year slowly before getting better as the year went on. Maybe someone else will emerge. 

DOH

Phone fail there.

It should have said "is"

• Like (+1) 1

Jets have a tough schedule and where is the talent?...

If Darnold stops being terrible, he could will them into a couple games but they are BAD...

Mekhi Becton looks like a home run pick at LT, but that’s literally the only guy on that offense that looks better than average.   Jamison Crowder as a slot WR could be added to that mix.   

Fant is average and is hurt now.  Their interior OL is a dumpster fire.  The mid-level OL signings are not looking too hot. 

Herndon, Mims, Perriman... average, at best... constantly hurt, at worst.   Bell... meh.  They’re literally throwing Gore out there as a bell cow back....

On Defense, they have a solid DL and Marcus Maye/Brian Poole.  Linebackers, trash... corners, trash.  

I want them to win some games.  I don’t want them getting TLaw, but I’m not sure why we all think they’ll inevitably win a few....  

If Sam can will them to some victories, he wins enough games to avoid the Lawrence temptation and saves his job.   If not... I think they reset and take Trevor at no. 1.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2