TNF: Dolphins at Jaguars, 8:20 on NFLN

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He'll never be Gesicki... Not as tall and big.

Grant, their McKenzie, is also noticeably faster than McKenzie. And we don't have a tough possession receiver like Parker.

It makes you wonder how we won on Sunday doesn't it?

• Haha (+1) 1

TNF Friday reflections time......

1. The Dolphins are a better team than people have given them credit for. They are young in some spots and they are not where the need to be yet, but this is a team headed in the right direction and subject to the Fitz to Tua hand off being well handled I think they could be playoff competitive next season. As for now, they are a team that will pull off at least a couple of big upsets over the course of the year. Buffalo getting out of there with a win was a good result.

2. FitzMagic but MinshewFailure....... I do kind of feel like this was father playing son. Minshew is like Fitz junior, he can have throws and even sometimes full games where he looks legit and then he can have days like yesterday where he is skittish in the pocket and inaccurate. They both have that real gamer quality to them but Fitz played another really good game last night.

3. An area where Miami definitely look improved on a year ago is offensive line. Now Fitz always helps lines look good by getting the ball out quickly, but they got some good push in the run game in the second half on Sunday and that carried over to last night. They drafted 3 guys early in that department and Austin Jackson and Solomon Kindley have played every snap so far as rookies. Kindley was a steal in the 4th round and he has got off to a nice start.

4. One of my favourite football games to watch each year is the East-West Shrine Game. It always throws out some relatively unheralded guys who go on to be players in this league. My run down of the guys that impressed me in the game this past January included a running back out of Illinois State by the name of James Robinson. I speculated he probably wouldn't run fast enough to be drafted but thought he could play in the league....... so far, so good:

5. Jacksonville's defense was woeful. Joe Schobert was a big free agency acquisition from the Browns at linebacker but he was shocking in this game. Constantly out of position and taking bad angles to the ball carrier.

6. Likewise Josh Allen doesn't quite look the same dynamic guy he did in 2019. Part of that is no doubt teams doubling him (and while it is hard to be certain at times on the TV angle it certainly looked like the Dolphins did some of that) but part of it might also be the general malaise around the Jags. He has to be one of their foundation pieces moving forward so they need to get him back to his best.

7. In the Tank for Trevor sweepstakes I still think the Jaguars are in play....... question is does Trevor Lawrence want to play for Jacksonville?

• Like (+1) 2

GB, on you’re one point, I e said a number of times the Dolphins are better than was reflected in the first two weeks.  Granted they lost to the Pats, but were coming back when they made it to 11 points.  The Bills were that good in week 2, not the Dolphins that bad and if we had Milano and Edmunds, we would have had an even stronger game.

There are a lot of new faces on that team with all the free agency acquisitions and 11 draft picks.  They will continue to get better this year, and I suspect we don’t see Tua until they hit the tough part of their schedule.  If I had to bet, I’d say week 10 against the Jets. He then gets a bye, and lays the Jets again two weeks later, then the Bengals.  That gives him opponents if he makes mistakes, it’s not like getting destroyed by the Seahawks.  He can play six games, I don’t see them as a playoff contender and can learn under Fitz until then.  I seriously doubt the Fins will let Fitz go after this year as they know what a great backup he is on the field.  Having him and a healthy Tua means they don’t have to keep 3.  By next season, probably not too far before there should be a vaccine to allow teams to get a little bit back to normal.

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Thanks War.  Woke up to a good laugh.  Boys watch this one as it is hilarious.  Poor Minshew and his 1970’s Johnny Bravo look (that’s an episode from the Brady Bunch where Greg’s alter ego looks like Minshew for you youngins).

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

TNF Friday reflections time......

1. The Dolphins are a better team than people have given them credit for. They are young in some spots and they are not where the need to be yet, but this is a team headed in the right direction and subject to the Fitz to Tua hand off being well handled I think they could be playoff competitive next season. As for now, they are a team that will pull off at least a couple of big upsets over the course of the year. Buffalo getting out of there with a win was a good result.

2. FitzMagic but MinshewFailure....... I do kind of feel like this was father playing son. Minshew is like Fitz junior, he can have throws and even sometimes full games where he looks legit and then he can have days like yesterday where he is skittish in the pocket and inaccurate. They both have that real gamer quality to them but Fitz played another really good game last night.

3. An area where Miami definitely look improved on a year ago is offensive line. Now Fitz always helps lines look good by getting the ball out quickly, but they got some good push in the run game in the second half on Sunday and that carried over to last night. They drafted 3 guys early in that department and Austin Jackson and Solomon Kindley have played every snap so far as rookies. Kindley was a steal in the 4th round and he has got off to a nice start.

4. One of my favourite football games to watch each year is the East-West Shrine Game. It always throws out some relatively unheralded guys who go on to be players in this league. My run down of the guys that impressed me in the game this past January included a running back out of Illinois State by the name of James Robinson. I speculated he probably wouldn't run fast enough to be drafted but thought he could play in the league....... so far, so good:

5. Jacksonville's defense was woeful. Joe Schobert was a big free agency acquisition from the Browns at linebacker but he was shocking in this game. Constantly out of position and taking bad angles to the ball carrier.

6. Likewise Josh Allen doesn't quite look the same dynamic guy he did in 2019. Part of that is no doubt teams doubling him (and while it is hard to be certain at times on the TV angle it certainly looked like the Dolphins did some of that) but part of it might also be the general malaise around the Jags. He has to be one of their foundation pieces moving forward so they need to get him back to his best.

7. In the Tank for Trevor sweepstakes I still think the Jaguars are in play....... question is does Trevor Lawrence want to play for Jacksonville?

Shocking how bad J-ville’s defense was last night, especially with all the young studs they’ve drafted on that side of the ball lately (chaisson, Henderson, Allen).  Fitz carved them up like a Thanksgiving turkey.  I expected much better.

And yes, Miami is not a bad team.  I didn’t like their draft picks this year, but they are definitely improving and finally have the right coach.  Agreed that getting out of there with a win was a good result last Sunday.  Thank God we still have the Jets to kick around...

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Normally I hate gimmicky stuff like Angry Runs. But I love it. He’s hilarious. The over the top element, which often ruins stuff like that, he repeatedly nails. 

Wharton I think, where he played field hockey with Arnold Palmer’s granddaughter. 

The iced tea guy?

Edited by badassgixxer05

26 minutes ago, mannc said:

Shocking how bad J-ville’s defense was last night, especially with all the young studs they’ve drafted on that side of the ball lately (chaisson, Henderson, Allen).  Fitz carved them up like a Thanksgiving turkey.  I expected much better.

And yes, Miami is not a bad team.  I didn’t like their draft picks this year, but they are definitely improving and finally have the right coach.  Agreed that getting out of there with a win was a good result last Sunday.  Thank God we still have the Jets to kick around...

I was mixed on their draft. I liked the Tua pick (think I remember you are less of a fan) but then after that I disliked their next 3.... thought Jackson, Igbinoghene and especially Hunt were all overdrafted. But then to counter that Solomon Kindley the guard out of Georgia and Brandon Jones the safety out of Texas were excellent mid round picks and have both made promising starts.

I see Miami as. .500 team at best this season.  I think they’re league average, but playing better than average competition most weeks (given AFC East schedule this season.

Was really impressed with Robinson at RB last night.  He played A style like what I thought Moss was going to be for us. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was mixed on their draft. I liked the Tua pick (think I remember you are less of a fan) but then after that I disliked their next 3.... thought Jackson, Igbinoghene and especially Hunt were all overdrafted. But then to counter that Solomon Kindley the guard out of Georgia and Brandon Jones the safety out of Texas were excellent mid round picks and have both made promising starts.

Yeah, I was talking about their first four picks.    I thought all four were overdrafted. (I did like that tackle out of USC showing a little nastiness last night, though.)  With 13 picks though, they were bound to get some good players.  And I think they have some extra premium picks this year, too.  If Tua can play, they will be a good team for a long time.

6 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

I have not gone through all 20 pages, but was Fitz credited with 1 reception on his batted pass? Do they score it that way?

It was 3rd and 3 and a pass rushing D lineman got his hands on it knocking the ball about 12 feet into the air.

Fitz watched it and caught it then tried to rush with it just getting back to the line of scrimmage on the play.

Punt team ;)

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Yeah, I was talking about their first four picks.    I thought all four were overdrafted. (I did like that tackle out of USC showing a little nastiness last night, though.)  With 13 picks though, they were bound to get some good players.  And I think they have some extra premium picks this year, too.  If Tua can play, they will be a good team for a long time.

Jackson has potential and if they had taken him in the 2nd round I would not have a problem with it..... @Blokestradamus may differ there though.... the problem is he was way too raw to be worth a first round pick IMO. At times his technique is a darn right mess. I think Blokes may have said to me that if AJ Epenesa ends up a 1st round pick (as we know he didn't) then he owes half his salary to Austin Jackson. :D

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Miami isn't a bad team, but they also aren't a good one. They are a team that should be able to beat a few teams (Jacksonville and the Jets) but should also get beat by better teams (the top tier/contenders should be able to take care of them easily)

If any team takes them lightly they could wind up with an L.

They won't quit and after 2 good games in a row and 3 games where they have improved week to week they have confidence.

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if he got hurt? I hate it when you start a player for fantasy who was a beast one week and vanishes the next.

He had the game of his life against the Bills.

I think he was a bit battered (get it?) after a short week and all the hits he took against the Bills.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Jackson has potential and if they had taken him in the 2nd round I would not have a problem with it..... @Blokestradamus may differ there though.... the problem is he was way too raw to be worth a first round pick IMO. At times his technique is a darn right mess. I think Blokes may have said to me that if AJ Epenesa ends up a 1st round pick (as we know he didn't) then he owes half his salary to Austin Jackson. :D

I had Jackson firmly as a Day 3 guy because of what I think is an uphill struggle to succeed. That being said, I have a massive amount of respect for the guy because of the actions he took that have ultimately hampered his development. For those that don't know the story, read this.

I'm intrigued to see how he progresses. I think we'll probably start to see the best of him around Year 3 after a couple of seasons in a full NFL training regimen. I'm not overly optimistic about his chances (as noted above) but I'm rooting for the guy.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I had Jackson firmly as a Day 3 guy because of what I think is an uphill struggle to succeed. That being said, I have a massive amount of respect for the guy because of the actions he took that have ultimately hampered his development. For those that don't know the story, read this.

I'm intrigued to see how he progresses. I think we'll probably start to see the best of him around Year 3 after a couple of seasons in a full NFL training regimen. I'm not overly optimistic about his chances (as noted above) but I'm rooting for the guy.

You really like to pull for a guy like that.

He really came through for his sister with no thought of himself. :)

8 minutes ago, XXI~PsychedelicBillsfan~ said:

I'm glad for old fitz, man. the man has had a hell of a career and I will always be grateful for his passing through buffalo and being part of the 2011 match up against ne*** at home.

hell of a game, man.

Have you ever seen the replays of some of those passes in the comeback game?

Inches from tipped or Ints 

God was guiding the ball that day.

I was crossing the Peace Bridge on my way home when the Bills took the lead

I left early thinking we were going to suffer another severe shellacking  from the Pats

• Like (+1) 2