McD vs. McVay: Revisiting the 2016 matchup

IgotBILLStopay

It is not a stretch that these two are the top young coaches in the league. Both got their first head coaching gigs in 2017 and have been remarkably successful in their short time at the Bills and Rams, respectively. One is regarded as a defensive genius and the other an offensive one.

Here is the last time they faced each other: MNF - December 2016 - and there are parallels to Sunday's game. Carolina had a strong armed QB, a certain Cam Newton. Carolina was missing MLB Luke Keuchly (was inactive). Redskins with McVay as the OC was an offensive juggernaut - Cousins throwing for nearly 5000 yards that season with Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon going for over 1000 yards and our other familiar friend Jamison Crowder getting 800+ yards. And the Redskins controlled their own playoff destiny. 

And yet, McD's defense held them to a measly 15 points as Carolina got the win. Jonathan Stewart rushed for 132 yards - but analyzing Carolina's offense vs. Washington's defense does not make sense since we are only looking at McD vs. McVay. Carolina had just one sack, but did have two FRs and an INT. Most importantly, McD held McVay to 29 yards rushing. I think McD needs to do a similar job on Henderson and Brown for us to win.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400874716

Bills did beat the Rams in 2016 30-19 but neither McD nor McVay were coaching the teams. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Interesting perspective.

Hard to quantify the difference personnel makes, not to mention the influence of HC’s. Remember, they were both working under HC’s that specialized in their respective roles, so there’s sure to be some skewing versus how they are now running the show.

But it could still be a baseline. This week is all about lane integrity for us.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

Good insight.  Considering the differences in players, staff, and experience, I’m not sure how much you can take away from this.  I do know that just like in 2016, McDermott has held own against powerful, explosive offenses as we saw the last season versus Baltimore and later in the playoffs versus Houston.  

I think LAR will be a great test for this football team on both sides of the ball.  

McVay is a great coach, but he sometimes thinks himself into circles. McDermott still has a lot to prove. Should be a good battle.

I FULLY expect Daboll to dial up a couple trick plays this Sunday.

11 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400874716

Bills did beat the Rams in 2016 30-19 but neither McD nor McVay were coaching the teams. 

AJ Klein had 1.5 tackles for losses.  Addison had two tackles and Butler had one.  Not that Beane and McDermott value ex Panthers.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Always amazes me how fans don’t like the fact McD claps for his team on sideline.  The results show,it works

technically, we dont know if it works. We do not have counterfactuals:)

kinda similar to Jim Tressel's sweater vests - his results were great - but cant say they were due to the sweater vests