The Athletic Article: Daboll and Allen

inthebuff

https://theathletic.com/2086946/2020/09/23/teds-film-room-these-three-quarterback-play-caller-duos-need-more-respect/?source=dailyemail

Buffalo: Josh Allen and Brian Daboll

There are a few reasons why Josh Allen’s development doesn’t get talked about a lot. First, there were a lot of draft pundits who weren’t very high on Allen. He had amazing physical tools but his accuracy and processing ability were lacking coming out of the University of Wyoming. Although Allen has steadily improved his accuracy, he still misses some easy passes. When he does miss, he misses by a lot, and it can be jarring to see at times and affects people’s perception of him. Lastly, the Bills offense just wasn’t very good last year — they only averaged 19.6 points per game, ranking 23rd in the league. To Allen’s credit, Buffalo didn’t have a lot of weapons, and he definitely showed signs of improvement, but the accuracy problem was evident.

“Per Trumedia, 23 percent of Allen’s passes were off target, which was the worst rate in the league among those 26 passers,” ESPN’s Bill Barnwell included in his analysis of Allen’s 2019 season.

So far this season, Allen looks much more accurate, especially passing deep. This was apparent in the fourth quarter against Miami when he made jaw-dropping pass after jaw-dropping pass to bring the Bills back and win the game. In the fourth quarter, Allen was 6 for 8 (75 percent) for 145 yards and two touchdowns and averaged 18.1 yards per attempt.

His first touchdown in the fourth quarter came as a result of playmaking ability and anticipation. Anticipation was an area in which Allen could struggle at times in his first two seasons, but it looks like he’s doing a much better job of throwing to open areas before his receivers uncover.

6:03 mark of the fourth quarter, third-and-6

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-43-30_PM.png

The Dolphins play a ton of man coverage, so Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll responded with a steady diet of rub concepts throughout the game. In the play above, Allen had a rub concept to his right with John Brown running a dig on the backside to his left.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-43-41_PM.png

Allen looked to the rub concept first but didn’t like what he saw. He might have seen that the No. 1 (farthest outside) receiver, Gabriel Davis, who was supposed to set the pick, had a hard time getting off press coverage and getting to his landmark. He was right because the rub was unsuccessful, and both receivers ended up being covered.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-43-56_PM.png

Next, Allen looked to Brown on the backside, but Brown had two defenders on his side and was covered.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-44-13_PM.png

After looking to Brown, edge pressure got to Allen, so he quickly stepped up and moved the ball to his left hand to avoid getting stripped while keeping his eyes downfield.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-44-21_PM.png

After he got away from the pressure, he reset his base and anticipated that Davis would uncover on the scramble drill. He began his throwing motion right as Davis was breaking back toward the sideline.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-44-30_PM.png

If Allen didn’t throw the ball with anticipation, defensive back Eric Rowe might have been able to get in the passing window. However, Allen threw a perfect pass outside of Rowe’s reach, and Davis made an incredible diving catch for the touchdown, giving the Bills a four-point lead after the extra point.

Allen’s ability to see the entire field and read coverages looked improved as well. On the play before his game-sealing touchdown pass, he nearly threw a costly interception. He wanted to hit Brown on a crossing route, but there seemed to be a miscommunication. Brown flattened his route out, but Allen threw the ball upfield and hit cornerback Xavien Howard right in the hands. Luckily for the Bills, Howard dropped it.

On the next play, Daboll went right back to attacking the deep middle of the field with Brown.

3:17 mark of the fourth quarter, third-and-9

Voila_Capture-2020-09-23_01-54-06_AM.png

This time, Brown ran a divide route.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-45-06_PM.png

Instead of coming out in a one deep safety look, the defense had two safeties deep, but it was only a disguise. After the snap, the play side safety rotated down and became the “rat” to help on short to intermediate in-breaking routes, while the backside safety, Bobby McCain, doubled Stefon Diggs on the other side.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-23_01-01-01_PM.png

Initially, Allen looked to Diggs but saw that was being doubled. McCain looked like he was anticipating that Diggs was going to run an intermediate route because he slowed down his backpedal and got flat-footed.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-45-34_PM.png

From the end zone angle you could see Allen looked to his second progression, which was Brown on the divide route.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-45-42_PM.png

Strangely, Allen looked back to his left. He might have been double-checking that McCain didn’t drop deep enough to make a play on Brown.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-45-50_PM.png

After seeing that McCain was still too shallow to make a play, Allen looked back to Brown and uncorked a beautiful pass that traveled nearly 55 yards in the air to Brown for the touchdown.

Voila_Capture-2020-09-22_09-45-24_PM.png

Credit to the Bills offensive line. They gave Allen enough time to look left, right, back left and then back right. I don’t know if double-checking where McCain was, was necessary. If Allen saw that McCain didn’t get enough depth initially, he should trust Brown’s speed and his arm to put the ball in the right spot. This is something that Allen will surely look at on film and take note of.

Daboll has really leaned into Allen’s mobility and designed an interesting spread-option attack with a lot of two-back looks with tight end Dawson Knox essentially playing fullback. His game plan against Miami’s man-heavy team was a masterclass in how to beat man coverage with a bevy of rub concepts. I do believe the Miami defense is an improved unit. Allen just made some really tough throws against them. Occasionally, Allen is going to miss some easy throws, but if he continues to throw deep accurately and make plays with his legs, the good will far outweigh the bad.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

"When he does miss, he misses by a lot, and it can be jarring to see at times and affects people’s perception of him When he does miss, he misses by a lot, and it can be jarring to see at times and affects people’s perception of him"

BS.  I have seen Peyton Manning throw ducks in the dirt.  Same with about any other QB in the NFL.

Edited by mabden
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mabden said:

"When he does miss, he misses by a lot, and it can be jarring to see at times and affects people’s perception of him When he does miss, he misses by a lot, and it can be jarring to see at times and affects people’s perception of him"

BS.  I have seen Patton Manning throw ducks in the dirt.  Same with about any other QB in the NFL.

Gotta get the papers, get the papers.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, mabden said:

BS.  I have seen Peyton Manning throw ducks in the dirt.  Same with about any other QB in the NFL.

There is some truth in this. Of course every QB misses but Josh occasionally has to egregious miss and it goes viral. It was the Michael Lombardi point on Allen v Darnold last week.... the perception because Josh occasionally has the major miscue is that Darnold is more accurate. But when Josh is on song and in rhythm he is pin point in way you rarely see from Sam Darnold.

I just think don't let it bother you. Josh will have the occasional wild throw over the head of John Brown in the enzone week 1. It will likely always be there. But it is an insignificant element when you consider the 12-15 pin point balls he is firing into tight windows in a way only a handful of NFL QBs can. He has had as many big boy NFL throws as any Quarterback in the league through 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 7

The more I read about the Dolphins, the more worried I get.   It seems like the Dolphins pass defense schemes were very predictable, executed poorly, and played to Allen's strengths.  Add to that, the Dolphins pass rush was anemic.  That's what added up to Allen's great day. 

We'll see what happens when they play tougher opponents, starting this week. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is some truth in this. Of course every QB misses but Josh occasionally has to egregious miss and it goes viral. It was the Michael Lombardi point on Allen v Darnold last week.... the perception because Josh occasionally has the major miscue is that Darnold is more accurate. But when Josh is on song and in rhythm he is pin point in way you rarely see from Sam Darnold.

I just think don't let it bother you. Josh will have the occasional wild throw over the head of John Brown in the enzone week 1. It will likely always be there. But it is an insignificant element when you consider the 12-15 pin point balls he is firing into tight windows in a way only a handful of NFL QBs can. He has had as many big boy NFL throws as any Quarterback in the league through 2 weeks.

Isn't part of it that Allen has made a bunch of wildly inaccurate throws when he runs to his left? He badly overthrew an open receiver early in the Miami game when he ran to his left, and he missed open receivers in the EZ twice when he ran to his left in the Jets game (Knox and then Brown). 

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Isn't part of it that Allen has made a bunch of wildly inaccurate throws when he runs to his left? He badly overthrew an open receiver early in the Miami game when he ran to his left, and he missed open receivers in the EZ twice when he ran to his left in the Jets game (Knox and then Brown). 

That throw running to the left was classic josh getting too amped up. He escaped pressure, had more time than he realized and over rushed his throw. Adrenaline flying and the ball went a mile over receivers head. While inaccurate, it wasn't like a mechanics issue, just too hyped from escaping a certain sack.  Im not worried about those types of misses and will probably be something as he gets older and can reset his head

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The more I read about the Dolphins, the more worried I get.   It seems like the Dolphins pass defense schemes were very predictable, executed poorly, and played to Allen's strengths.  Add to that, the Dolphins pass rush was anemic.  That's what added up to Allen's great day. 

It's not just Allen.  These upcoming games are going to be a serious test of the O-Line. IMO, the amount of time Allen has been given to throw is the #1 reason for his success... It may be that the addition of Diggs and the schemes Daboll has been able to implement make it really difficult for the defense to throw the kitchen sink at Allen like the Pats and Ravens last year...

At the same time, the Texans were able to obliterate the O-Line in the playoff game using stunts and just sending 3 or 4 rushers. 

I'm really looking forward to see how well the line stands up against tougher competition, and how well Daboll is able to scheme the Bills into situations that A. make the opposing defense freighted to blitz, and B. burn the blitz when it comes. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Remember, the question on Josh was whether he could do these things AT ALL. If he could EVER be accurate. And he is showing that he absolutely can be.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Every time he does it he doesn't set his feet when rolling left.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup.  When he is moving to his left he doesn't square his shoulders, resulting in these misfires.  You'd have to think it's something they are aware of and another coaching emphasis point.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree, but I cant take away that exceptional performance from him.  He made all the throws exactly how we should expect him to.  Let's see what we can do against the Rams.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

may be we should credit our OL for pass protection,

• Like (+1) 7

Nice article. It highlights why Allen's arm strength is such a plus. It can make up that extra fraction of a second of indecision - like on the Brown touchdown pass. He checked left, checked right than left again before throwing. Once he gets more confident he will  realize he is not "crossing the road" here and can trust his first read and throw to the left after checking right. In the meanwhile, that pass can still get to the receiver on time despite the extra fraction of a second.

After replaying each of JA's throws, I agree that the Gabe Davis TD was the throw of the day. Unlike the Brown TD above - there was no indecision at all. Scrambling to buy time, full anticipation (something Allen was not known for when he came out), and threw it where only his receiver could get it - cant ask more from any QB - and Gabe Davis made the catch of the day. The more one looks at the angle, Allen could not really throw closer to Davis since he had to beat the DB - so he threw it into the tightest window possible - and again the arm strength helped him beat the DB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Fair.

I will only say that the things pointed out in the article -- going through progressions, looking off safeties, delivering the ball with anticipation and improved accuracy-- theoretically aren't things that will go away when the quality of competition goes up. He will produce less gaudy stat lines and may have less success overall, but the nuances of the game in which Allen is starting to show proficiency are cause for optimism that continued success overall is likely.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this. I will add, that Josh can also be either hot or cold. He has a tendency to hit a few wow plays, then miss a bunch of throws that he either didn't deliver a good ball, or didn't see initially. The issue/complaints with Josh has always been consistency, not whether he could or could not make throws, reads etc. 

He has been very consistent so far this year. He has taken a large leap than I thought he would in year 3. It has been great to see!

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1