I was WRONG about Josh Allen

Zerovoltz

5 hours ago, Success said:

I've never understood the consternation that goes on here on draft day.

I feel like everyone looks at the mocks and the "public facing" scouting reports (usually a paragraph) before the draft, and then determines who they think we "should" get based on that.  Maybe they'll check some youtube.

Sorry - but unless you live & breathe this stuff, and watch hundreds of hours of film of everyone at a given position, you just have to put faith in the braintrust.  And this particular braintrust has 100% earned that faith at this point.   

Usually, when the Bills draft a guy, I'll get to know him by looking up everything I can about him - but I never chime in w/ the "they should have gotten so & so...what are they thinking?"  They know more than we do. They get the benefit of the doubt.

What kind of fans would we be without deep-seated, obstinate, mulish opinions?

17 hours ago, Success said:

I feel like everyone looks at the mocks and the "public facing" scouting reports (usually a paragraph) before the draft, and then determines who they think we "should" get based on that.  Maybe they'll check some youtube.

Sorry - but unless you live & breathe this stuff, and watch hundreds of hours of film of everyone at a given position, you just have to put faith in the braintrust.  And this particular braintrust has 100% earned that faith at this point.   

Usually, when the Bills draft a guy, I'll get to know him by looking up everything I can about him - but I never chime in w/ the "they should have gotten so & so...what are they thinking?"  They know more than we do. They get the benefit of the doubt.

I mean I don't watch everyone at every position... but I definitely watched over 100 hours of film. This past year for example I had 145 players graded. In order to get graded and go on the board I have to have seen three full games. Minimum it takes you to watch the cut ups of every snap a player has taken in a game is circa 20 minutes. So if you averaged it out at about an hour per player (and some players - especially the guys who are getting first round buzz I will watch more than 3 games of) then you would be into at least 145 hours.

Still doesn't mean you always get it right. And I get that the brain trust at OBD has access to a lot more information than I do.... but I completely reject the assumption that unless you work for the team you have no right having an opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Success said:

9 GMs passed on Patrick Mahomes.  10 if you count whatever McDermott was in that draft.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

9 GMs passed on Patrick Mahomes.  10 if you count whatever McDermott was in that draft.

I remember everyone saying air raid QB's 'don't usually fare very well in the NFL.

I think being a legit 2 sport prospect and having an MLB dad helped him a lot 

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I remember everyone saying air raid QB's 'don't usually fare very well in the NFL.

I think being a legit 2 sport prospect and having an MLB dad helped him a lot 

Could be - my point is that the draft is a crapshoot, professional scouts and GMs who “live and breathe this stuff” get it wrong all the time.  Plus the most annoying guy on the message board is the one who shows up and says “None of you are coaches and scouts so be quiet.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Could be - my point is that the draft is a crapshoot, professional scouts and GMs who “live and breathe this stuff” get it wrong all the time.  Plus the most annoying guy on the message board is the one who shows up and says “None of you are coaches and scouts so be quiet.”

Why should there be room for reasonable discussion on a Bills football message board?  ;)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Crow, meet Manish...lol

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-josh-allen-20200925-wohah2rawratre2pmlepgbj3fm-story.html

""Allen, frankly, is a killer. He exudes confidence. He plays with a fearlessness that makes teammates want to rally around him. He’s tougher than quantum physics.""

Edited by x-BillzeBubba
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I had Baker as my #1, Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Allen, and Rosen last.

I really didn't want Allen because he made some pretty terrible decisions at Wyoming but happily I was wrong.  I changed my opinion quickly after the draft with his wonderlic score and discussion to the lengths of our due diligence.

Jackson was a huge dark horse prospect because, like Allen, he was very underdeveloped.  But at Louisville you could see his strong decision making on the field.

I wonder if Jackson's critics ever consider that like Allen, he is still developing to the NFL? 

Regardless, it shows how important the mental side of the QB is.  Both in motivation and decision-making.

I wanted this team to draft Josh Rosen so I have zero expertise in football but once I started to dig deeper on Josh Allen I liked the pick more once it was made and I dug into it. I kind of thought of Josh's accuracy issues in college being somewhat deflated because the system he played in was deep throwing and he lacked decent receivers. Of course I knew Josh had his issues part of his accuracy issues were decision making and footwork. I figured decision making and feeling comfortable in the pocket would come with experience but footwork isn't always something that gets fixed. 

But in 2019 Josh started to make better decision as the season wore on and he showed progress in his footwork. By 2020 three seasons of hard work and two years of starting really are paying dividends. Adding a true WR1 helped a lot of course. But while I still would like to see what Josh can do against better defenses I think he is more than likely the real deal. Let's not get crazy there might still be a few bumps in the road ahead.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:14 PM, Zerovoltz said:

I joined this board, after the trade that allowed KC to select Patrick Mahomes and have stuck around the last few years to see how things played out.  I hung out here, speculating about all the 2018 QB's, the draft manuvering, and watched you guys all debate and discuss who you wanted the Bills to take. .....when the Bills took Allen.....I came here and put in my 2 cents.  I did NOT think Allen would make it as an NFL QB.  I was on the side of the debate that said, his completion pct is who he is, and who he's going to be.  I didn't think he could improve enough to be much more than an enticiing novelty.  I posted that opinion here numerous times.

I am here today to tell you.....to admit....the I was WRONG.  While I've always enjoyed watching Allen play, I'd always thought he'd ultimately be a flash in the pan in the big picture as time wore on.  He's not.  He's legit.  He's taken a big leap each season he's been in the NFL.  It's a credit to him, and especially to your coaching staff for identifying the talent, and the potential, and then actually getting Allen to progress.  I want to thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your community and give my opinion.  I have enjoyed it, and will continue to pop in from time to time.  I'm sure I'll be around when KC plays the Bills...that should be fun.  Anyhow....one more time....

I WAS WRONG ABOUT JOSH ALLEN.  I'll be having that crow now. 

So you're saying the Bills should NOT trade for Rosen?

On 9/24/2020 at 6:47 AM, Mickey said:

Does this mean that the Church of the Holy Completion Percentage, overwhelmed with apostates at last, is closing its doors for good? Or will we be assaulted with preachy sermons on high level analytics on Allen's DVOACRAP  percentage from every street corner the second he has anything less than a perfect game?

First, I'll say I was a little nervous about the pick, but fell in love with him as a QB during the Dallas game.  The keeper play (in my avatar) sold me on his heart and drive.  As for your question, we all know this board well enough to know that it's gush over Josh time now, but that your second sentence describes what's going to happen as soon as he has the inevitable come back to earth game.  I'm just hoping those keep getting further and further apart 😉

I also will admit that I was not on board at first.   I remember watching him on TV in college in that infamous Wyoming vs Iowa st game in college.   I honestly knew almost nothing about him and he turned it over multiple times, they talked about him being a first round prospect.  I remember laughing and saying to my friends watching with me, "great, watch the Bills pick this guy".

I was resigned to another bust when he was picked but I gave him a chance.  Even then, I truly thought that at best it would be a project that took years.  He has exceeded my expectations from the beginning when playing and I am proud to say that I was 100 percent wrong

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1