I was WRONG about Josh Allen

Zerovoltz

I hated the pick. I wanted Rosen. I was devastated when they said "Allen" instead of "Rosen". Especially how well Beane had worked the plan to get to #7 to get a QB without mortgaging the future. It was masterful. And then the picked... ALLEN???!?!?!? I couldn't believe it. I said to myself, "typical Bills."  But I'll say, I realized I was wrong pretty quick. I was in Allen's corner not long after he took over the starting job. The performance he had as a rookie in Minnesota against a FAR superior Vikings team sealed it for me. It showed that while raw, the talent was there. It all came down to how they could develop that raw talent into pro-level talent. And watching his progression has been absolutely incredible. 

I went from hating the pick, to owning a Josh Allen jersey before the start of his 2nd year.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Kind of disagree.  The numbers may have been misleading in projecting failure - but that doesn’t mean it was reasonable to predict success.  The fact that he was in a bad offense with no playmakers might explain why his numbers were bad, but it still leaves you with very little to project that he’d be great (or even mediocre) with a better supporting cast.

My issue with the pick at the time was the fact that the Bills as an organization did not have a history of developing outliers, and certainly did not seem set up to do so Josh’s rookie year (no real QB coach, no vet QB to learn behind, no receivers or offensive line).  Given the state of the roster and coaching staff, and the team’s horrible player development record going back two decades at that point, I didn’t want them taking “projects” or “risks” - I wanted them to pick someone who could run the offense quickly and cerebrally to make up for the lack of weapons.  I was worried they’d ruin a project like Josh and we’d be back to drafting another QB a few years later.

They - more specifically Josh - proved me wrong.  It’s simply amazing to think about the situation he was put in his first season (Peterman, no weapons, etc.) and the fact he persevered and developed is a true testament to his unique football character.  It’s a great story and I love watching the guy play every week, I wouldn’t trade him for any other QB.

DING DING. There are a few guys that have bad numbers but can improve and become great with a change in circumstance. But there are a lot more guys that have bad numbers because...they are bad. Its not easy to sort out which side a guy will land on.

I was wrong as well. I wanted Darnold and at the time I hated that the Jets made that trade with the Colts to move up to #3 when they gave up 3 second round picks. I think the Colts are winning that trade now. Happy that Allen is the Bills QB. He has really improved here in year 3. It's only two games but it looks like the Bills finally have a franchise QB since the days of Kelly.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Allen was number 1 on my board and I knew he would be a superstar long before anybody.

jk I hated the pick and loving the crow

Once the pick was in I was on board 

He was my second choice after Baker but once drafted he is our guy and i billieved Beane knew what he was doing.

I thought Rosen was entitled,Darnold  a USC JAG and Lamar Tyrod V2(I was right on 2 of the 3)

1 minute ago, teef said:

jesus...get it together.  

He is one of those "we don't deserve anything nice guys " the Bills always fail....that was the previous 17 years its a new regime now.

We can and do have nice things :)

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I WAS WRONG ABOUT JOSH ALLEN.  I'll be having that crow now. 

Kudos to you for owning your error in judgement. There are many here that can't and still don't, and continue to look JA with skepticism. All players have good days and bad ones, but I think, as you said.... he is legit.

I personally reserved judgement after he was drafted and just hoped for the best. He had his flaws for sure, but his potential upside was huge to say the least. I love the game of football, but I have no business trying to evaluate a college players potential so I leave it to the pros and just sit on my couch glued to my TV eating my popcorn like i'm watching a death match to see how it all plays out.  

• Haha (+1) 1

After the draft, and his first season, I had been optimistic that Josh could be really good "someday"...that they could coach out his worst habits, add a surrounding cast in the receiver corps; o-line etc, and maybe he could rise to his potential, which was clearly there.  But lots of young QB's have potential that never consistently develops, so you never know.

Then the T'giving game vs. Dallas happened.  I have never doubted his draft selection since that game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I will soon..can't run from this schedule like last year. He'll either prove to be our guy or prove not to be.

On the plus side there are no "real" road games (no crowd noise) but unfortunately no "real" home games either. That sucks for teams like the Bills, Chiefs, Seahawks, Steelers who have strong homefield advantages.

I was, I think in the rare column, in that I thought Lamar would be the best QB of that bunch, and could be really special....and thought Allen was trash.

Now I know that I was dead right about Lamar but dead wrong about Allen, and I too am VERY HAPPY TO EAT MY CROW 

• Like (+1) 1

Oh man, if everyone who was wrong about Allen starts a thread about it, the first 5 pages on TBD will be filled with mea culpas.

The thing I am curious about is how many of the so called experts in the media who slammed Josh out of college, and took every opportunity to point out every one of his mistakes and say "I told you so", will ever actually admit they are wrong.  I think they will keep using disclaimers to begrudgingly compliment him, all the while waiting for the next bad game to say "I was right after all".

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Then maybe you should be thanking “people like me”.  Lol

But in all seriousness, your point about Allen taking a 2 win team to bowl games falls on deaf ears when you realize it didn’t happen because of superior QB play, but rather because he just happened to be the best “athlete” on the field in a very minimally talented conference- kinda like me in Little League...lol

And that’s ok...Anyone you talk to (except for yourself) of course, will tell you that Josh is an outlier, if he ends up working out long term...His pre NFL numbers did not project success as a pro- and that’s just the truth of the matter...it does not make people bad people or “full of BS”, as you like to put it, just because you can’t, emotionally, handle differing opinions based on statistical trends...but, best of luck to you...👍

You are full of BS because you said he didn't prove anything at any level.  I told you he proved himself enough to be the 7th overall draft pick AT THE QB POSITION.  Now look at you, after two years of trashing the kid and stating he never proved anything at any level, all of a sudden now you want to be a believer; how convenient!  People like you have doubted him all his life and he just keeps on persevering.  

Picture2.jpg

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You are full of BS because you said he didn't prove anything at any level.  I told you he proved himself enough to be the 7th overall draft pick AT THE QB POSITION.  Now look at you, after two years of trashing the kid and stating he never proved anything at any level, all of a sudden now you want to be a believer; how convenient!  People like you have doubted him all his life and he just keeps on persevering.  

Picture2.jpg

Respect is earned, not blindly given...Allen was a bottom 3rd of the league passer last year...Now, if you want to respect that, that is your prerogative...I tend to have a higher standard...and I don’t give out participation trophies...

BTW, love the arts and crafts project...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

seems there were many doubters and some still may remain but the fact of the matter is, he has and continues to get better. seen some improvement last season yet still there were questions about his deep ball.

this play here, should of made billevers out of some of those doubters. drop in the bucket.

I believe the kid really is going to be something special, man.

Edited by XXI~PsychedelicBillsfan~
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Respect is earned, not blindly given...Allen was a bottom 3rd of the league passer last year...Now, if you want to respect that, that is your prerogative...I tend to have a higher standard...and I don’t give out participation trophies...👍

So first you stated he has proved nothing at any level, and how you stated up until these past two games; you had no respect for the kid, his play, or progression.  Like I said, he's had doubters like you all his life.  Last thing I think Allen needs is your so-called respect!

2 minutes ago, XXI~PsychedelicBillsfan~ said:

seems there were many doubters and some still may remain but the fact of the matter is, he has and continues to get better. seen some improvement last season yet still there were questions about his deep ball.

this play here, should of made some billevers out of some. drop in the bucket.

I believe the kid really is going to be something special, man.

I was texting my son during the game.  As this play happened all I could text was "omg, omg, omg".  That play has been missing in Bills offense for two decades.  The pure joy I felt from that play was indescribable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This was me too. I was wrong. Josh was the guy (outside of Lamar). 

i was totally wrong about that QB class.  The last two I wanted, in order, were Lamar and then Allen.  

That said, I REALLY wanted Wilson in 2012, so there's that 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

So first you stated he has proved nothing at any level, and how you stated up until these past two games; you had no respect for the kid, his play, or progression.  Like I said, he's had doubters like you all his life.  Last thing I think Allen needs is your so-called respect!

Cool story, bro...but nobody cares...

We’re all Bills fans and want what’s best for the team...so, you can go on your phony virtue signaling tour, as you try to rehash the way that most of the fan base felt in years passed...but nobody cares...

Why? Because right now, Josh Allen is playing lights out, and in this moment, all of Bills nation is “over the moon” as we ride this wave...and there ain’t nothing that you or anyone else can do to bring us down! 👍

Edited by JaCrispy