I was WRONG about Josh Allen

Zerovoltz

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I keep waiting for the collapse over the last 14 games or so and it hasn't come. Deep down I still feel the collapse is coming. 

So ya. This is really lame. 

as for the OP... @Zerovoltz has been really wrong about the bills in general over the last 2 seasons, so what’s new? 

I think the bigger occasion here would be for him to announce anything about this team that’s he’s been accurate on. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Present company excepted of course, but pretty soon the number of folks who say they’ve been on team JA from day 1 will be exceeded only by the number of folks who attended the Comeback game in person at Rich Stadium! :w00t:

OP, thanks for the thread as well as the mostly respectful dialogue along the way since you’ve been posting here—I know a certain Jets fan who could take some pointers from you! We look forward to many years of a great Mahomes/Allen AFC rivalry.

I was over the moon when the Bills selected Allen for a number of reasons, including that he just seemed to exude that “it” factor for a Buffalo QB in the mold of Kelly, driven by off the charts natural abilities and a welcoming of the unique temperament it takes to command the huddle in our favorite town—and this became more than obvious during his first official road start in Minnesota exactly 2 years ago (serendipitously for me, the same day my youngest was born). From the leap on, you knew this kid had the heart of Rudy but with the ability to back it up with something really special. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Taking away what’s been working, you mean like the short, medium, long, left, right, middle, pocket, and rollout game?

I was wrong about Josh, too, although it was more because I didn’t see him that much. I was a Rosen guy, thought Baker was boom or bust, thought Darnold was good but turnover machine, and like Lamar a lot but wary of being wrong. 

According to JT there were reads he should have made, but didn't. They also ran the exact same concept over and over and the dolphins couldn't stop it, but different teams will be able to I would think. I still have 10 minutes left in that vid, but largely he's very positive, just sees misreads still.

Not dumping cold water, just this might be a factor of really good wide receivers being able to exploit man coverage because of Diggs opening up the offense for everyone. The exciting thing for me is JA struggled against man coverage (less concerned with last year's deep ball accuracy because of so many super windy games the second half when things started to click.

I've been as big a JA fan/supporter of him having a chance to be a super star from the start, I really think he's going to get there, just think we need to give him a chance to work through some inevitable adversity that is almost assuredly going to come this year and giving him that room to get through it.

I supported him from the day he was drafted and didn't say he sucked, was terrible, would never be good, was the worst - esp before he ever took an NFL snap

• Like (+1) 1

I appreciate the post...I remember when Allen was the pick I wasn’t sure what to think...I wasn’t thrilled that he was more of a high-ceiling project QB...I was hoping for someone who wouldn’t take several years to develop, but knew he had a chance. So I was more wait and see...one thing I love about Josh is that he’s just so damn fun to watch, even when he’s frustrating...you never know what he’s going to end up doing on any particular play, it could be head scratching or it could be spectacular, but always exciting...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, AirAllenPower said:

I was a baker/ Rosen guy

My whole issue with Allen was in the Iowa game I got really put off by him. I thought he was scatter shot, erratic and just not a natural smooth qb... 

His progress from the beginning of his rookie year, to the end. The jump he took in year 2, and now a massive leap in year 3 is really amazing... 

His leap this year reminds me of the leap jo e burrow took in his jr to Sr year at LSU 

I was just dying for Darnold.

To the point where any of the other QBs looked like poo. I was really hoping Allen would go 1st and throw the whole thing out of whack and we'd snag Darnold. I kept feeling like somebody would take Rapistburger and we'd be frickin stuck with JP again.

Then the days before the draft happened. Someone dug up some rap lyrics or something on Allen's social media to try and assassinate his character. Then all of the sudden I desperately NEEDED Allen. I realized if he was the one that some team was trying to get to fall, he's THE guy. I remembered the insane throw at the combine (right out of the camera picture and back down) and I was like "this is the guy for buffalo". 

Of course I had no idea he would be this budding superstar. Turns out I was right on accident.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Because he had never proven anything at any level, I always needed Allen to show me he could do it before I became a believer...

The 300/400 yard games back to back were huge!

Next up is beating NE for the division and winning a playoff game and I will be sold!

But I’m definitely feeling pretty good about our QB right now!

You're so full of BS.  He took a 2-win Wyoming team to two straight bowl games, barely lost the first to BYU and killed Central Michigan in the 2nd.  He proved himself enough to be the 7th overall pick in the NFL draft.  Yeah, yeah, it's Wyoming, it's the MWC, take that crap somewhere else.  The only thing he didn't prove is you!  It's people like you that drive him!

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce wings are far better than Buffalo chicken wings. It’s not even a contest.

How did I know you would say something like that?  

not even a contest. 

😆😭🤣

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So ya. This is really lame. 

as for the OP... @Zerovoltz has been really wrong about the bills in general over the last 2 seasons, so what’s new? 

I think the bigger occasion here would be for him to announce anything about this team that’s he’s been accurate on. 

I haven't had much else to comment on, besides Allen since I've been here...other than predicting preseason records for the entire NFL (a fools errand).....but I did want to post about this because I am not a chicken***t that talks and talks and then just runs away when it doesn't work out. 

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Or you could just dip your wings at the foot of Sheridan Drive 🤢

My hot vietnamese wife makes killer fish sauce wings!

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I joined this board, after the trade that allowed KC to select Patrick Mahomes and have stuck around the last few years to see how things played out.  I hung out here, speculating about all the 2018 QB's, the draft manuvering, and watched you guys all debate and discuss who you wanted the Bills to take. .....when the Bills took Allen.....I came here and put in my 2 cents.  I did NOT think Allen would make it as an NFL QB.  I was on the side of the debate that said, his completion pct is who he is, and who he's going to be.  I didn't think he could improve enough to be much more than an enticiing novelty.  I posted that opinion here numerous times.

I am here today to tell you.....to admit....the I was WRONG.  While I've always enjoyed watching Allen play, I'd always thought he'd ultimately be a flash in the pan in the big picture as time wore on.  He's not.  He's legit.  He's taken a big leap each season he's been in the NFL.  It's a credit to him, and especially to your coaching staff for identifying the talent, and the potential, and then actually getting Allen to progress.  I want to thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your community and give my opinion.  I have enjoyed it, and will continue to pop in from time to time.  I'm sure I'll be around when KC plays the Bills...that should be fun.  Anyhow....one more time....

I WAS WRONG ABOUT JOSH ALLEN.  I'll be having that crow now. 

*See below

5 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Allen grew on me. My crow needed ketchup.

*See below

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Most of the board members here know that my “Extremely Large Board” had the 2018 QB’s ranked: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Mason Rudolph and Josh Rosen. These guys know what I projected  @Mike in Horseheads , @Beerball and @Gugny

I, for one, appreciate your predraft insights. I usually have a late Winter cold and always need something to sneeze into🤧

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I keep waiting for the collapse over the last 14 games or so and it hasn't come. Deep down I still feel the collapse is coming. 

well, yeah, but you’re located in elementary school. so...

*Below

Dinner is served.

1199A481-66FB-4159-888A-D5B84E886441.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You're so full of BS.  He took a 2-win Wyoming team to two straight bowl games, barely lost the first to BYU and killed Central Michigan in the 2nd.  He proved himself enough to be the 7th overall pick in the NFL draft.  Yeah, yeah, it's Wyoming, it's the MWC, take that crap somewhere else.  The only thing he didn't prove is you!  It's people like you that drive him!

Lots of people felt that way about him. Not just the crisp one.  LOTS of people.  You still see some of those same people talking smack about him, while some have converted to Stallionism

6 hours ago, AirAllenPower said:

I wanted nothing to do with navy option Lamar.  Still don't.  I think hes extremely overrated 

The one thing I haven’t seen from Lamar yet is that he can bring a team from behind , last year the Tennessee game when he had to stay in the pocket and throw he couldn’t do it , he’s very hard to defend when you don’t know what’s coming (RPO)  , you make him one dimensional and so far he’s been less then average  ...

Edited by Putin

5 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Then maybe you should be thanking “people like me”.  Lol

But in all seriousness, your point about Allen taking a 2 win team to bowl games falls on deaf ears when you realize it didn’t happen because of superior QB play, but rather because he just happened to be the best “athlete” on the field in a very minimally talented conference- kinda like me in Little League...lol

And that’s ok...Anyone you talk to (except for yourself) of course, will tell you that Josh is an outlier, if he ends up working out long term...His pre NFL numbers did not project success as a pro- and that’s just the truth of the matter...it does not make people bad people or “full of BS”, as you like to put it, just because you can’t, emotionally, handle differing opinions based on statistical trends...but, best of luck to you...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1