I was WRONG about Josh Allen

Zerovoltz

From folks Ive read who were in the fieldhouse the night Allen was drafted overall the tenor of the crowd was some optimism but a LOT of pessimism also. Y'all know the knock he had out of college, never played against competition, strong arm no accuracy, can't teach it he'll bust yadda yadda yadda. Id like to think that JA was mentally strong enough to not let the haters get to him and proceeded to work his behind off to get better with any manner of extra coaching and help he deemed necessary....I'd say it has worked. We all see a much improved with not only experience, warrior  attitude as well as hard work and perserverance a guy who isn't even arguably our franchise QB..he IS the Bills franchise QB. The last thing I want to say about "bandwagoners" is its cool to have had doubts and he's won you over. Just dont jump off if he has a bad game or 2 that's just weak.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think he can do it in the spotlight. I don't think he can have that game in a shootout vs a good team. Yeah when the entire team is clicking vs the Cowboys and Vikings he's done well but what happens vs the better teams when we need him to score 27+ points? I don't think he can do it. We'll find out I'm sure.

In other words you're not wrong yet.

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

.....that doesn't have anything to do with it.....   It's easy to admit this because Allen has completely exceeded what I thought he'd be....if you go back and look at what I thought would happen.....it's easy to admit because I was clearly wrong about it. 

I think you're missing my point. As human beings its much more easier to heap praise when your own situation is going good.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

If they can keep him calm, I think he will be OK in those big games.

Being a year older has clearly helped with that aspect and I only expect it to get better moving forward.

I keep waiting for the collapse over the last 14 games or so and it hasn't come. Deep down I still feel the collapse is coming. 

• Sad 1

I didn’t like the pick but only because my entire Twitter timeline was filled with tweets from

PFF and FO about how bad of a QB Josh was going to be in the NFL.  They same people that trashed Josh also sang the praises of Josh Rosen. I knew that Mayfied and Darnold probably would be off the board, and I didn’t think Lamar Jackson’s game would translate to the NFL (oops).

So like most Bills fans I wanted Josh Rosen and wasn’t really happy with the selection.   But I also had enough evidence that Brandon Beane wasn’t a dumb GM ans trusted his evaluation skills.

It looks like Allen will be the Bills franchise QB, but we don’t quite know which tier he’ll be on.  The next few weeks should say a lot

I wanted the other wrong Josh simply because I thought he was the safest pick. If we were going to take a chance on an athlete that wasn’t as polished, I wanted Lamar.  I thought josh had the best arm I’d ever seen and was excited at the prospect of rooting for him, it was the feeling that if Beane picked the wrong guy, it would signal the end for him and McD....and McB was love at first sight for me.

When I saw Josh at the combine and his pro day, after watching several game tapes, I thought he was a big goofy kid. Immature, not in a bad way, but not in a way I thought he would be such a leader of men.  

boy was I wrong.....and soooo happy to admit it. 

Praise the LORD!!

• Like (+1) 1

Another series of events that I believe happened to a lot of Bills fans and posters here. 

1. Didn’t like the selection at the time, perhaps violently opposed. 
2. Quickly tried to find out all they could about him as a player and guy. 
3. Sometime soon came to the place of he’s our guy now let’s give him a chance. 
4. Were quickly won over by the person and his story and his Buffalo guy persona. 
5. Quickly saw the tremendous skills and huge heart he has and were won over before the first game. 

By rookie season, a substantial portion were still wary and an equal portion had jumped on the Josh bandwagon. And the former has been losing membership on a weekly basis since. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was skeptical of Allen when he was picked. He seemed like an all tools, no toolbox pick. I tend to like QB’s without elite physical tools because they may have very higher football IQ, accuracy, work ethics ect to compensate for physical deficiencies. I believe these things are more likely to lead to nfl success. 

However, what gave me optimism that he could prove me wrong was his love of football and, most importantly, his seeming insatiable desire to work on deficiencies and improve.

I feel so many Uber pHysically gifted QB’s like Allen fail because they have always gotten by on talent alone. They have dominated with their physical traits and when they get to the NFL and hit resistance, they don’t have the will or desire to work hard and get to the next level. Allen is not this at all. Perhaps some of this ties back to not being a highly recruited high school prospect. Regardless, I am so very excited to have Josh on the team. He is a rare bread of physical talent, work ethic and love for the game.

My first opinion of Josh Allen was that I thought he was intriguing with his incredible measurables.  I didn't root for the Bills to pick him, but I didn't bemoan the pick when it happened.  From that point on I hoped he would develop, and to my delight he has.  I don't feel the necessity to eat crow, unlike my son who was pulling for Josh Rosen and was crushed when the Bills picked Allen.  I haven't had the chance to talk with him after Allen tore things up against both the Jets and Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

My first opinion of Josh Allen was that I thought he was intriguing with his incredible measurables.  I didn't root for the Bills to pick him, but I didn't bemoan the pick when it happened.  From that point on I hoped he would develop, and to my delight he has.  I don't feel the necessity to eat crow, unlike my son who was pulling for Josh Rosen and was crushed when the Bills picked Allen.  I haven't had the chance to talk with him after Allen tore things up against both the Jets and Dolphins.

Take some time and talk to your boy.

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

.....that doesn't have anything to do with it.....   It's easy to admit this because Allen has completely exceeded what I thought he'd be....if you go back and look at what I thought would happen.....it's easy to admit because I was clearly wrong about it. 

It's two games in...why don't you wait until week 8 is over and see where he is? 

These two weeks have been incredible, but I'm not ready to crown him yet. 

40 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Another series of events that I believe happened to a lot of Bills fans and posters here. 

1. Didn’t like the selection at the time, perhaps violently opposed. 
2. Quickly tried to find out all they could about him as a player and guy. 
3. Sometime soon came to the place of he’s our guy now let’s give him a chance. 
4. Were quickly won over by the person and his story and his Buffalo guy persona. 
5. Quickly saw the tremendous skills and huge heart he has and were won over before the first game. 

I mostly resemble that remark. After the draft I understood that this was a guy with more physical tools than 99% of QBs that have played in the league. The ultimate highest-ceiling but lowest-floor type pick. I saw the wow plays in the first season where he'd flash but it was usually with the legs. I think the epiphany was the first preseason game in 2019 (Colts?) where he just drove the field with ease for first a FG and then a TD where I'm thinking, hey, this guy looks like an NFL QB running an NFL offense and making NFL throws, i.e., the kind that have spent this century beating up on the Bills, not playing for them.

The thing is, this is a guy who, as was alluded to earlier in the thread, got a late start at the position and is just making the jump now that Burrow did last year (and is only 8 months older, after all). There's still a whole lot of room between where Allen is right now, and his ceiling as a player. We shall see. If he stops developing where he's at, the team can be a perennial contender. If makes it even halfway from this point to his full potential I don't see how the team fails to win a Championship with him. If he maxes out...?

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1