I was WRONG about Josh Allen

Zerovoltz

1 minute ago, AirAllenPower said:

I wanted nothing to do with navy option Lamar.  Still don't.  I think hes extremely overrated 

I was on board with him as I thought he was a dynamic athlete. He’s already been an MVP and is off to a great start again. He would have been a fine selection. I hated Rudolph as a prospect and liked Baker and Rosen first though. 

Draft night, I was hoping for Rosen maybe Darnold if he fell.  I expected they might pick Mason R in the second or third if their guy didn’t drop. 

Once Allen was the guy picked. I got on the bus took a seat, and it’s been a rewarding ride. 

To me Lamar is still the best from the class until proven otherwise. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I was on board with him as I thought he was a dynamic athlete. He’s already been an MVP and is off to a great start again. He would have been a fine selection. I hated Rudolph as a prospect and liked Baker and Rosen first though. 

I disagree.  Polian was correct in his assessment and it's why Roman has to run variances of the navy option.  

Hes extremely limited from a cerebral standpoint and their offense is a house of cards if you get ahead....

He didn't deserve the MVP imho

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I don't think he's arrived yet though by any means, teams are going to start taking away what's been working, but he clearly improved his footwork and knowledge of the game. Also, he has so much more room for growth to go, it's wild!

Taking away what’s been working, you mean like the short, medium, long, left, right, middle, pocket, and rollout game?

I was wrong about Josh, too, although it was more because I didn’t see him that much. I was a Rosen guy, thought Baker was boom or bust, thought Darnold was good but turnover machine, and like Lamar a lot but wary of being wrong. 

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, AirAllenPower said:

I disagree.  Polian was correct in his assessment and it's why Roman has to run variances of the navy option.  

Hes extremely limited from a cerebral standpoint and their offense is a house of cards if you get ahead....

He didn't deserve the MVP imho

Your opinion about Lamar and the 2019 MVP is your opinion.  Everybody got one.

Harbaugh says Jackson is very intelligent and football driven.  I think I'll take his word over yours; somehow I don't think you know the guy very well.  Just curious if you know how many times the Ravens actually fell behind in a game last year, and how many comebacks Jackson has? 

Polian now says he was incorrect to say Jackson should switch positions:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-polian-finally-admits-he-was-wrong-to-say-lamar-jackson-should-switch-from-quarterback-to-receiver/

Lamar's Achilles heel as a QB last year was throwing to the sidelines.  Take that away and contain the run which the Bills did and the Titans copied, and he became human.  But that was easier said than done.  Dan Orlovsky and Nate Burleson say he's made great strides and is better this year.  We'll see.

Anyway, this is a thread about Josh Allen and I don't see how Lamar's qualities have to do with Josh.  It doesn't change how good Josh is or isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

Because he had never proven anything at any level, I always needed Allen to show me he could do it before I became a believer...

The 300/400 yard games back to back were huge!

Next up is beating NE for the division and winning a playoff game and I will be sold!

But I’m definitely feeling pretty good about our QB right now!

Edited by JaCrispy

Jackson has been fun to watch and I wish the best for him just like Mahomes.  I gave up on the why didn’t we take Mahomes the year before.  You can make these same arguments on Russel Wilson.  This team has been built the right way.  I love Allen and want him to be what I think he can be, and can have long term success.  Jackson deserves every accolade he receives.  If I were a Ravens fan, I would wonder can he sustain these mobility skills for the next 12 years, or will he develop into an amazing pocket passer.  Early signs are yes, but we’ll see.  Allen has the skills to have a very long runway with this team.

• Like (+1) 1

I think everyone had similar negatives about Josh coming out.  Accuracy was an issue and so was his touch.  I liked Allen after the other Josh and Darnold.  The problem that is occurring now is that nobody expected him to work so extremely hard on correcting his issues.  His second season he became more accurate on the short and intermediate throws after working on that in the off-season.  This season we are seeing his touch and accuracy on deeper passes.  He's worked hard and the results are there.  I never thought you could fix accuracy but he has kind of proven me wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I want to throw an interesting idea out there - If we had pick Mahomes that year - he would 1) not have anywhere near the stats he has compiled to this point 2) we would not have been any faster to ascend from being a perennial bottom 10 team 3) due to the smaller market stigma that Buffalo suffers from along with points 1 and 2, he would basically be viewed only slightly more favorably than Allen has been 

• Like (+1) 4

Didn't know anything about him or any QB at draft time.  I don't watch college ball.  I have liked the kid from day one.  I think he is special.  Not only does he improve but from day one he has been a total gamer.  You can tell the kid just wants to win.  Doesn't care how.  He does whatever is necessary to try and win and thats what I want out of a QB... any player really.

I don't think he can do it in the spotlight. I don't think he can have that game in a shootout vs a good team. Yeah when the entire team is clicking vs the Cowboys and Vikings he's done well but what happens vs the better teams when we need him to score 27+ points? I don't think he can do it. We'll find out I'm sure.

In other words you're not wrong yet.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

I want to throw an interesting idea out there - If we had pick Mahomes that year - he would 1) not have anywhere near the stats he has compiled to this point 2) we would not have been any faster to ascend from being a perennial bottom 10 team 3) due to the smaller market stigma that Buffalo suffers from along with points 1 and 2, he would basically be viewed only slightly more favorably than Allen has been 

No way he would be the Mahomes we saw the last two years. Possibly he’d be the Mahomes we see now, with the supporting cast we have now. But Josh is playing as good as Mahomes is with this cast. Remains to be seen if he keeps it up to any degree. 

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I joined this board, after the trade that allowed KC to select Patrick Mahomes and have stuck around the last few years to see how things played out.  I hung out here, speculating about all the 2018 QB's, the draft manuvering, and watched you guys all debate and discuss who you wanted the Bills to take. .....when the Bills took Allen.....I came here and put in my 2 cents.  I did NOT think Allen would make it as an NFL QB.  I was on the side of the debate that said, his completion pct is who he is, and who he's going to be.  I didn't think he could improve enough to be much more than an enticiing novelty.  I posted that opinion here numerous times.

I am here today to tell you.....to admit....the I was WRONG.  While I've always enjoyed watching Allen play, I'd always thought he'd ultimately be a flash in the pan in the big picture as time wore on.  He's not.  He's legit.  He's taken a big leap each season he's been in the NFL.  It's a credit to him, and especially to your coaching staff for identifying the talent, and the potential, and then actually getting Allen to progress.  I want to thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your community and give my opinion.  I have enjoyed it, and will continue to pop in from time to time.  I'm sure I'll be around when KC plays the Bills...that should be fun.  Anyhow....one more time....

I WAS WRONG ABOUT JOSH ALLEN.  I'll be having that crow now. 

If it makes you feel any better Josh says he was wrong about you, too.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I joined this board, after the trade that allowed KC to select Patrick Mahomes and have stuck around the last few years to see how things played out.  I hung out here, speculating about all the 2018 QB's, the draft manuvering, and watched you guys all debate and discuss who you wanted the Bills to take. .....when the Bills took Allen.....I came here and put in my 2 cents.  I did NOT think Allen would make it as an NFL QB.  I was on the side of the debate that said, his completion pct is who he is, and who he's going to be.  I didn't think he could improve enough to be much more than an enticiing novelty.  I posted that opinion here numerous times.

I am here today to tell you.....to admit....the I was WRONG.  While I've always enjoyed watching Allen play, I'd always thought he'd ultimately be a flash in the pan in the big picture as time wore on.  He's not.  He's legit.  He's taken a big leap each season he's been in the NFL.  It's a credit to him, and especially to your coaching staff for identifying the talent, and the potential, and then actually getting Allen to progress.  I want to thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your community and give my opinion.  I have enjoyed it, and will continue to pop in from time to time.  I'm sure I'll be around when KC plays the Bills...that should be fun.  Anyhow....one more time....

I WAS WRONG ABOUT JOSH ALLEN.  I'll be having that crow now. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14058849

• Haha (+1) 3

I thought there was some potential to be a Trubisky like reverse in the upward progress Allen made last year.  (wrong of course)

I remember your post over the summer about that. Think it was yours anyway. I thought I dismissed that fear when I brought up that Turbitzky's success in 2018 was due in part to playing with a defense that lead the league in defensive points scored and take-a-ways by an unsustainable margin. So in 2019 when those take-a-ways and defensive TD's dried up it made it harder for the Bears offense to play with a big lead and dictate their game plan. And just more pressure on the offense all around too. That was not the case for the Bills defense. They were only slightly above average in take-a-ways last year and defensive TD's.

Plus, the Bears offense got worst by losing players I believe while the Bills added to their offense. 

For the record I was an Anyone But Allen guy during the 2018 Draft. I did not have the stomach to attach ourselves to a player that was viewed as one of the biggest projects to come out in quite some time. Not after waiting over 20 years to find a replacement for Kelly. I remember just a day or two before the draft Dan Patrick started to say he was hearing the Bills really like Allen. I thought 1. BS. and 2. God i hope not.

Baker was #1 for what it is worth. Followed by Darnold, Rosen and Jackson in that order.

Glad to be wrong but I was a strong believer in Allen last year.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think he can do it in the spotlight. I don't think he can have that game in a shootout vs a good team. Yeah when the entire team is clicking vs the Cowboys and Vikings he's done well but what happens vs the better teams when we need him to score 27+ points? I don't think he can do it. We'll find out I'm sure.

In other words you're not wrong yet.

If they can keep him calm, I think he will be OK in those big games.

Being a year older has clearly helped with that aspect and I only expect it to get better moving forward.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Most of the board members here know that my “Extremely Large Board” had the 2018 QB’s ranked: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Mason Rudolph and Josh Rosen. These guys know what I projected  @Mike in Horseheads , @Beerball and @Gugny

If only I could hit on a parlay ticket like that.

• Haha (+1) 1