Joe B All-22 Review of Dolphins game

YoloinOhio

The more important topic along the offensive line has to do with Spain, who has had way too many negative plays through the first two weeks. He’s getting beaten against the pass rush and has come close to taking holding penalties too often. He’s also lost his blocks on some rushing attempts, something he didn’t do as much last year. Jon Feliciano will be back at some point, and given Ford’s strong play at right guard, left guard is a likelier landing spot for him. The Bills head coach might have even let that notion slip. When asked about Feliciano tweeting during Sunday’s game, Sean McDermott said in jest, “I’d rather see him play at right guard or left guard.” Feliciano has never played a single snap at left guard during a Bills regular-season game. Given Spain’s struggles, don’t be surprised if Feliciano replaces Spain when he returns.

In fact, given that the Bills experimented with Ford at left guard, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills switch things up for the Rams game.

In total, Epenesa had 17 snaps at both left and right defensive end, using his hands well to keep blockers off his pads. Other than that, he didn’t display much of the power he played with at Iowa. Epenesa didn’t come close to pressuring the quarterback on passing downs, he didn’t use his strength on bull rushes to force the offensive tackle backward and he was slow to recognize screens to his side. The rookie needs more time on the field to learn before we pass any judgments. The problem is that Epenesa — without the special teams fallback — is a game-day luxury when Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison and Trent Murphy are all healthy and ahead of him for snaps. If Edmunds or Milano returns this week against the Rams, Epenesa could wind up inactive once again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Hopefully he's just being a slightly timid rookie and someone (or something) will light a fire under his arse. Get after it, kid! 

I think it will be more a year of hitting the weights hard and bulking up.  So many rookies come back so much stronger in year 2

• Like (+1) 2

Darryl Johnson is ahead of him right now as well, I really like him. He’s long and explosive and I think he has the chance to a really solid player. 

I said It in another thread, but it took a while for the light bulb to go off for Epenesa at Iowa, so I assume he will take some time as a pro. If he can replace Murphy next season, then I think that is a win. AJ is not a twitchy athlete like a Johnson or Jerry, so he is not going to jump out at you. He’s a base end who could have an “Aaron Smith, Steelers” type of career, which would be very good. High floor, possibly low ceiling, but he will be a productive player for sure. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I watched Epenesa on a few plays and Joe B was right...he didn't get much push at all.  

Fitz was also getting rid of the ball very quickly; so chance of Epenesa getting to him was going to be slim 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think it will be more a year of hitting the weights hard and bulking up.  So many rookies come back so much stronger in year 2

I don't think strength is a problem with Epanesa, not at all.

More like the game is still too fast for him this early in his career.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

"Epenesa didn’t come close to pressuring the quarterback on passing downs..."

USATSI_14959861.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Honest question. What play is that from? Is AJ in the backfield or is Fitz running across the line of scrimmage. Maybe it is the way the image resized, but it looks like he is rushing. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Joe B's weekly Quinton Spain rant. Oh good. 

Did Joe B continue to harp on Spain as the season  went on last Year? It seemed to me that Spain got better last year the more games he played. Overall Spain is solid not spectacular, good not great. Which kind of goes with his salary. Maybe the Miami heat and lack of offseason workouts got to Spain, I don’t recall him getting plays off last year. Not saying it didn’t happen. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Did Joe B continue to harp on Spain as the season  went on last Year? It seemed to me that Spain got better last year the more games he played. Overall Spain is solid not spectacular, good not great. Which kind of goes with his salary. Maybe the Miami heat and lack of offseason workouts got to Spain, I don’t recall him getting plays off last year. Not saying it didn’t happen. 

He grudgingly admitted late last year Spain was playing better. This past week I don't actually think Spain played that well... he was okay not great but he hammered him week 1 as well when he was one of our best players. I think in part Joe isn't a great oline judge and two he just doesn't like Spain and there is some confirmation bias going on.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Joe B's weekly Quinton Spain rant. Oh good. 

He isnt wrong.  Spain was terrible in the playoff game, and is just average to begin with.   His cap hit next year isn't huge or anything, but it probably precludes them from putting Feliciano in at Left Guard when he returns, eventhough he is the younger better player.   

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Honest question. What play is that from? Is AJ in the backfield or is Fitz running across the line of scrimmage. Maybe it is the way the image resized, but it looks like he is rushing. 

If memory serves me, it was pressure in the backfield. That was the only play I remember noticing Epenesa during the game. It also looks like Epenesa is being held judging by the way his jersey is being pulled away from his shoulder pads. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He isnt wrong.  Spain was terrible in the playoff game, and is just average to begin with.   His cap hit next year isn't huge or anything, but it probably precludes them from putting Feliciano in at Left Guard when he returns, eventhough he is the younger better player.   

No. He is wrong. Quinton Spain didn't give up a sack in the whole of 2019 despite starting 16 games at left guard. He was the only member of our starting 5 not to surrender a sack. He is one of the most underrated players on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

No. He is wrong. Quinton Spain didn't give up a sack in the whole of 2019 despite starting 16 games at left guard. He was the only member of our starting 5 not to surrender a sack. He is one of the most underrated players on the team.

The people who track the not giving up a sack stats are as bad as PFF.  They literally dont know the Bills plays.  Just because the guy standing in front of Spain at the start of a play doesnt get a sack doesnt mean Spain was responsible for him on a given play.

Outside of Ford, Spain was the worst starter on the offensive line and he continues to be that this year.  He is an average player at best.  

Not going to convince me he is good because an analytic site said he didnt surrender a sack.  Saying that matters would tell you he is a better player than Dawkins, Morse and Feliciano because they gave up sacks and thats obviously not the case.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

The people who track the not giving up a sack stats are as bad as PFF.  They literally dont know the Bills plays.  Just because the guy standing in front of Spain at the start of a play doesnt get a sack doesnt mean Spain was responsible for him on a given play.

Outside of Ford, Spain was the worst starter on the offensive line and he continues to be that this year.  He is an average player at best.  

Not going to convince me he is good because an analytic site said he didnt surrender a sack.  Saying that matters would tell you he is a better player than Dawkins, Morse and Feliciano because they gave up sacks and thats obviously not the case.

He is a better player than Feliciano and to be honest it is not that close. It isn't about analytics it is about what is on film. He isn't a dominant run blocker. He is similar to Morse in that regard, but he is one of the best pass blocking guards out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think we can expect Feliciano to come back from a torn pec & be what he was in 2019. That is a major injury for an OL and his strength will not be back to 100% this season. I'm sure he'll be solid in spurts, but we can't expect him at full strength anytime soon.