OL/DL win rate after 2 weeks

syhuang

Only 2 games of stats and opponents matter, but anyway, here are the pass blocking, run blocking, pass rushing and run stopping win rates so far:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

Bills are #1 in Team Pass Rush Win Rate at 66%

#21 in Team Run Stop Win Rate at 29%

#6 in Team Pass Block Win Rate at 67%             

#30 in Team Run Block Win Rate at 64%      

Hughes is #2 in DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate at 41%

Murphy is #5 in DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate at 30%

Oliver is #10 in DT Pass Rush Win Rate at 18%

Morse is #9 in OC Pass Block Win Rate at 96%

Edited by syhuang
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Only 2 games of stats and opponents matter, but anyway, here are the pass blocking, run blocking, pass rushing and run stopping win rates so far:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

I would be curious to see this number weekly. I know we are two weeks in, but we were worked week 1 vs. week 2 in run blocking. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone with eyes can see our Dline has been outstanding in generating pressure. Darnold and Fitz have been off their spot or throwing as they got hit endlessly. 

The people in the game day threads saying "where is the rush?" Don't know what they are watching. Ed Oliver and Jerry Hughes have been outstanding. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Anyone with eyes can see our Dline has been outstanding in generating pressure. Darnold and Fitz have been off their spot or throwing as they got hit endlessly. 

The people in the game day threads saying "where is the rush?" Don't know what they are watching. Ed Oliver and Jerry Hughes have been outstanding. 

i think maybe we just caught fitz on a heater. Thank goodness our offense has finally caught up.

Murphy win rate of 30% puts him in top 5.  Hughes at 41% I can see. He beats his guy often but has not been able to get the sacks and strips. Still doesn’t get respect from the officials. I watch the line play closely, and I just don’t see Murphy winning 30% but Oliver winning less than 1 in 5 times seems low.  Would be interesting to see how they define a win.  Addison has two sacks. Wonder what his win rate is.

I’ve advocated for another pas rusher but if our two DEs are truly top 5 rushers then obviously that is not a need.  

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Murphy win rate of 30% puts him in top 5.  Hughes at 41% I can see. He beats his guy often but has not been able to get the sacks and strips. Still doesn’t get respect from the officials. I watch the line play closely, and I just don’t see Murphy winning 30% but Oliver winning less than 1 in 5 times seems low.  Would be interesting to see how they define a win.  Addison has two sacks. Wonder what his win rate is.

I’ve advocated for another pas rusher but if our two DEs are truly top 5 rushers then obviously that is not a need.  

You never see what you do not wish to see.

• Like (+1) 1

I was hoping someone would fish for the info on the lines as I have been happy with the manner both have played thus far this year. Josh gets a ton of kudo’s (deservedly) but without the line, nothing happens. 

Ed is a revelation...really stepped up his game. Hughes seems ageless at this point...pretty amazing. 

This week will speak volumes about the O line. They better have help. 

What is interesting is my concern about the Addison signing was the advanced analytics and eye test showed a player in 2019 who won significantly fewer of his rush attempts than in the past but was extraordinarily productive in terms of hits and sacks on the plays where he does win. I was sceptical that he could continue to deliver that production on such limited rush wins... but so far that is exactly what it looks like he is doing again to my eyes. He isn't beating his guy that often but when he does he impacts the play. It is remarkable efficiency and maybe it is evidence of a guy who isn't so much physically falling off but who is acknowledging his age and picking and choosing his moments more than in the past. Whatever the reason I hope it continues. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

You never see what you do not wish to see.

When a pickpocket walks down the street, all he notices is pockets.  When a horny man walks down the street, all he notices is who he wants to do.  

Our paradigms and desires shape our perceptions.  

There are Bills fans who are not Murphy fans.  They tend to notice his flaws and are less likely to see his strengths.  

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

When a pickpocket walks down the street, all he notices is pockets.  When a horny man walks down the street, all he notices is who he wants to do.  

There are Bills fans who are not Murphy fans.  They tend to notice his flaws and are less likely to see his strengths.  

Fair point. I praised his hustle tackle from behind on running play last week in the moment.  I see a guy that takes very wide route to the QB and doesn’t have the power to move the tackle off his spot. Hughes has speed, gets low and takes a better angle to the QB. Neither have much of a spin move but Hughes is good on stunts.

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

He’s a pretty good pass rusher.

He’s not a good run defender.  

that’s really about all there is imo. 😆

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Fair point. I praised his hustle tackle from behind on running play last week in the moment.  I see a guy that takes very wide route to the QB and doesn’t have the power to move the tackle off his spot. Hughes has speed, gets low and takes a better angle to the QB. Neither have much of a spin move but Hughes is good on stunts.

Hughes had a pretty good spin imo.  I just rarely see him use it nowadays.  He is really effective on stunts 💯.  He and Ed fun to watch when they work together in a stunt

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Ed Oliver sucks. 

Box score says so. 

Wat?

3 hours ago, syhuang said:

Of course number may be slanted by playing the Jets, who had a stout run D last year....

....but in another thread someone commented about our excellent run blocking and I was like "um....."

So there's that

Part of the pass blocking looking so good vs Dolphins was because a bunch of the time they were only rushing 4 and keeping a LB back to spy Allen. Iirc they were also pretty shy about getting upfield or out of position so not a ton of twists/stunts or different looks in passrush. As teams have to start respecting the pass game they will begin to send more pressure w different fronts which should in theory open up his run lanes again. Might be a seesaw kind of year for the pass/run statistics depending on whether the opposition plays Allen as more of a run threat or pass threat. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, syhuang said:

I think Hughes numbers are a bit deceptive. He does win but takes such a long path outside that the QB can step in and throw in time. I have always felt Hughes shd mix it up a bit and not use the outside move every time.

Murphy is the real surprise here. WTG Trent!

found this interesting from rams sight.  

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/lists/rams-bills-week-3-facts-stats-nfl/

See number 4.  Best win rate for pass rush.  Hughes again dominating without stats.  

Contrary to belief we are doing well.  Fitz made us look worse as he gets rid of ball so damn fast. 

Thoughts. 

4 hours ago, syhuang said:

As Sean likes to say it all starts up front.