Miyagi-Do Karate

Surprised by any of the new players?

Without training camp or pre-season, I have to say that I have been really surprised by a lot of our new players, after seeing them in live action. By way of example:

1) Moss.  Moss is not how I envisioned him at all.  I thought he would be more of a big bruiser. He is stout, but his style and size is very similar to Singletary-- maybe a cross between Singletary and Travis henry!

2) Addison. Similar thing-- I envisioned him as being more of a smaller speedster. The guy is huge!

3) Dodson.  Just super impressed by him. I can see him being a major part of the rotation going forward. Seems like he reads the run really well, and has some solid coverage skills.

Any other surprises?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I'm surprised Tyler Bass is in love with the right upright!

Ugh GIF - Ugh FacePalm Dread - Discover & Share GIFs | Giphy, Abc network,  Dreads

The short TE Reggie Gilliam is playing well for number of snaps.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Gabe Davis producing this early. Nice to see. 

This was absolutely my first thought. I’m excited to see more of him. 

Diggs isn’t a rookie, but he is “new”, and even better than I expected! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Gabe Davis producing this early. Nice to see. 

Davis looks like he could be a stud.  That catch in the endzone was amazing.  He appears to be running good routes, etc.  Although with so much attention on the other WRs, it's really hard to grade his ability to get open.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The short TE Reggie Gilliam is playing well for number of snaps.  

Massive upgrade from DiMarco.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Gabriel Davis. I think we knew he was going to be pretty good, but he has excellent hands on is a pure baller. 

Moss- surprised in another way- I feel he has to wait for the game to slow some for him and then he will be a stud. Right now I see some indecisiveness and then it effects his balance some as well. 

Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Gabriel Davis. I think we knew he was going to be pretty good, but he has excellent hands on is a pure baller. 

Moss- surprised in another way- I feel he has to wait for the game to slow some for him and then he will be a stud. Right now I see some indecisiveness and then it effects his balance some as well. 

Just my opinion.

agree with both of these.  Moss has not been as dominant as I expected.  Singletary, even though not new, surprised, he looks even better than last year...he looks quicker, if that's possible.  

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Absolutely Gabe Davis....yes we hear he was doing great in camp but he is transferring it over to games

lol. That is refreshing after all of the training camp heroes we have had over the years.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

agree with both of these.  Moss has not been as dominant as I expected.  Singletary, even though not new, surprised, he looks even better than last year...he looks quicker, if that's possible.  

I finally got to watch the whole (condensed) game yesterday (Thanks, Jasman!) and the one performance that jumped out at me, compared to what I had “seen” on GameCast and read online, was 26.  IMHO, DS made the absolute most of every opportunity, was quick, tough, and relentless.  Love the player. 

Methinks with him as a mentor, Moss will finger it out sooner than later, and then we’ve got DaBomb RB duo...

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Massive upgrade from DiMarco.

Is he really playing the same role?  Really didn't notice has he been lining up in the backfield or more playing a traditional TE position?

May be just as good at ST as DeMarco already which for a rookie says alot.  I know that was one of the things Gilliam was known for in college.

Davis, Gilliam, Murphy and Dodson have been real surprises

Allen, Diggs not included though they have exceeded expectations (my expectations were high for these 2)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Is he really playing the same role?  Really didn't notice has he been lining up in the backfield or more playing a traditional TE position?

May be just as good at ST as DeMarco already which for a rookie says alot.  I know that was one of the things Gilliam was known for in college.

He has more TD's in two games than DiMarco had in 3 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

Also impressed with Addison. He seems to be playing a bit of the Lorax role on defense. He’s playing some base end, but moving around a lot in the sub packages, even at the 3 tech as Lorax did the last few years. Very impressed by him. 

I am disappointed with Knox thus far this season. I think he will be fine down the line, but he is not making the impact so far this season. Perhaps that is a result of how he has been used this year, but he’s mostly blown the opportunities he’s had thus far...and now he is hurt. 

Gabe Davis looks massive, fast, and good hands. Me likey

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He has more TD's in two games than DiMarco had in 3 seasons.

Yes but he's not the deep threat DeMarco was.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 10