Chargers Team Doctor accidentally punctured Tyrod’s lung; Herbert to start week 3

YoloinOhio

But was it really “accidental”?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think this is getting WAY too much attention. Who amongst us has NOT deflated the lung of an NFL QB minutes before a game?   🤷‍♂️

Let us not cast the first stone! 

Now that is FUNNY!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I think this is getting WAY too much attention. Who amongst us has NOT deflated the lung of an NFL QB minutes before a game?   🤷‍♂️

No collapsed lung, but otherwise related.

I hold, (I was told), the University of Virginia Medical Center record for most broken ribs and surviving.

21 of the human allotment of 24 broken.

Only five required titanium patches.

Don't ask.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Mango said:

Especially for injuries. We are MUCH too quick to administer a shot, give pills, or perform surgery. Most herniated discs don't need to be operated on. Most knee, hip, back, neck, shoulder, etc. issues can be fixed with a really good physio or S/C coach.

Meh, give me the Vicodin, then put me in coach I'm ready to play.  It works great, just ask Brett Favre. 

10 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Apparently this was all Tyrod's fault.  The doctor was supposed to administer the shot to the 4th rib but Tyrod told him that he was positive it was the 5th rib.  The doctor of course didn't believe Tyrod so he told the doctor to check down a rib.

giphy.gif

But honestly do feel bad for him.  That's one of the strangest things I've probably heard related to a pre-game injury (right up there with slipping on gym mats and blowing out your knee).

I heard that Tyrod sneezed during the injection. 

15 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

When the outcome is a known complication, there is no way you can call that an "error." This poor physician is getting killed in the court of public opinion and is likely top notch and feels horrible. 

If he gave him a cardiac tamponade, then you can talk to me about error. I am in a procedurally based specialty and this thread makes me cringe. 

I'm a cardiologist. Like I said it can be an error if the complication is based on bad technique or bad judgement.  Dilating an artery with a balloon too big is an error. Causing a disection using proper sized balloon and right pressure is a known complication. 

I've never given a pain injection to a rib nor do I know if they try to numb the perisosteum(like they do with a bone marrow biopsy) or if they are trying to numb the nerve running under the rib. Numbing the nerve like a nerve block seems awfully dangerous given the blood supply runs there as well and you would have to get the depth of the needle just right. Numbing the perisosteum seems pretty straightforward. 

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

No collapsed lung, but otherwise related.

I hold, (I was told), the University of Virginia Medical Center record for most broken ribs and surviving.

21 of the human allotment of 24 broken.

Only five required titanium patches.

Don't ask.

Oh, I'm asking. :devil:

You can ignore me and I won't inquire further, but you wouldn't respect me if I didn't try.....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Oh, I'm asking. :devil:

You can ignore me and I won't inquire further, but you wouldn't respect me if I didn't try.....

I was trying to repair a very small hydraulic fluid leak under a 45hp tractor that weighed about 4000 pounds and had a 500 pound mower attached to the back.

I was underneath and tightening a bolt when the wrench slipped and hit the mechanical link from the foot pedal to the hydrostatic transmission, and the tractor started forward, jumping a chock I had in front of it.. The turf tire grabbed my shirt sleeve in about a tenth of a second and there was no time to get out.

Tractor ran over my chest with me face down, luckily in an area of our landscaping that had about thee inches of mulch, so it compressed a bit, probably saving my life. Got all the ribs on the right side, and all but three on the left.

Got up, got the tractor shut down, came in and sat on the couch and my wife came in the room and told me I looked horrible. I told her what happened and she drove me to the hospital.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

I was trying to repair a very small hydraulic fluid leak under a 45hp tractor that weighed about 4000 pounds and had a 500 pound mower attached to the back.

I was underneath and tightening a bolt when the wrench slipped and hit the mechanical link from the foot pedal to the hydrostatic transmission, and the tractor started forward, jumping a chock I had in front of it.. The turf tire grabbed my shirt sleeve in about a tenth of a second and there was no time to get out.

Tractor ran over my chest with me face down, luckily in an area of our landscaping that had about thee inches of mulch, so it compressed a bit, probably saving my life. Got all the ribs on the right side, and all but three on the left.

Got up, got the tractor shut down, came in and sat on the couch and my wife came in the room and told me I looked horrible. I told her what happened and she drove me to the hospital.

Holy schnikes, man.

I'm going to go mulch my garage right now.

Glad your good luck outweighed your bad luck. :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

jesus christ. do you still have the tractor?

52 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Thats some story. Glad  the broken ribs didnt puncture the variety of organs under neath. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Thats some story. Glad  the broken ribs didn't puncture the variety of organs underneath. 

No puncture of the thoracic cavity, thank goodness.

Next time you see a toad hiding under a log or piece of wood and wonder how it stays alive while the thing over it is being walked on, notice its posture and ability to get real "flat."

Worked for me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

Ummmm....ouch.

20 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

There are risks with ANY medical procedure.  So before you call anyone an imbecile, know that Tyrod signed a consent and was advised a pneumothorax was a potential complication of the procedure.   

I'll call him an imbecile if my personal opinion feel like it's warranted. You can store your comments about consent waivers, Tyrod was in pain and had a piece of paper placed in front of him and was told if he wanted to play he needed a shot and had to sign the waiver to get one. Med field people coming out of the woodwork in this thread to defend someone without knowing the standard of care provided or the competence of the physician is tribalism at its best. 

26 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'll call him an imbecile if my personal opinion feel like it's warranted. You can store your comments about consent waivers, Tyrod was in pain and had a piece of paper placed in front of him and was told if he wanted to play he needed a shot and had to sign the waiver to get one. Med field people coming out of the woodwork in this thread to defend someone without knowing the standard of care provided or the competence of the physician is tribalism at its best. 

Your personal opinion is ignorant and uninformed at best. 

“We don’t know the care provided but he’s an imbecile!”

Is your tribe the malpractice lawyers that set up shop across from the ED?

Edited by FireChans

On 9/23/2020 at 4:44 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This situation is different though. He can easily argue that the Chargers pressured him into signing it. When I go to the doctor I have a choice of the doctor and what I want done. He was directed to the team doctor and certainly had a “choice” but the doctor is paid by the team. These elements are all in play in addition to the general malpractice. There’s no chance that this just gets filed under “we all make mistakes.” It will end up as a substantial settlement and a new team doctor. 

Every plaintiff makes some sort of argument or claim. He would have to prove he was pressured into accepting the block. I'm guessing the opposite is true--no doubt he wanted to start that game no matter what it took.  Is a jury going to believe he did NOT want a procedure that would help him keep his (always) tenuous starting job? Would anyone beleive that Anthony Lynn "pressured" him into this?  No.

Pneumothorax is a known complication of a thoracic block.  If a patient is made aware of the risks, and then suffers a known complication on a properly performed procedure, he doesn't prove negligence.  His ONLY recourse is to prove the procedure was performed in a manner that clearly deviated form the standard of care.  

18 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Is that Dr. David Chao? The guy with all the licensing issues noted in that tweet?

By the way, we never would have heard of this pain killing injection had it not gone so horribly wrong. The NFL needs to be transparent about this stuff, like horse racing where they get a little "running on Lasix" note.

HUH??

The NFL has to violate HIPAA laws and disclose medical treatments that players undergo?

That's crazy and illegal.  We don't have a right to know.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every plaintiff makes some sort of argument or claim. He would have to prove he was pressured into accepting the block. I'm guessing the opposite is true--no doubt he wanted to start that game no matter what it took.  Is a jury going to believe he did NOT want a procedure that would help him keep his (always) tenuous starting job? Would anyone beleive that Anthony Lynn "pressured" him into this?  No.

Pneumothorax is a known complication of a thoracic block.  If a patient is made aware of the risks, and then suffers a known complication on a properly performed procedure, he doesn't prove negligence.  His ONLY recourse is to prove the procedure was performed in a manner that clearly deviated form the standard of care.  

HUH??

The NFL has to violate HIPAA laws and disclose medical treatments that players undergo?

That's crazy and illegal.  We don't have a right to know.

If it's good enough for Tiz the Law, it's good enough for Tyrod.

Seriously, though: no injury reports because of HIPAA? We are talking about a treatment given solely to facilitate an athletic performance. Gamblers rely on this information! Is nothing sacred?

• Haha (+1) 1