Chargers Team Doctor accidentally punctured Tyrod’s lung; Herbert to start week 3

YoloinOhio

44 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No. Tyrod likely consented to the medical procedure and accepted the risks of injection up to and including.

That doesn’t matter if he consented to it or not. He can EASILY say that he was pressured into agreeing. That’s totally irrelevant in this case. He will be getting PAID.

43 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

He already stole a boatload or money from the bills.    He’s good.  

Lol, you are going to be so mad when he gets paid another big chunk. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That doesn’t matter if he consented to it or not. He can EASILY say that he was pressured into agreeing. That’s totally irrelevant in this case. He will be getting PAID.

How on earth is this guy an NFL team doctor.........outside of Cleveland? 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Patients who suffer complications of procedures and then sue always challenge the consent they signed.  Unless the consent form is woefully incomplete and not standard and the circumstances under which it was signed involved s patient signed include them not being mentally competent to sign, these challenges are usually pointless. 

if he didn’t sign one then that’s another issue.  But if the doc documents a proper consenting conversation at the time, he should be ok.   

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that I read that wrong 😬.  Either way, the Chargers suck at hiring doctors 😂😂

Chao is horrible 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Patients who suffer complications of procedures and then sue always challenge the consent they signed.  Unless the consent form is woefully incomplete and not standard and the circumstances under which it was signed involved s patient signed include them not being mentally competent to sign, these challenges are usually pointless. 

if he didn’t sign one then that’s another issue.  But if the doc documents a proper consenting conversation at the time, he should be ok.   

This situation is different though. He can easily argue that the Chargers pressured him into signing it. When I go to the doctor I have a choice of the doctor and what I want done. He was directed to the team doctor and certainly had a “choice” but the doctor is paid by the team. These elements are all in play in addition to the general malpractice. There’s no chance that this just gets filed under “we all make mistakes.” It will end up as a substantial settlement and a new team doctor. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This situation is different though. He can easily argue that the Chargers pressured him into signing it. When I go to the doctor I have a choice of the doctor and what I want done. He was directed to the team doctor and certainly had a “choice” but the doctor is paid by the team. These elements are all in play in addition to the general malpractice. There’s no chance that this just gets filed under “we all make mistakes.” It will end up as a substantial settlement and a new team doctor. 

if your arguing that he was legally coerced into signing it, that will be difficult to prove.   That said, he will get paid because it's likely you can't waive away rights you haven't yet acquired (why many "waivers" are unenforceable).  It's why doctors have insurance.  Although, he's not going to make a ton here (by med mal standards), really just pain and suffering. Lost wages are unlikely, unless he can prove he is missing out on a performance bonus or game bonus.  

12 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Now that is bad luck....he wont start again unless Herbert gets injured.

the way Herbert was playing, why did Lynn have him on the bench!   Also, Lynn said that TT is still the starter, which is bonkers.

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

if your arguing that he was legally coerced into signing it, that will be difficult to prove.   That said, he will get paid because it's likely you can't waive away rights you haven't yet acquired (why many "waivers" are unenforceable).  It's why doctors have insurance.  Although, he's not going to make a ton here (by med mal standards), really just pain and suffering. Lost wages are unlikely, unless he can prove he is missing out on a performance bonus or game bonus.  

the way Herbert was playing, why did Lynn have him on the bench!   Also, Lynn said that TT is still the starter, which is bonkers.

This situation is different than typical medial malpractice because the patient didn’t pick the doctor.

The settlement will get big if Tyrod’s team can prove that his future earnings are negatively impacted because he ends up not playing. I would imagine that the Chargers guarantee all of his potential bonuses this year. If Herbert doesn’t look back (which looks to be the case) Taylor’s people could argue that his future was negatively impacted because of it. Again, it is all with a settlement in mind. 

Is zhebert connected to this doctor???  Is he on his fantasy team?

seriously....not this way, but in my life I have gotten perforated lung twice.  Each time in ICU I think st buff general.

Areas where you have cartAlidge like in between your ribs and your throat feel like popping like air bubbles in packaging material.

medical mistakes happen, which I'm sure the docs intent was not to do harm but man, what a drag for taylor.

he likely loses his starting position to the kid but he'll still collect a nice paycheck and be there just in case.

Edited by XXI~PsychedelicBillsfan~

I’m a physician. There is a difference between malpractice and a known complication. The physician can do everything correctly and a complication can still occur. Of course he/she could have also committed malpractice by not ensuring he was in the correct area or not paying attention to what he/she is doing.  The consent does not absolve the physician of liability especially if they commit an error. Explaining potential complications to a patient is part of informed consent.  It does not waive a patient’s rights.

We mark the surgical site before surgery to ensure the correct site is used when laterality is an issue. We have right and left knees, breasts, feet, eyes, lungs. It’s imperative to double check xrays and check with the patient before surgery. Many errors can occur solely relying on the physician order or notes where right and left can be mistakenly entered into the record. You can not tell the difference between a right and left knee on X-ray or MRI unless it is properly labeled.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can easily argue the sky is green.

Thats still not how it works.