Chargers Team Doctor accidentally punctured Tyrod’s lung; Herbert to start week 3

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No laughing matter, a punctured lung can kill you.  This guy should be stripped of his medical license.

Almost every single pulmonologist/anesthesiologist who regularly does thoracentesis or nerve blocks has likely had a pneumothorax. It just happens. 

It is disheartening to see everyone immediately crucify the physician here. 

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's amazing the pain and punishment these guys put their bodies through to play the game.  I broke my ribs in a mountain biking accident in June and I could barely sleep for 3 weeks, and coughing or sneezing felt like getting hit with a baseball bat.   These guys just take a shot, go out and get pummeled by 300 pound he-men.

Also the shot does not make the pain go away. It just goes from stabbing to throbbing. 

I had a stress fracture that was misdiagnosed as something else by a dumbarse physio on OKC. I was told I could row through it without making anything worse, that it was "just about pain management" I was getting shots and taking dos packs, plus wrapping my ribs to practice 2-3 times per day. I went through World Championship selection on it. I actually raced the Canadian Team on it. It still hurt like hell every.single.day. all day....until my rib finally flat out broke just warming up one morning. 

Agassi talks about it too. Cortisone never made his back 100% it just made it bearable. 

Just now, PirateHookerMD said:

Almost every single pulmonologist/anesthesiologist who regularly does thoracentesis or nerve blocks has likely had a pneumothorax. It just happens. 

Agreed. If the doctor had his way, people wouldn't do half the stupid stuff they do.

Before someone gets on me for what I said about Milano and Edmunds, my stance is don't get hurt. If you do get hurt, I have little sympathy. People good at what they do don't suffer through it. Maybe this isn't for you, and you need to find something else.

5 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

But......we deserve to have everything in our lives be perfect!

TBH, I'm not sure that Tyrod should have been playing with cracked ribs, regardless.

The end result could have been the same, but worse, if it happened after he took a big hit.

I get that guys play through pain regularly, and probably progressively so as the season goes on, but the potential for much worse happening from a cracked rib, seems to me to be not worth it.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Stuff like this is more common than we want to admit. Perhaps not in the NFL, but it is in the general administering of medical care in the US and around the world. 

Especially for injuries. We are MUCH too quick to administer a shot, give pills, or perform surgery. Most herniated discs don't need to be operated on. Most knee, hip, back, neck, shoulder, etc. issues can be fixed with a really good physio or S/C coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/9/23/21452581/tyrod-taylor-punctured-lung-chargers-team-doctor

Holy crap!  That just should not happen.

Don't the Chargers kind of have a history of having incompetent medical people, though?  Example:
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-chao-0106-story.html
https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771

2 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

It is exceptionally common for players to get nerve blocks, toradol injections, etc prior to games. 

I disagree with your assertion that any lawyer gets a payout here if proper informed consent was obtained. Guess we will find out. 

It happens all of the time no doubt. However, unlike  when I go to the doctor that doctor works for my employer. My employer has a vested interest in me taking that injection. It is already under review by the NFLPA. They aren’t going to take this “it happens.” There will be a substantial payout. 

Just now, Mango said:

Especially for injuries. We are MUCH too quick to administer a shot, give pills, or perform surgery. Most herniated discs don't need to be operated on. Most knee, hip, back, neck, shoulder, etc. issues can be fixed with a really good physio or S/C coach.

Not just injuries as medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the US. We sign those disclaimers for a reason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Holy crap!  That just should not happen.

Don't the Chargers kind of have a history of having incompetent medical people, though?  Example:
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-chao-0106-story.html

Yes, he was fired, but is still practicing as a doctor. He’s also @profootballdoc on twitter and called this a couple days ago -

10 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

If a pneumothorax is a "routine" complication, why the hell wasn't this procedure performed in a hospital rather than the locker room before the game?  Asking for a friend.

10 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

It is disheartening to see everyone immediately crucify the physician here

With all due respect who deserves the blame? This is clearly a BAD situation and from where I’m sitting it is 100% the physician’s fault. It’s unfortunate, and an accident, but still their fault. It’s like a car accident. No one wants it to happen but someone is usually to blame.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Sure folks may take it to heart, but most stuff here is tongue and cheek.

I am sure most doctors would understand how much visibility and scrutiny their work could have if their patients are in the public eye.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

With all due respect who deserves the blame? This is clearly a BAD situation and from where I’m sitting it is 100% the physician’s fault. It’s unfortunate, and an accident, but still their fault. It’s like a car accident. No one wants it to happen but someone is usually to blame.

Yep. Although, that said, NFL teams really gotta stop that "Aha! Got ya to look!" game they play behind doctors right before they inject shots.

• Like (+1) 1