Chargers Team Doctor accidentally punctured Tyrod’s lung; Herbert to start week 3

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The good news for Tyrod is he’s about to be quite rich (not that he wasn’t already). It’s going to be interesting to watch this situation unfold from a liability and work comp standpoint. 

Incredibly naive and one of the problems with healthcare. Complications and bad outcomes happen. It does not automatically mean a lawsuit is justified. A complication does not equal malpractice. I would guess this is an excellent and well-trained physician who feels horrible and is embarrassed that this happened and now has the world judging him/her. 

Hopefully the Chargers followed all customary processes of informed consent, etc, or then in that case they could have a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Incredibly naive and one of the problems with healthcare. Complications and bad outcomes happen. It does not automatically mean a lawsuit is justified. A complication does not equal malpractice. I would guess this is an excellent and well-trained physician who feels horrible and is embarrassed that this happened and now has the world judging him/her. 

Hopefully the Chargers followed all customary processes of informed consent, etc, or then in that case they could have a problem

It’s not naive at all. I work in insurance and watch work comp and malpractice all day long. Any lawyer worth $.10 will be able to talk through this. He was supposed to be starting a game for a NFL almost immediately after this. This isn’t one of those “are you sure you want to go through with this” situations. Was the doctor working on behalf of the player or the team? If they can link this to him losing his job and his future earnings because of that they are screwed. This one is pretty simple from that standpoint. It’s just a matter of where the number ends up.

41 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I really feel for him. That is so terrible and sad. Say what you want about Tyrod, but he was always a standup guy (and still appears to be). 

Me too.  Imagine being TT and sitting there hearing Herbert is having a strong game while at the hospital recovering from a doctors mistake. He must have been so frustrated and pissed knowing that this probably cost him his job.  And worse yet, it’s going to turn the fans on him too because the moment TT struggles all the boos will come strong as they will want the new kid.  

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

MD here, known complication, can do everything right and ***** happens. 

Thanks for that info. I'd posit that perhaps medical innovation needs to get to the point where puncturing a lung isn't a known complication for something like administering a painkiller. Unfortunately a great deal of money for medical innovation is going to fix people's erections and not more effective tools for accomplishing more mundane everyday tasks.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not naive at all. I work in insurance and watch work comp and malpractice all day long. Any lawyer worth $.10 will be able to talk through this. He was supposed to be starting a game for a NFL almost immediately after this. This isn’t one of those “are you sure you want to go through with this” situations. Was the doctor working on behalf of the player or the team? If they can link this to him losing his job and his future earnings because of that they are screwed. This one is pretty simple from that standpoint. It’s just a matter of where the number ends up.

It is exceptionally common for players to get nerve blocks, toradol injections, etc prior to games. 

I disagree with your assertion that any lawyer gets a payout here if proper informed consent was obtained. Guess we will find out.