QB School: Over Josh Allen

Fixxxer

21 hours ago, MJS said:

I just think you could find these types of plays for even the best QB's in the NFL on any given Sunday. Players are bound to miss things and make mistakes. They aren't robots.

A QB's performance should be measured in totality, not by one or two plays they missed or made.

Agree.  Watching game film after the fact, with different angles, and minutes of review makes for an easy analysis.  I wonder how he would do in Josh's position - 3 seconds with multiple moving targets and 4-5 guys trying to sack him.  Easy at a desk, a bit more difficult in real life.

In addition, Josh was criticized for not taking the sure profit.  Yet when he does, is criticized for not taking the bigger chance.  OK with reviews, but be consistent.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Agree.  Watching game film after the fact, with different angles, and minutes of review makes for an easy analysis.  I wonder how he would do in Josh's position - 3 seconds with multiple moving targets and 4-5 guys trying to sack him.  Easy at a desk, a bit more difficult in real life.

That's kind of the point of film, isn't it, to slow it down and show your QB EVERYTHING that's happening in those three seconds so they can recognize it in real time later on?  You don't think that when Daboll says "hey you came off your first read too quickly" Josh is saying "yeah that's easy at a desk coach but a bit more difficult in real life," do you?

• Like (+1) 1

First, thanks for posting this. It's difficult to express how great it is, after all these years, to be having videos and conversations like this about a Buffalo quarterback/offense.

Forgive my naivete, but he references 'mailboxes' a few times. Is he talking about the receiver throwing his hand up to signal he's open?

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

First, thanks for posting this. It's difficult to express how great it is, after all these years, to be having videos and conversations like this about a Buffalo quarterback/offense.

Forgive my naivete, but he references 'mailboxes' a few times. Is he talking about the receiver throwing his hand up to signal he's open?

Yup

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Crappy players often make better coaches than great players. 

The word crappy player in the NFL is total hyperbole lol

A crappy player didn't play in little Loop football or rode the bench in high school

Sullivan still had a D1 scholarship and went to the NFL. He could realistically  throw better than every single person on this board

Maybe not great for the  NFL, but the dude definitely had a lot of football talent still

But generally low end college players or low end NFL players make better coaches than all stars

• Like (+1) 1

Two things struck me from this video:

1.  Our offence against Miami had multiple open receivers on many of the plays.   

2.  The biggest criticism of Josh was that he hit the checkdown on a couple of plays when a receiver was open further down field.  Each of those checkdowns turned into 20-yd gains with the YAC.  (Yes - I'm ignoring the Knox fumble at the end of one)

This collection of receivers, combined with Daboll's play design and Josh play at the next level is setting up to be the most exciting Bill's offence that I've had the chance to watch.  I missed the Superbowl teams of the 90's, so there wasn't much competition.

18 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It’s very good. And he doesn’t. And he played in the league. And he knows his stuff. 

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont let yourself miss out on some good analysis over something so petty.

JT isnt wrong. The pass probably should have gone to Brown. And for novices like us, I appreciate the breakdown because my amateur eyes would never have picked that up.

This is much more similar to how Daboll/Josh will break down the film. And it is that kind of insight I am looking for, as opposed to the absolute idiots they have on ESPN who do nothing but ball-wash the Cowboys.

I havent watched the hour+ breakdown from Cover1 this week yet, but I bet they point out similar things. It isnt a major knock on Josh, just constructive criticism.

I respect both of you as posters so I'll watch it at some point. Maybe I misread that initial post but I can't stand people watching all-22 footage without knowing the play call and saying "here's what the QB should have done." It's one thing to say a QB missed a read or left the pocket early or something like that, but I find it hard to criticize a 38 yard completion that looked like it was designed to go to Knox from the start. If Knox was the first read, Allen isn't going to move beyond him. He's wide open with room to run. Maybe he read the defense wrong pre-snap and should have looked at Brown, but only he and Daboll know for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I respect both of you as posters so I'll watch it at some point. Maybe I misread that initial post but I can't stand people watching all-22 footage without knowing the play call and saying "here's what the QB should have done." It's one thing to say a QB missed a read or left the pocket early or something like that, but I find it hard to criticize a 38 yard completion that looked like it was designed to go to Knox from the start. If Knox was the first read, Allen isn't going to move beyond him. He's wide open with room to run. Maybe he read the defense wrong pre-snap and should have looked at Brown, but only he and Daboll know for sure.

I think if you watch it you will like it a lot, and you don't have to agree with every point he made. I didn't. But it's really good I think, as far as some entertainment, some x's and o's, some blathering. He definitely knows what he's talking about, and he has enormous praise for Allen the whole way through.

• Like (+1) 1

Solid breakdown, the guy obviously knows what he's talking about. I'm sure every QB watches the film on Monday and sees something he didn't see during the game. And I mean, if you're still executing the offense and being effective, does it matter that much if you're not throwing to your first read? Or throwing with anticipation? I know these are things JA will continue to develop but as it is right now, if the play is there it's there whether it's "see it-throw it" or an anticipation throw. 

21 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

In addition, Josh was criticized for not taking the sure profit.  Yet when he does, is criticized for not taking the bigger chance.  OK with reviews, but be consistent.

Yea the general vibe JT gives off is that Allen almost made more mistakes than good plays which is what bothers me. Its not the occasional "This could have been a bigger play..." its almost every play was an error and the occassional positive. Which just doesnt fit. I would like another successful QB or coach to review this video and say whether its legit or nit picky. My gut tells me nit-picky but I dont know enough.

Like would Rogers have thrown for 600 yards and 6TDs within the same game because he wouldnt have ever missed a single opportunity to maximize gains? My intuition tells me no but Im not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice piece. If you don't get much action here it is because it was posted and discussed back in September. Just an FYI

IMO Peyton's "Detailed" episode is better:

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

What I really like about the video is that, as awesome as Josh was in this game, it’s just the tip of the iceberg of his potential....👍

Yes.  Josh still has plenty of room for being a better decision maker.   The sky is the limit for being in this scheme and executing in it.