Edmunds and Milano both practice all week, expected to be active vs. Rams

YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I love McVay, respect him a lot but I think McDermott is about to ***** him up. In the Superbowl he wasn't ready for Belichick to have diagnosed his stuff and have his guys prepared for it and not-fooled by the 'window dressing.' McVay had no answers, no adjustments. According to film junky Chris Simms the Rams have a number of new wrinkles that have helped their O get off to a fast start here but I think Derm sees through it and has his men prepared in a way McVay is not ready for. Their LG being out will hurt them;  not just the rush Goff struggles with but their run game has always been essential to their offense. Left guard was their weak spot last year after losing Roger Saffold. I think the Bills win this one, boys.

The Patriots had the #1 D in the NFL vs 11 personnel.  McVay never got out of it.

And they paid for it 

Since then McVay has gone to a lot of 2 TE sets.  Thus the emergence of Higbee.  And they seem to be determined to run it more.  

I think the key to beating them is keeping 7 up front and make Goff beat us.  Our Secondary can handle their skill guys.  White takes away Woods.  Safeties and LBs take away Higbee (having our LBs back would be nice).  Kupp is going to be a problem.  But make Goff have to throw 40 times.  I think we matchup better vs teams that don't have those Parker/Golladay/Evans type WRs.   

Score 30 and win.  

14 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Because Milano is a better linebacker.  He reads and reacts much faster than Edmunds.  

I do think Milano has a slight edge on Edmunds but both of these guys are great in coverage and can sideline to side line. Both could be better at tackling and helping in run support but in today’s NFL these two are exactly what you want at LB.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The Patriots had the #1 D in the NFL vs 11 personnel.  McVay never got out of it.

And they paid for it 

Since then McVay has gone to a lot of 2 TE sets.  Thus the emergence of Higbee.  And they seem to be determined to run it more.  

I think the key to beating them is keeping 7 up front and make Goff beat us.  Our Secondary can handle their skill guys.  White takes away Woods.  Safeties and LBs take away Higbee (having our LBs back would be nice).  Kupp is going to be a problem.  But make Goff have to throw 40 times.  I think we matchup better vs teams that don't have those Parker/Golladay/Evans type WRs.   

Score 30 and win.  

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

Through 2 weeks they're still in 11 73% of plays, good for 4th(t) in the league. It's good they're mixing in 12 in an effort to protect their 3-wide sets they really want to run. 

Listening to Simms break down their Eagles film, they've added to their runnjng game which used to just be inside/outside zone and jet sweeps, now they're running some toss crack, pulling guards and trap plays mixed in. He says both weeks they've killed their opponent with PA pass that looks like a run because they pull a guard and the OL sells it;  that should be bog standard for McDermott's crew, they practice against Daboll who does that all the time.

Maybe I'm over confident in Sean McDermott but I feel the Rams' changes will ***** up some lesser coordinators but he is going to diagnose it and put his guys in position for a big bounce-back game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

And they paid for it 

Score 30 and win.  

4 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

Through 2 weeks they're still in 11 73% of plays, good for 4th(t) in the league. It's good they're mixing in 12 in an effort to protect their 3-wide sets they really want to run. 

Listening to Simms break down their Eagles film, they've added to their runnjng game which used to just be inside/outside zone and jet sweeps, now they're running some toss crack, pulling guards and trap plays mixed in. He says both weeks they've killed their opponent with PA pass that looks like a run because they pull a guard and the OL sells it;  that should be bog standard for McDermott's crew, they practice against Daboll who does that all the time.

Maybe I'm over confident in Sean McDermott but I feel the Rams' changes will ***** up some lesser coordinators but he is going to diagnose it and put his guys in position for a big bounce-back game.

Excellent stuff here from both of you.

This has to be one of the best football discussion forums on the internet.

For whatever reason, I just don't see either defense limiting either offense too much. I see a shootout, through and through. I think we'll limit the Rams running game and Robert Woods, but I see Higbee and Kupp having big days, and it being enough to put points on the board. If this comes to pass, we just have to hope we have the ball last and see 4th Quarter Josh again. 

It's nice, at least, to finally have an offense that has the ability to hang in shootouts. To not ALWAYS have to depend on our defense is a great step forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

And they paid for it 

I seem to recall a conversation that Bellicheck* knew Goff was getting to the line quickly so McVay could survey the Pats* defense and THEN call in the play. Subsequently, the Pats* would give McVay ONE look, then after the radios were turned off, they'd change their D up, which screwed up Goff because he wasn't very good at reading defenses.

It's also possible I'm remembering that wrong because I drink a lot.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

All in all, pretty good news. Milano again. Oliver. Beasley. Tre. HUghes. Wondering a little about Moss and obviously would like to see the red jersey off Edmunds.

Taron, too, a good sign. He's needed.

If moss can’t go I guess we will see Yeldon, which isn’t the worst thing since his strength is catching passes out of the backfield and that’s one way to try to slow down Aaron Donald with more of a horizontal passing game. Also their LBs struggled with covering Miles sanders  last week even though Wentz couldn’t take advantage 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If moss can’t go I guess we will see Yeldon, which isn’t the worst thing since his strength is catching passes out of the backfield and that’s one way to try to slow down Aaron Donald with more of a horizontal passing game. Also their LBs struggled with covering Miles sanders  last week even though Wentz couldn’t take advantage 

Good point. Maybe we will see Antonio Williams IV!

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Excellent stuff here from both of you.

This has to be one of the best football discussion forums on the internet.

Whenever people link to forums for other teams I never see even close to the quality of posts and threads that I see here.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I seem to recall a conversation that Bellicheck* knew Goff was getting to the line quickly so McVay could survey the Pats* defense and THEN call in the play. Subsequently, the Pats* would give McVay ONE look, then after the radios were turned off, they'd change their D up, which screwed up Goff because he wasn't very good at reading defenses.

It's also possible I'm remembering that wrong because I drink a lot.

You’re remembering correctly. Although I’m not sure what percentage of the plays NE did this in. What I do know is that Hyde and Poyer do this often and with minimal communication...... which bodes well. I’m not so sure that it works really well without Edmunds and Milano in the game though. 

36 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

All in all, pretty good news. Milano again. Oliver. Beasley. Tre. HUghes. Wondering a little about Moss and obviously would like to see the red jersey off Edmunds.

Taron, too, a good sign. He's needed.

Agree on edmunds but if its a shoulder injury I'd prefer he not take any contact too.  Likely sore more than injured.  No point in making worse. 

33 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Agree on edmunds but if its a shoulder injury I'd prefer he not take any contact too.  Likely sore more than injured.  No point in making worse. 

Exactly, no point in taking contact outside of game action until fully healed. Even if he plays this week, I would expect to see him in the red non-contact jersey in practice next week.

Lets just hope the Doc doesn’t puncture his lung when giving him his pain killing injection💉.

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

And they paid for it 

Score 30 and win.  

Higbee is a good player but he isn't the same challenge as Giesicki is...he can just beat you one on one and is a matchup problem.  Higbee is more of a guy who gets open via McVay's schemes...I don't think athletically he will pose the same challenges as last week even if Milano and Edmunds don't play.

Edited by matter2003