Edmunds and Milano both practice all week, expected to be active vs. Rams

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Based off of that I would expect to see Milano this week and not Edmunds. Shoulder injuries need proper rest. Although I think Edumonds is more valuable to this defense I think that having Milano back and pairing him with Dodson on Nickel situations (bring AJ in for 7 man fronts, that should be his only role to run blitz) will improve the passing defense over the middle significantly. 

Edited by billsfan89

16 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Based off of that I would expect to see Milano this week and not Edmunds. Shoulder injuries need proper rest. Although I think Edumonds is more valuable to this defense I think that having Milano back and pairing him with Dodson on Nickel situations (bring AJ in for 7 man fronts, that should be his only role to run blitz) will improve the passing defense over the middle significantly. 

I don't know I mean I think we definitely see Milano if he's going out there full already. Edmunds they might just want to give his shoulder as much time as they can before they see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I think both will play.. no way does Milano want to miss time during a contract year.. And if you’re the Bills, why baby him? He could be gone next year anyways.. Edmunds practiced most of last week.. he should be good to go.. they’ll play it cool but right now it’s clear that they don’t want to show their hand.. if I have to sit through another week of Klein and Dodson I’ll blow my stack..

I agree with most of this except you baby Milano because of what he can do later this year and playoffs. Not saying they will resign him or not, but  he might be the best LB on the team. Edmunds has more upside and is getting there. Edmunds in the red makes me think he is going to play and needs to learn assignments. Docs probably give him a shot before the game for pain, if it’s something he can’t hurt more. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

FWIW, I think we need Milano more than Edmunds. Dodson filled in well for Edmunds though he tired late. The dropoff from Milano to Klein is huge, IMO.

This is spot on.  Dodson made a ton of plays out there in both the run and pass game. I am super excited about him.

Klein was pretty rough out there, especially in coverage.

33 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

FWIW, I think we need Milano more than Edmunds. Dodson filled in well for Edmunds though he tired late. The dropoff from Milano to Klein is huge, IMO.

While Dodson clearly outplayed Klein, and I would want him in the game instead of Klein, too, we got rocked way more over the middle than we did to the sidelines. It wasn't always or even often Dodson's fault. But Tre's length and coverage ability covers up that problem a lot more than Milano on the outside does. I think we need Tre back quicker.

26 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know I mean I think we definitely see Milano if he's going out there full already. Edmunds they might just want to give his shoulder as much time as they can before they see how it goes.

Shoulder injuries are hard to deal with if you are taking a lot of contact like a LB. I would rather sit Edumonds for one more week to fully rest up that shoulder and risk losing a game than risk losing him for the season. 

48 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

In the last two seasons, the D played worse without Milano than they did without Edmunds.

26 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree with most of this except you baby Milano because of what he can do later this year and playoffs. Not saying they will resign him or not, but  he might be the best LB on the team. Edmunds has more upside and is getting there. Edmunds in the red makes me think he is going to play and needs to learn assignments. Docs probably give him a shot before the game for pain, if it’s something he can’t hurt more. 

Hopefully he doesn't get "Tyrod'd" with the injection!

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

While Dodson clearly outplayed Klein, and I would want him in the game instead of Klein, too, we got rocked way more over the middle than we did to the sidelines. It wasn't always or even often Dodson's fault. But Tre's length and coverage ability covers up that problem a lot more than Milano on the outside does. I think we need Tre back quicker.

Joe Buscaglia had some interesting comments about Dodson and his impact on Levi Wallace:

https://theathletic.com/2087422/2020/09/23/bills-all-22-review-how-they-set-the-stage-for-josh-allens-best-passing-game/

"Dodson made a few flashy plays, such as his near interception of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He also had some strong plays against the run when firing through the line of scrimmage. His hiccups weren’t as evident on the television broadcast, but they were a big reason why Miami moved the ball so well in the second half. Dodson was playing too fast and was too reactionary, and the Dolphins took advantage.

Seeing how quickly Dodson was getting downhill and attacking the run, Miami used play-action to bait Dodson forward from his spot in zone coverage. They then had a receiver fill the vacated space over the middle and Fitzpatrick would fire it in for a completion. The Dolphins were 8-of-8 for 104 yards and a touchdown on play-action passes over the top of Dodson."

In other words, putting this together with Mark Gaughan's review of Levi Wallace in TBN: we know that Levi Wallace (probably by coaching) plays deep and gave up a bunch of underneath completions.  Joe implies that Dodson played into this by getting baited forward by play-action, and leaving a huge hole between him and Wallace that Fitz could exploit.

Getting either Edmunds or Milano back would be huge, not just to the linebacker play but to help Wallace.

Aside: I can't begin to describe how refreshing it is to quote authors from two different sports publications whose analysis of the Bills seems to me on-point and meaningful.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Joe Buscaglia had some interesting comments about Dodson and his impact on Levi Wallace:

https://theathletic.com/2087422/2020/09/23/bills-all-22-review-how-they-set-the-stage-for-josh-allens-best-passing-game/

"Dodson made a few flashy plays, such as his near interception of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He also had some strong plays against the run when firing through the line of scrimmage. His hiccups weren’t as evident on the television broadcast, but they were a big reason why Miami moved the ball so well in the second half. Dodson was playing too fast and was too reactionary, and the Dolphins took advantage.

Seeing how quickly Dodson was getting downhill and attacking the run, Miami used play-action to bait Dodson forward from his spot in zone coverage. They then had a receiver fill the vacated space over the middle and Fitzpatrick would fire it in for a completion. The Dolphins were 8-of-8 for 104 yards and a touchdown on play-action passes over the top of Dodson."

In other words, putting this together with Mark Gaughan's review of Levi Wallace in TBN: we know that Levi Wallace (probably by coaching) plays deep and gave up a bunch of underneath completions.  Joe implies that Dodson played into this by getting baited forward by play-action, and leaving a huge hole between him and Wallace that Fitz could exploit.

Getting either Edmunds or Milano back would be huge, not just to the linebacker play but to help Wallace.

Aside: I can't begin to describe how refreshing it is to quote authors from two different sports publications whose analysis of the Bills seems to me on-point and meaningful.

The game within the game.  This is a pretty interesting take.  Impossible to really see in a televised view that exclusively tracks the ball and moves so fast.  Goes to show you how important it is for all 11 guys to do their job right.

51 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I wonder if because of all the injuries this season so far and the changes in how teams do business that they (or we) are being overly cautious now. 

They may be more cautious, this also shows the importance of training camp and the preseason scrimmage games, it helps the injury rates to bring the guys up to speed in a more controlled process. 

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

Last year they were extra careful with hamstrings, I don't see Milano playing this week.

This isn't a knitting class, sign the waiver get the pain shot and play football. Just don't let the Chargers team Dr administer the shot. 

Fixxxer is one of my favorite songs. 

• Like (+1) 2