Do the Bills look to sign Josh to a Long term contract this year?

buffalosean

30 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Nobody is team first when there is $30-$40m on the line.  At least I wouldn't be   😀

It’s not that simple. It’s not $40 million vs nothing. While some players and their agents definitely chase the big payday it can also ruin their comparatively short careers. If you get stuck in a rebuilding merry go round, what’s the point? Just ask Matthew Stafford. He’s gone nowhere in Detroit. I’m sure he’d trade most of his paycheck for a crack at a contender.

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s not that simple. It’s not $40 million vs nothing. While some players and their agents definitely chase the big payday it can also ruin their comparatively short careers. If you get stuck in a rebuilding merry go round, what’s the point? Just ask Matthew Stafford. He’s gone nowhere in Detroit. I’m sure he’d trade most of his paycheck for a crack at a contender.

If the Lions ever gave Stafford a RB which the rest of the league finds without any issue, he might have actually won a playoff game or two

6 minutes ago, doubledd67 said:

Ok before we start talking contract extension let Josh Allen finish the season and win a playoff game or 2 playoff games before we start talking contract extension.  GO Buffalo Bils

THIS^^^^^^ Can we just enjoy the great run we're on this season, before we start talking about gutting the franchise to pay for Josh's next contract?

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

He is a team first guy, don't rush it. They will use the 5th year option and then extend. 

Being a team first guy in the nfl is really stupid.  Like really stupid.  Like if his play falls off or he gets hurt, what does being a team first guy get you?  It’s a business, not high school sports.

I mean obviously if he continues at close to this level, he will get paid a ton.  But it’s a long season and as others have said, these qb deals severely hurt your roster building.  So play out the season and go from there.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Being a team first guy in the nfl is really stupid.  Like really stupid.  Like if his play falls off or he gets hurt, what does being a team first guy get you?  It’s a business, not high school sports.

I mean obviously if he continues at close to this level, he will get paid a ton.  But it’s a long season and as others have said, these qb deals severely hurt your roster building.  So play out the season and go from there.

I think after the deal that Ramsey signed a day after Tre, that Tre took a team-first deal. Is he stupid? Or is he still set for life and gave his team some flexibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

Following the trend around the NFL, most QBs seem to be signing their extensions prior to their 4th season.

Which means sometime next spring, assuming Allen continues playing like our franchise guy.

The most notable exception is Dak Prescott, who is currently playing on the tag and causing all kinds of headaches for the Cowboys front office.  

1 hour ago, eball said:

No contract extension discussions will take place until after the 2020 season at the earliest, IMO.

More importantly, I fully believe Josh is the type of player who will not insist upon a “highest paid” deal and will do what is necessary to allow the Bills to continue to keep a good team around him, similar to how Mahomes took less than he could have.

We are so freaking lucky to have gotten the type of player and human being Josh is.  Team first all the way.

Question is:  Does his agent think the same way?

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Sign Tre thread  --- Tre White's contract is on the books in Spotrac.

With that recorded 

2021 Estimated cap space 

2.2 million

2022 Estimated cap space 

$94,390,310

If they can they will wait until 2022 for the Bug bucks

Keep in mind that in 2022, having $94 mill available means we are 19th ranked in the league in available cap. Expect salary inflation. 

The frickin' Colts have $224 mill estimated available cap space. And though they're #1, there are two other teams above $200 mill.

If there's any way to get it done early (using guaranteed roster bonuses in 2022, for example, instead of a signing bonus) they should try. There may not be any way. Josh would have to be very accommodating in method of payment, even if not in actual $$$.

2 hours ago, buffalosean said:

So far so great.  The next four games are tough and we will see where Josh is at this point in 2020.  Does Beane look to sign Josh to a longer contract now or do we wait?  Just asking your opinion.  If he keeps growing and producing do we extend him sooner rather than later?  Extend him this year after a good season?  Wait till the option year?  If he is the future franchise QB maybe we should lock him up and give him our full trust.  I know its early but maybe we can get a good contract for the team by reacting quickly and not at the end of the current deal.  Just throwing it out there.  Trust in Beane?

NFL prohibits extensions prior to the end of a players 3rd season. So they can't do it now. 

If he continues to have a great year my belief is that they'll extend him after this season, similar to Deshaun Watson. 

58 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Tom Brady always was "underpaid" in New England to not crush the salary cap. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

:D Please 

His TB12 "health center"  where most of the players went made up for the "lost" cash

33 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Keep in mind that in 2022, having $94 mill available means we are 19th ranked in the league in available cap. Expect salary inflation. 

The frickin' Colts have $224 mill estimated available cap space. And though they're #1, there are two other teams above $200 mill.

If there's any way to get it done early (using guaranteed roster bonuses in 2022, for example, instead of a signing bonus) they should try. There may not be any way. Josh would have to be very accommodating in method of payment, even if not in actual $$$.

And how many players do they need to sign?   20, 30, more?

I think after the deal that Ramsey signed a day after Tre, that Tre took a team-first deal. Is he stupid? Or is he still set for life and gave his team some flexibility. 

I would bet Tre has some regrets about that contract. Both Tre and Josh seem like great dudes.  But why would accept significantly less money than you are able to get?  

the nfl is a dirty business with non guaranteed.  The second both slip, fans will turn on them.  Look at Saquon.  Blows out his knee before his first big payday.  Given his position, he might be severely challenged in getting a big deal now.  Football players should get every penny they can, especially when they have leverage.  There is no loyalty from teams, so why should players have it?

• Like (+1) 1

Tom Brady always was "underpaid" in New England to not crush the salary cap. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

His wife is a billionaire. I also won’t doubt there isn’t some shady deals under the table.

and don’t get me wrong.  I hope you are right.  But if I was Allen’s agent or family, I think he would be a fool to settle for less money if he proves to be a franchise type qb.

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think you wait.. sure you could lock him up for pennies now but that wouldn’t be fair to Allen.. Right now I could see him getting $30M a year.. in a year or two if he continues on he’ll get $40M-$45M a year.. I think you wait a year and then you extend him.. pay him what he’s worth.. it’s the right thing to do..

Thing is....josh has a choice in the matter.  He may not want to sign now, for 30 millions.  It’s his choice. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If the Lions ever gave Stafford a RB which the rest of the league finds without any issue, he might have actually won a playoff game or two

You think they haven’t won because they haven’t given Stanford a good enough rb?  😭🤣😭

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Look at how being a team first guy ruined Brady’s career.