Do the Bills look to sign Josh to a Long term contract this year?

buffalosean

So far so great.  The next four games are tough and we will see where Josh is at this point in 2020.  Does Beane look to sign Josh to a longer contract now or do we wait?  Just asking your opinion.  If he keeps growing and producing do we extend him sooner rather than later?  Extend him this year after a good season?  Wait till the option year?  If he is the future franchise QB maybe we should lock him up and give him our full trust.  I know its early but maybe we can get a good contract for the team by reacting quickly and not at the end of the current deal.  Just throwing it out there.  Trust in Beane?

Current Contract

Josh Allen signed a 4 year, $21,183,038 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $13,485,846 signing bonus, $21,183,038 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,295,760. In 2020, Allen will earn a base salary of $750,000 and a roster bonus of $1,745,730, while carrying a cap hit of $5,867,191 and a dead cap value of $12,517,249.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $21,183,038 SIGNING BONUS$13,485,846 AVERAGE SALARY$5,295,760 GTD AT SIGN:$21,183,038 TOTAL GTD:$21,183,038 FREE AGENT:2023 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 22 $480,000 $3,371,461 - $3,851,461 $21,183,038 $13,965,846($13,965,846)  
2019 Contract details by year 23 $570,000 $3,371,461 $872,865 $4,814,326 $17,331,575 $1,494,715($15,460,561)  
2020 Contract details by year 24 $750,000 $3,371,461 $1,745,730 $5,867,191 $12,517,249 $2,495,730($17,956,291)  
2021 Contract details by year 25 $920,000 $3,371,461 $2,618,596 $6,910,057 $6,740,057 $3,538,596($21,494,887)  
2022 Contract details by year 26 - - - - - -  
2023 Free Agent Year 27 UFA  

image.png

Edited by buffalosean
Title change
  • Haha (+1) 1

WAIT! We have done this before with a QB that played well in the first couple games, it did not end well. We have the 5th year option so Josh isnt going anywhere. Let him play this year and then we can excercise the option and negotiate in the meanwhile.

WAIT.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If he keeps playing at this level then yes, without question. And before someone replies seeing "you keep setting unreasonable expectations!" I don't mean he has to keep up the pace numbers wise. I mean if his performance levels stay close to what they have been as a passer through 2 weeks it is a no brainer. Even if there is at some point a natural levelling out numbers wise.

EDIT: they will pick up the option but the question is do they then extend before year 4. The trend - Wentz, Goff, Mahomes, Watson... is that you do. If Josh keeps playing at a high level the Bills will extend him.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have no idea but it seems that trend now is to sign all good QBs after year 3, so I guess Beane will try to do the same, provided that Allen plays on high level whole season and resigning him becomes no-brainer. If not, then it becomes interesting. Hopefully there will be no doubts that he is FQB.

3 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

He is a team first guy, don't rush it. They will use the 5th year option and then extend. 

Definitely he is.  Just thought maybe we could save future Millions for the team by doing it early so he does not have any second thoughts.  Agents do not care about loyalty.

No contract extension discussions will take place until after the 2020 season at the earliest, IMO.

More importantly, I fully believe Josh is the type of player who will not insist upon a “highest paid” deal and will do what is necessary to allow the Bills to continue to keep a good team around him, similar to how Mahomes took less than he could have.

We are so freaking lucky to have gotten the type of player and human being Josh is.  Team first all the way.

• Like (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, buffalosean said:

So far so great.  The next four games are tough and we will see where Josh is at this point in 2020.  Does Beane look to sign Josh to a longer contract now or do we wait?  Just asking your opinion.  If he keeps growing and producing do we extend him sooner rather than later?  Extend him this year after a good season?  Wait till the option year?  If he is the future franchise QB maybe we should lock him up and give him our full trust.  I know its early but maybe we can get a good contract for the team by reacting quickly and not at the end of the current deal.  Just throwing it out there.  Trust in Beane?

You were right there on Spotrac.  

There IS no cap space in 2020 or 2021!!!  Search Cap Space and you will see the conversations on the topic.

Josh won't be able to get BIG $$$$  until 2022

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Sign Tre thread  --- Tre White's contract is on the books in Spotrac.

With that recorded 

2021 Estimated cap space 

2.2 million

2022 Estimated cap space 

$94,390,310

If they can they will wait until 2022 for the Bug bucks

Makes a ton of sense.  Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

I think you wait.. sure you could lock him up for pennies now but that wouldn’t be fair to Allen.. Right now I could see him getting $30M a year.. in a year or two if he continues on he’ll get $40M-$45M a year.. I think you wait a year and then you extend him.. pay him what he’s worth.. it’s the right thing to do..

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, eball said:

No contract extension discussions will take place until after the 2020 season at the earliest, IMO.

More importantly, I fully believe Josh is the type of player who will not insist upon a “highest paid” deal and will do what is necessary to allow the Bills to continue to keep a good team around him, similar to how Mahomes took less than he could have.

We are so freaking lucky to have gotten the type of player and human being Josh is.  Team first all the way.

No extension discussions CAN take place until after the 2020 season.

As for where Josh goes..... if he is playing at the level of the first two weeks he slots in right above Watson and behind Mahomes IMO. If he drops a bit off this pace but is still pretty darn good then right around the Watson number. It is going to get tied up with Lamar as well... who signs first and where in that range between Deshaun at Pat does that first chip fall.

EDIT: In a strange way I wonder if Mahomes's deal is actually the one that finally slows the inflation on QB salaries. He is locked in for a long time.... and he is so obviously in a class pretty much of his own (he and Russ) that it makes it harder for the Allen, Jackson, Murray, Burrow type guys coming down the track to demand more than Patrick Mahomes. The % of cap spent on QBs has been rising (not as fast as some of the freak out reactions suggest, but moderately climbing) for the past decade. If the cap recovers from Covid and Mahomes's deal dampens the inflation a little bit then we might see that number gradually go the other way.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

In theory, This is the year to do it, before prices go up.  That said, with Maholmes already signed, I don’t think it matters anymore, that’s the top of the market.  I would wait until after the season and make a judgment.

While I understand not jumping the gun, there's also a case to be made for this argument. It seems like waiting another year will just drive up the price.

Thankfully, we have a freaking wizard for a GM.

Don't know if they have the cap space to do it, but I agree that the trend seems to be to re-sign before the fourth year.  The problem with after the fourth year is then they start smelling the free agent money...and even the franchise money for QBs and corners is so good, that they seem to be willing to hold out for huge money....a la Cousins and Prescott.