The Draft Network breakdown of Josh Allen deep ball in 2020

CorkScrewHill

The throw that absolutely epitomizes his growth is the long throw down the right sideline to Diggs. Last video of the bunch. His pre-snap read is Man with a Safety over top. He snaps the ball, looks immediately to the left like he's going through a couple of reads, snaps back to the right, and fires a ball out for Diggs as soon as the Safety slides towards the middle of the field. He is not only reading the defense, but he is manipulating defenders with his eyes now. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, H2o said:

The throw that absolutely epitomizes his growth is the long throw down the right sideline to Diggs. Last video of the bunch  His pre-snap read is Man with a Safety over top. He snaps the ball, looks immediately to the left like he going through a couple of reads, snaps back to the right, and fires a ball out for Diggs as soon as the Safety slides towards the middle of the field. He is not only reading the defense, but he is manipulating defenders with his eyes now. 

Another thing worth mentioning is that there was pressure coming at him right at his legs and he was able to get that deep ball off while lifting his plant foot off the ground - avoiding what could have *possibly* been a nasty injury. That is ridiculously impressive arm strength!

EieIaHkUYAEOLyZ?format=png&name=small

Thank you for the link, OP! I love soaking up as much as I can when it comes to all-22 breakdowns. I will gladly label this as a "we really needed this other Josh Allen thread" thread 😊

Edited by JimKellyTryouts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Thanks for post - always fun to see replays of long completed throws 

Never heard of this guy - he does a decent job here but the original tweet was a real dick move - and his "explanation" was almost worse

Okay, first of all, stat lines don’t always tell the whole story—you all know this. And second, I wasn’t watching the game! I was watching RedZone on my computer, and that throw was one they showed, which I clipped and tweeted. I didn’t purposefully sift through all of Allen’s good throws just to point out the bad one. It was not my intent to take a good day and just find the worst throw of the bunch (of which every quarterback not named Russell Wilson has every week) just to spite Allen.

"Don't yell at me for tweeting trash as a football "expert" - I didn't even watch the game or player I was snarkily slagging! "    What a doosh

Edited by stevewin

1 hour ago, H2o said:

The throw that absolutely epitomizes his growth is the long throw down the right sideline to Diggs. Last video of the bunch. His pre-snap read is Man with a Safety over top. He snaps the ball, looks immediately to the left like he's going through a couple of reads, snaps back to the right, and fires a ball out for Diggs as soon as the Safety slides towards the middle of the field. He is not only reading the defense, but he is manipulating defenders with his eyes now. 

Honestly - while I like this throw - there have been so many "growth" throws over the first two weeks it's almost ridiculous. I'm sure playing the Jets and Phins has helped, but man.... just a clear improvement, even if you want to say it's purely conceptual. The Zack Moss TD throw (read #6?), the touch pass to Knox against the Jets, the Beasley 2 and 24 pass, the pass to Diggs when we were back up (watch the goal line view - the broadcast footage does not do that throw justice), and that Davis TD pass (literally only person who was going to touch the ball and only if he laid out for it).

Really impressive start to the year - but like a broken record i'll say it again - it's all about improvement, even if it's just baby steps. Allen was a project and they have done a really good job of coaching him up. His throws/processing look nothing like his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Thanks for post - always fun to see replays of long completed throws 

Never heard of this guy - he does a decent job here but the original tweet was a real dick move - and his "explanation" was almost worse

"Don't yell at me for tweeting trash as a football "expert" - I didn't even watch the game or player I was snarkily slagging! "    What a doosh

To do him justice, he pretty much acknowledged that and decided to put it right.

• Like (+1) 2

I appreciate him including the pass John Brown dropped on the free play. No one has talked about it but it was another perfectly accurate deep throw.

The biggest change is his trajectory. Last year it felt like his deep throws were all arm. This year he's dropping them in the bucket.

Also last year we couldnt beat man coverage. Just by adding Diggs we are now set up as well as any offense to beat it. That's just as important as Allen's development.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/josh-allen-deep-ball-analysis-2020-bills

I found it interesting .. if you do great .. if not just skip and spare me the "did we really need another Josh Allen thread" comment.

Hey! 

WE decide what we skip and who gets spared around here, rookie!😡

Anyway, good find.👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

CBS's take

How good is Josh Allen? Breaking down the Bills quarterback after impressive 2-0 start

Ahh yes, the deep ball -- Allen's Achilles heel in 2019. According to TruMedia, Allen was deemed accurate on right around 31% of his passes thrown 20-plus yards down the field last season, one of the worst figures in the league among qualifying quarterbacks.

It was seen by detractors as the facet of his game that would hinder his maturation and thereby limit how good the Bills could be. 

In his first two games of 2020, Allen has been accurate on 77.8% of those long throws (seven of nine [20-plus yards down the field]). And his improved ball placement at the first two levels of the field hasn't subsided.

Allen's been on target on 80.5% of throws shorter than 20 yards.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-good-is-josh-allen-breaking-down-the-bills-quarterback-after-impressive-2-0-start/

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Honestly - while I like this throw - there have been so many "growth" throws over the first two weeks it's almost ridiculous. I'm sure playing the Jets and Phins has helped, but man.... just a clear improvement, even if you want to say it's purely conceptual. The Zack Moss TD throw (read #6?), the touch pass to Knox against the Jets, the Beasley 2 and 24 pass, the pass to Diggs when we were back up (watch the goal line view - the broadcast footage does not do that throw justice), and that Davis TD pass (literally only person who was going to touch the ball and only if he laid out for it).

Really impressive start to the year - but like a broken record i'll say it again - it's all about improvement, even if it's just baby steps. Allen was a project and they have done a really good job of coaching him up. His throws/processing look nothing like his rookie year.

What really matters to me is yes it was the Jets and the Dolphins, but the Jets have typically run a bunch of zone coverages with pressure packages and Josh read that and beat it.  The Dolphins on the other hand run Man coverage with and including some 0 coverage blitzes that have given Josh issues in the past.

He read both styles of D and found the open guys - that bodes well for the future as we see him beating all types of coverages.  Now neither team is overall elite, but the Dolphins spent big on DBs and had perhaps 2 of the top 5 CBs and a 1st round pick (so no slouches), but Josh beat them all over the field.

If Josh can get a read on the defense and beat the coverages that hurt him last year (all out man blitzes - zone/man combos) he will be tough to beat.  

The addition of guys that go and get the ball is also so evident.  There have been probably 10 passes that in years passed get dropped and now guys are making plays.  Several throws to Diggs that are sweet throws where he goes an gets the ball - in years passes those are incomplete because the DBs would out physical the WRs.  The TD throws to Davis, Moss, and Gilliam - all thrown to places to allow the receiver to make the only play on the ball - those are not catches in other years.  They were all good throws with placement to keep the player away from the defense, but if they are all dropped - the issue is why didn’t the ball go right to the bread box or something to that effect.  

The fact is Josh has improved leaps and bounds and his receiving talent has improved and together they make the offense fun to watch.

10 hours ago, H2o said:

Bravo Zulu- 100 percent correct. This is what we need to keep seeing.

50 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

What really matters to me is yes it was the Jets and the Dolphins, but the Jets have typically run a bunch of zone coverages with pressure packages and Josh read that and beat it.  The Dolphins on the other hand run Man coverage with and including some 0 coverage blitzes that have given Josh issues in the past.

He read both styles of D and found the open guys - that bodes well for the future as we see him beating all types of coverages.  Now neither team is overall elite, but the Dolphins spent big on DBs and had perhaps 2 of the top 5 CBs and a 1st round pick (so no slouches), but Josh beat them all over the field.

If Josh can get a read on the defense and beat the coverages that hurt him last year (all out man blitzes - zone/man combos) he will be tough to beat.  

The addition of guys that go and get the ball is also so evident.  There have been probably 10 passes that in years passed get dropped and now guys are making plays.  Several throws to Diggs that are sweet throws where he goes an gets the ball - in years passes those are incomplete because the DBs would out physical the WRs.  The TD throws to Davis, Moss, and Gilliam - all thrown to places to allow the receiver to make the only play on the ball - those are not catches in other years.  They were all good throws with placement to keep the player away from the defense, but if they are all dropped - the issue is why didn’t the ball go right to the bread box or something to that effect.  

The fact is Josh has improved leaps and bounds and his receiving talent has improved and together they make the offense fun to watch.

Actually the ONLY look that gave Allen trouble against the Phins was Cover 0 and I was surprised they didn’t use it more.  Not sure he really solved it last week and he still has some work to do there (going back to last season).  I expect we’ll see a lot more Cover 0 the next few weeks.

10 hours ago, H2o said:

This.

Allen is showing he can and is developing into who Beane knew he could be when Beane picked him. In year 3 with the same system and added talent at the skill positions Allen is becoming his best self as a QB. Allen has put in a ton of work and is seeing it payoff, that will only provide motivation for this young man to keep pushing. There is nothing Allen can’t do because he will work to overcome whatever challenges face him. 

Really nice write up, and so glad to see someone finally acknowledge the biased analysis Josh receives as opposed to other QBs.  That is what has been so frustrating, even as Josh played inconsistently over his first two seasons.  Confirmation bias is real, and I’m glad it is being exposed.  A number of posters on this forum would show signs of maturity and growth by recognizing it as well.

20 minutes ago, eball said:

Really nice write up, and so glad to see someone finally acknowledge the biased analysis Josh receives as opposed to other QBs.  That is what has been so frustrating, even as Josh played inconsistently over his first two seasons.  Confirmation bias is real, and I’m glad it is being exposed.  A number of posters on this forum would show signs of maturity and growth by recognizing it as well.

Who are these demons you battle, eball?  Name them!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Actually the ONLY look that gave Allen trouble against the Phins was Cover 0 and I was surprised they didn’t use it more.  Not sure he really solved it last week and he still has some work to do there (going back to last season).  I expect we’ll see a lot more Cover 0 the next few weeks.

I will wait for the All-22, but just watching his NFL player of the week highlights - several of the big throws came against what appeared to be Cover 0 with tight man.  I think the difference between this year and last year is the formation.  

Last year they ran a lot of 21 and 12 personnel because they only had 2 legitimate WRs.  So when teams played Cover 0 - they did not have the athletes to win - so many throws were long throws that were overthrown.

Against Miami - they ran cover 0 and had everyone at the line of scrimmage and brought pressure, but the Bills spent a bunch of time in 10 personnel with 4 WRs and suddenly you had crossing routes to Diggs and Beasley open and he was completing the passes. 

It sure looked to me like he beat Cover 0 against the Dolphins a lot more than he struggled - even in the Red Zone for TDs.  I know the Dolphins pass rush is not great, but they have what was supposed to be some of the top cover CBs in the NFL and that was going to be their strength.  Allen even beat what looked to be Cover 0 by spreading the field and running a delayed draw for a first down.  It wasn’t perfect, but it has to give some pause to teams that watched the Pats and Ravens destroy us with that.  

It appears the Bills are going to counter with 4 WRs and challenge the defense to cover 4 guys right from the snap and not many teams have the CB horses to match that - especially if Diggs beats his man right off the line.

Edited by Rochesterfan

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will wait for the All-22, but just watching his NFL player of the week highlights - several of the big throws came against what appeared to be Cover 0 with tight man.  I think the difference between this year and last year is the formation.  

Last year they ran a lot of 21 and 12 personnel because they only had 2 legitimate WRs.  So when teams played Cover 0 - they did not have the athletes to win - so many throws were long throws that were overthrown.

Against Miami - they ran cover 0 and had everyone at the line of scrimmage and brought pressure, but the Bills spent a bunch of time in 10 personnel with 4 WRs and suddenly you had crossing routes to Diggs and Beasley open and he was completing the passes. 

It sure looked to me like he beat Cover 0 against the Dolphins a lot more than he struggled - even in the Red Zone for TDs.  I know the Dolphins pass rush is not great, but they have what was supposed to be some of the top cover CBs in the NFL and that was going to be their strength.  Allen even beat what looked to be Cover 0 by spreading the field and running a delayed draw for a first down.  It wasn’t perfect, but it has to give some pause to teams that watched the Pats and Ravens destroy us with that.  

It appears the Bills are going to counter with 4 WRs and challenge the defense to cover 4 guys right from the snap and not many teams have the CB horses to match that - especially if Diggs beats his man right off the line.

Interesting if you're right.  That would be a big jump for him - that was the defense he had the most trouble with last year.

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Interesting if you're right.  That would be a big jump for him - that was the defense he had the most trouble with last year.

The throw to Diggs was definitely Cover 0, but it is hard on a few of the others - the run they had a deep safety that was so deep on that view you couldn’t see him until Allen slides.  

I really need to have time to watch the All-22 - it did appear they were running with a deep safety most of the game and were still getting beat over the top.  So we will need to see how many times they ran a true cover 0, but at least once on the big Diggs completion to the sideline was a classic.

• Like (+1) 1