Epenesa played 17 snaps ..

CorkScrewHill

I actually didn't like the pick of Epenesa. But even I have to defend him here. He's a young man. A rookie who didn't get a real training camp or preseason to get a feel for the NFL. And I happen to think the Bills d-line pantry is pretty well stocked at the moment. So he has to outplay those guys to move ahead on the depth chart.

Give him time. And by time, I mean at least a year. I hope this young man proves me wrong with success on the field.

Oh please,

He was a second round pick. He is not Ed Oliver. He was the BPA on McBeanes board and I'm good with that. I trust them and their damn process you know?

I think the guy will be a long term player for us and if you can think back to draft day most people were thrilled with the pick as far as experts and schlubs like me or you.

The comparison to Phil Hansen has me excited about the long term with this guy and I will stay on that path unless he's a dope next year and I don't believe for a moment that is the case with him. He's a hard worker and will be fine all while going through the process. I believe he is tough and smart and will benefit with time. 

FFS BPA on the board at that pick. I'm good and appreciate that we could honestly say that and then actually do that. Credit to McBeane for putting us in this position! It's cool to know that when one of the rentals leaves or Jerry slows or whatever, we will have a well trained process guy ready to step up. 

Oh, and his dad is already jumping through tables so get outta here with any negatives on this dude.

Thank You

Edited by beerme1
  • Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

He’s a tad undersized .

The EFF he is. 

6'6" 280 lbs.

Google immediately showed me some questionable site called operations.nfl.com that list the average NFL DE at 6'4" 283 lbs back in 2013. Which, to be fair...

giphy.gif

...sounds more like an average of 3-4 DEs (5-technique) AND 4-3 DEs (techniques typically outside of the 5-gap, and therefore less likely to reward size over speed). And even so Epenesa is in no way undersized. So for a 4-3 DE (who we imagine, ideally, some day, would also slide inside on passing downs) he's actually big. 

Do better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billzfan37 said:

Still should have gone cornerback with that pick.  Had to be someone available at that pick better than Levi Wallace

In retrospect, talented depth (or better yet, someone to push Wallace for playing time) behind our boundary corners sounds very appealing right about meow.

giphy.gif

So this begs the question: was there a solid CB prospect available at the Bills' 2nd round pick? (I honestly have no idea.)

26 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The EFF he is. 

6'6" 280 lbs.

Google immediately showed me some questionable site called operations.nfl.com that list the average NFL DE at 6'4" 283 lbs back in 2013. Which, to be fair...

giphy.gif

...sounds more like an average of 3-4 DEs (5-technique) AND 4-3 DEs (techniques typically outside of the 5-gap, and therefore less likely to reward size over speed). And even so Epenesa is in no way undersized. So for a 4-3 DE (who we imagine, ideally, some day, would also slide inside on passing downs) he's actually big. 

Do better.

Sorry Einstein. Based on his speed I thought he was better suited for dt. 

8 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Literally didn’t notice him. 

Who cares? If he’s not contributing next year I’ll gladly agree to make him the whipping boy. 

Absolutely, he’s the clubhouse leader in our 2021 Whipping Boy Pool.

• Haha (+1) 2

Recalling the "Ed Oliver is a bust" threads from last season.  Also, I think there were some "Tremaine Edmunds looks slow and will never be a....." threads the year before.  I can't recall specifically, but there may have even been some negative opinions on Josh Allen along the way as well....

Edited by cage

7 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I actually didn't like the pick of Epenesa. But even I have to defend him here. He's a young man. A rookie who didn't get a real training camp or preseason to get a feel for the NFL. And I happen to think the Bills d-line pantry is pretty well stocked at the moment. So he has to outplay those guys to move ahead on the depth chart.

Give him time. And by time, I mean at least a year. I hope this young man proves me wrong with success on the field.

Maybe the Bills should just start trading away their future second picks,  over the years this has not be a good round other than  the great Thurman Thomas.  Epenesa will have a tough time because all scouts were concerned with his lack of any athletic ability for playing the edge and only doing 17 reps on the bench at combine with 5.1 forty yard dash. 

I am still trying to get over the Ford pick from last season when WR Metcalf was there.  The amount of times we see Ford getting benched is concerning and then you see Metcalf looking like a stud WR,  i hope Ford gets it together soon.  As for Epenesa,  we shall see but i read so many scouting reports that his lack of speed or burst could be a problem at the NFL level.  Another high motor guy and high motor players don't always work out.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

He was considered the 2nd best DE in the draft after Chase Young.  I don't think he got to that level of standards without being good.

Except he’s not in college anymore.

I think it’s reasonable to look at the situation and conclude he needs to work on his explosive output. 5.04 40’s and 17 reps is below average for a starting NFL DE. 

Didn’t say he wasn’t good, I gave my opinion as to why our 2nd Round pick hasn’t seen much of the field. 

13 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He has talented veterans ahead of him.  He will get his time.  Luckily the Bills have built the roster well enough where draft picks dont need to be starters "off the bus" anymore.

Our D line was not good this past Sunday. Oliver was manhandled most of the day and sacks came via coverage sacks or a blitz. 

12 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I saw him out there once or twice. Honestly, I wouldn't expect a whole lot from him this season. Without a regular off-season and pre-season games to get used to the speed of the game at the NFL level I think it's tough to expect him to come right out and tear it up. He's also seen as a bit of a project, needs refinement in some areas. But the word on him coming out of college was that he doesn't do any one thing spectacularly, but he does all things well. A quote from an AFC exec or scout said something like, "Give him a year or two and we'll all be saying, dang, we over thought it with him."

Sure hope it isn't the Bills who say this in a negative way.  Not saying by any stretch he should be lighting it up right now but juts hoping this pick didn't go to waste.  I have trust in the process!!!

49 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Our D line was not good this past Sunday. Oliver was manhandled most of the day and sacks came via coverage sacks or a blitz. 

Your comment forced me to rewatch and focus on Oliver.  He was 'manhandled' 1x and that was a borderline hold/Greco Roman wrestling move.

Was double teamed quite a bit and still had a real solid game. 

He was the only DL that consistently got his hands up.  Knocked down one and just missed a couple more, not to mention a couple of hits on Fitz, a sack plus other tackles.

Was our best DL in that game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cage said:

Recalling the "Ed Oliver is a bust" threads from last season.  Also, I think there were some "Tremaine Edmunds looks slow and will never be a....." threads the year before.  I can't recall specifically, but there may have even been some negative opinions on Josh Allen along the way as well....

Everyone wants their hot take to be the first.

• Haha (+1) 1