Not expecting to see Edmunds or Milano this week

Rubes

Our defense was clearly weakened by the losses of Edmunds and Milano. Those two are essential and we don't have backups that can do what they do. We had no answer to Fitz (Fitz!) and the Dolphins attack, although at least part of that was probably due to heat and exhaustion. Nevertheless, we need those two back badly.

Not this week, though. I don't expect to see either of them on the field against the Rams. It's possible Edmunds dresses, but I don't expect to see him play unless needed. Why?

- Non-conference game, doesn't mean much (despite old prior threads)

- Still in first place even if we lose

- Still undefeated in the division and conference even if we lose

- Brutal stretch of 5 consecutive AFC games coming up after (Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Jets, Patriots)

- Need them as healthy as possible for those five games, the AFC is at stake

Unless they're both near 100%, give them time to rest and heal up. We're gonna need them much more in a couple of weeks.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 4

Just now, arcane said:

This is a useless opinion simply because you have no idea what is even specifically wrong with each player, other than the body part the injury entails, much less how close they are to being healthy.

Awesome take, thanks.

I know one has a shoulder injury that can impact tackling, and the other has a hamstring injury which tends to linger if it doesn't heal fully. So yeah, you do you.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HOUSE said:

In Salt Lake City, Milano & Edmunds are not playing, in Buffalo they are...

Fair point! We'll see. As I said, maybe they'll be healthy enough to play. I hope so...

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I actually think they could have played last week and were held out because it was the Dolphins, so I expect to see one or both of them this week.

Why hold them out because it's the Dolphins, but not the Rams? Dolphins game is far more important (divisional game and AFC game).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Why hold them out because it's the Dolphins, but not the Rams? Dolphins game is far more important (divisional game and AFC game).

McDermott would never say it, but they probably felt they could beat Miami without them, so erred on the side of caution.  I could be totally wrong, of course...

I'd be surprised if Milano plays this week. He wasn't even out there when they practiced at all last week. Edmunds did have a couple of days doing individuals and then they decided it wasn't right and sat him down again at the end of the week. I'd expect the same pattern, ie. Edmunds in a red non-contact jersey doing positional drills only Wednesday and Thursday and then a decision Friday either to incorporate him in team drills - which would trend towards him playing; or to sit him down which would trend towards him missing out again.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Awesome take, thanks.

I know one has a shoulder injury that can impact tackling, and the other has a hamstring injury which tends to linger if it doesn't heal fully. So yeah, you do you.

Like I said, you know only the body part injured, not what the injury is. As such, you have no idea what the timeline for each injury is, nor where they are in their recovery. So the opinion is useless, which is all I said. 

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

McDermott would never say it, but they probably felt they could beat Miami without them, so erred on the side of caution.  I could be totally wrong, of course...

You could be wrong, but I hope you are right!  While mathematically (for division and conference standings and playoff tie-breakers), a game vs. an NFC opponent doesn't carry as much weight as an AFC game or a divisional game, with only 16 games, every game counts.  If one or both of them are healthy enough to play, they will likely play.

Edited by msw2112

I think that's dumb. Every game is absolutely crucial. They'll play if they are healthy, if not they won't. Simple as that.

My guess is Edmunds will play and Milano won't. They don't like to rush guys back from hamstring injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Like I said, you know only the body part injured, not what the injury is. As such, you have no idea what the timeline for each injury is, nor where they are in their recovery. So the opinion is useless, which is all I said. 

Yeah, basically all opinions outside the organization on any issue are useless. So, hot take.

Just giving you my opinion, not what I'd do if I was the coach. I know these guys play whenever they possibly can, and nobody is 100% once the season starts. But if there is any question about their health I'd say the prudent thing would be to hold them out this week, even though we'd all like to see them play.

18 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Our defense was clearly weakened by the losses of Edmunds and Milano. Those two are essential and we don't have backups that can do what they do. We had no answer to Fitz (Fitz!) and the Dolphins attack, although at least part of that was probably due to heat and exhaustion. Nevertheless, we need those two back badly.

Not this week, though. I don't expect to see either of them on the field against the Rams. It's possible Edmunds dresses, but I don't expect to see him play unless needed. Why?

- Brutal stretch of 5 consecutive AFC games coming up after (Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Jets, Patriots)

Unless they're both near 100%, give them time to rest and heal up. We're gonna need them much more in a couple of weeks.

I agree with all of this. Its just I don't think NFL teams think this way.  

That said, Edmunds is fine (somewhat obviously in my opinion).  Milano is really the only guy that might sit. 

Just now, Gene1973 said:

I feel that Edmunds will play, Milano is a nope.

Milano is more likely to sit than Edmunds. That said, if Milano was really that bad, they would have placed him on IR. The fact that they haven't speaks volumes. So too does the fact that they have no looked at any other LB options. 

4 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Yeah, basically all opinions outside the organization on any issue are useless. So, hot take.

Just giving you my opinion, not what I'd do if I was the coach. I know these guys play whenever they possibly can, and nobody is 100% once the season starts. But if there is any question about their health I'd say the prudent thing would be to hold them out this week, even though we'd all like to see them play.

Right, but since you don't know anything, you could have just posted this (completely reasonable) take in another thread, and not dressed it up with a headline that might suggest to users there has been a report stating as much,which is likely why I was not the only disgruntled reaction to your topic.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Very logical and I agree.  But I don't think McD is wired that way. Particularly the way Chan and Fitz abused the middle of the field.

Edited by CodeMonkey