Bills Playcalling with 10 Personnel

cage

It's pretty astounding to see how far along the Bills Receivers have come from just two short years ago.  Where the Bills had arguably the worst WR corps in the entire NFL to now arguably the best WR corps.  The addition of Diggs changes the entire makeup of the offense.  Brown was a solid #1 WR for us last year but we really had no #2 with Beasley as a good #3.  

Now with Diggs who is a bonafide superstar #1, that makes Brown a top end #2 and then you have Beasley who is another higher quality #3 and thrown in the Rookie Gabe who is a star in the making and add McKenzie in to boot for a fifth WR and we are absolutely stacked at the WR spot.   

Running the 10' set makes too much sense.  This is what you call playing to your strengths and I love it!  

Daboll is showing his mettle. 

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, cage said:

From the Athletic...I don't think we've ever seen a Bills offense like this.  Even the K-gun was tame by comparison

Sorry, subscription required

https://theathletic.com/2084441/2020/09/22/final-thoughts-10-things-we-learned-from-the-bills-win-over-the-dolphins/

The Bills have run 32 plays out of 10 personnel, which is when four wide receivers are on the field. That’s by far the most in the NFL. The next closest team is the Arizona Cardinals with 17. After that, the Seahawks and Patriots are tied with three each. There are 24 NFL teams who haven’t run a single play with four wide receivers on the field through two weeks of the season. Buffalo has a quarterback capable of running this offense and an offensive coordinator who isn’t afraid to let him loose. That’s a combination Bills fans haven’t seen in years.

The Bills have a QB who can be a very effective RB when wants - so not losing anything with 10 personnel

No disrespect to Knox and the blocks of ice he calls hands, why not line up in a 10 formation when your four best receivers are wide receivers?

With the speed and talent our wide outs have, and the arm Josh has, we force opposing defenses to defend the entire length and breadth of the field.  That's a tall order.  

I got to imagine this will eventually benefit the running game as well.  

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I know four receivers is a lot and creates problems fir the other team but I'd still use the full complement of eleven players.  Going to 10 personnel seems like we're being cocky and that's just bulletin board material.

Exactly.  I figured Wrecks was back, and had lost count again.

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Knox has only had one drop this year if I recall correctly. Yes the fumble but the kid is still learning. 

I view him much as I viewed Josh: a project with tremendous upside. Hopefully we all hold on a while longer as Kroft is invisible. 

Kroft was invisible in a good way on a couple plays on Sunday.  He was asked to block a good NFL player, and he did so.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kroft was invisible in a good way on a couple plays on Sunday.  He was asked to block a good NFL player, and he did so.

Agreed but he was a solid pass catcher at Cincinnati, I believe. Not so much here. That was my point. 

6 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

I hope our TE's step up, but I'm fairly certain that this group is our best group and is likely why we have them out there. Why not put our best 11 on the field and try to make it work. If we had a great TE or 2 maybe the formations would be different more often.

So according to this article in the Athletic, the Bills ran 1-0 (4 WR, 1 RB, 0 TE) 32 offensive plays, most in the league

Per Pro Football Reference (not to be confused with PFF), we've run 140 offensive plays.

Not to take away from the importance of Diggs, Brown, Beas and Davis, because they're great, but we're still in other sets something like 75% of the time.

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed but he was a solid pass catcher at Cincinnati, I believe. Not so much here. That was my point. 

Kroft is kind of a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

His first two seasons, he played almost every game but saw few targets.  When he was targeted (an average of 1x per game), he brought it in.

His third season, he saw aload of playing time due to injury, and he did very well.  Almost 4 targets per game, caught 67% of 'em.  2017.

2018 he was injured.  2019 at the start, injured.

The Bills hoped they were getting 2017 Kroft and with Knox, hoped to have a 1-2 punch at an all-purpose TE.

Unfortunately so far, it looks like we're getting 2015-2016 Kroft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kroft is kind of a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

His first two seasons, he played almost every game but saw few targets.  When he was targeted (an average of 1x per game), he brought it in.

His third season, he saw aload of playing time due to injury, and he did very well.  Almost 4 targets per game, caught 67% of 'em.  2017.

2018 he was injured.  2019 at the start, injured.

The Bills hoped they were getting 2017 Kroft and with Knox, hoped to have a 1-2 punch at an all-purpose TE.

Unfortunately so far, it looks like we're getting 2015-2016 Kroft.

I sit on my couch corrected. 😃 

4 hours ago, Magox said:

It's pretty astounding to see how far along the Bills Receivers have come from just two short years ago.  Where the Bills had arguably the worst WR corps in the entire NFL to now arguably the best WR corps.  The addition of Diggs changes the entire makeup of the offense.  Brown was a solid #1 WR for us last year but we really had no #2 with Beasley as a good #3.  

Now with Diggs who is a bonafide superstar #1, that makes Brown a top end #2 and then you have Beasley who is another higher quality #3 and thrown in the Rookie Gabe who is a star in the making and add McKenzie in to boot for a fifth WR and we are absolutely stacked at the WR spot.   

Running the 10' set makes too much sense.  This is what you call playing to your strengths and I love it!  

Daboll is showing his mettle. 

Me too astounding how far along  (couple years ago to now)and other stuff. Magox. Loving this offense so much. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I sit on my couch corrected. 😃 

Last year, Kroft had some bad whiffs on blocks that cost us - one on the final play of the Ravens game (incomplete pass to Brown), I believe Kroft was involved in the play where 3 Bills were supposed to be blocking Mercilus and he strip-sacked Josh anyway.  Then there was the Knox-on-Judon Ravens strip-sack debacle down near our goal line.

So I appreciate good blocking from TE other than Lee "Laundry!!" Smith

• Haha (+1) 1