Bills Playcalling with 10 Personnel

cage

From the Athletic...I don't think we've ever seen a Bills offense like this.  Even the K-gun was tame by comparison

Sorry, subscription required

https://theathletic.com/2084441/2020/09/22/final-thoughts-10-things-we-learned-from-the-bills-win-over-the-dolphins/

The Bills have run 32 plays out of 10 personnel, which is when four wide receivers are on the field. That’s by far the most in the NFL. The next closest team is the Arizona Cardinals with 17. After that, the Seahawks and Patriots are tied with three each. There are 24 NFL teams who haven’t run a single play with four wide receivers on the field through two weeks of the season. Buffalo has a quarterback capable of running this offense and an offensive coordinator who isn’t afraid to let him loose. That’s a combination Bills fans haven’t seen in years.

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love this offense that I have seen for two weeks.  We have shown an offense that can carry a struggling Defense and just flat out out score you.  Just think that is also with them still taking the 3rd QTR off.  Wait to see what happens when they get this Sluggish 3rd QTR thing out.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Even before Knox’s injury, our TEs were unimpressive and unreliable. 

I don’t mind seeing Gabe Davis get on the field or McKenzie motioning for jet sweeps

Knox has only had one drop this year if I recall correctly. Yes the fumble but the kid is still learning. 

I view him much as I viewed Josh: a project with tremendous upside. Hopefully we all hold on a while longer as Kroft is invisible. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Knox has only had one drop this year if I recall correctly. Yes the fumble but the kid is still learning. 

I view him much as I viewed Josh: a project with tremendous upside. Hopefully we all hold on a while longer as Kroft is invisible. 

Yeah, but until then there is nothing wrong with limiting his play time. They put too much on his shoulders last year. I just don't think they need to do that again with all the WR weapons they have. 

Also, and this is my favorite part, their offensive line this year is realllllly good. They just don't need the extra blockers like they did in years past. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

12 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Did he not have a 38 yard reception? He is very raw but he can occasionally make a big time play.. so yes I see the Josh Allen comparison... let em learn..

• Like (+1) 1

Love it..  McKenzie has already been way more impressive in this offense than I thought he would be.  He has a defined role and does it well.  Davis obviously looks legit and warrants playing time.  They are also physical players for WR, so you can still run out of those formations.  

As mentioned above, if our offense can figure out how to do anything in the 3rd quarter, we could be looking at an offense that can outscore anyone in the NFL.

31 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

We have a stacked WR room who are far more reliable and deserving of targets. Knox is a role player at best at this point and struggles with drops. Fortunately for him he’s the most talented TE we have so he’ll continue getting reps once he gets back.

I hope our TE's step up, but I'm fairly certain that this group is our best group and is likely why we have them out there. Why not put our best 11 on the field and try to make it work. If we had a great TE or 2 maybe the formations would be different more often.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I love this offense that I have seen for two weeks.  We have shown an offense that can carry a struggling Defense and just flat out out score you.  Just think that is also with them still taking the 3rd QTR off.  Wait to see what happens when they get this Sluggish 3rd QTR thing out.

I'm curious to see if its a difference in playcalling, execution, or defensive adjustments

Having 4 excellent WRs on the field is a huge advantage. It forces the defense to have more DBs on the field, which is great because (a) most DBs can't cover these guys, and (b) it opens things up for the running game since there are likely fewer LBs on the field. That includes running by Josh. Once this offense gets comfortable (especially the OL), I expect to see a lot of this formation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I mean Gabe Davis is much better than most teams 4th CB so why not let him get after it??

And factoring in injuries many times its the 5th or 6th best CB he is facing

Most teams aren't  running a 4th cb out there(well they prob will start to after reviewing some tape), so have chance of gettting an LB or S on one of our WRs. Winning...

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

‘10’ sets really put Allen in a position to succeed; he will usually get man coverage looks, and the vertical stretch gives him the option to take it himself for a chunk play.

Smart coaching 

Shh...Daboll doesn’t have a clue and is a terrible OC.  That’s what I’ve heard repeatedly around here.

• Like (+1) 1

There has been a lot of talk in the last few days of the Bills seemingly embracing a pass-heavy attacking offense on a conceptual level.  This is new territory.  

I agree with others, we haven't seen this in 20 years and I would like to see us continue...but still would like to see a lot of running with Allen as well.