Vikings fans already bemoaning the trade

Thunderstruck

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Most Viking fans hated the trade, the only positives were that at least if they traded him they got good value. Personally loving Diggs...

Regarding that good value, let’s take a look: they got Justin Jefferson, a promising prospect who is nowhere near Diggs presently and it will take a couple years. I hope he gets a better QB than Cousins sooner than later, but that contract hurts right now.

The Vikings traded the 2020 5th from Buffalo to the Bears for a 2021 4th, and the 2020 6th from Buffalo to Baltimore for a 2021 5th and a 2020 7th who became DE Kevin Willikes, who is on IR and gone for the rest of this season. 

So, it was Diggs for Jefferson, Willikes, two 2021 4ths, and a 2021 5th. It’s gonna be a while before we see any kind of value pan out. 

I’m confident we will have gotten the best player in this deal not just currently but also when it’s all said and done.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Regarding that good value, let’s take a look: they got Justin Jefferson, a promising prospect who is nowhere near Diggs presently and it will take a couple years. I hope he gets a better QB than Cousins sooner than later, but that contract hurts right now.

The Vikings traded the 2020 5th from Buffalo to the Bears for a 2021 4th, and the 2020 6th from Buffalo to Baltimore for a 2021 5th and a 2020 7th who became DE Kevin Willikes, who is on IR and gone for the rest of this season. 

So, it was Diggs for Jefferson, Willikes, two 2021 4ths, and a 2021 5th. It’s gonna be a while before we see any kind of value pan out. 

I’m confident we will have gotten the best player in this deal not just currently but also when it’s all said and done.

The value in terms of draft compensation was solid for the Vikings. They got the 22nd pick in the draft and other additional mid and late round picks along with the cap relief of not having Diggs under a large contract. Now what they do with those picks and how they pan out may or may not fit their timetable. If in two years Jefferson is very good and they find another starter with those mid-round picks then it will look like the Vikings did good in the trade. But the Bills were in it to win now and fortunately Diggs was out there via trade and the Bills gave up something to get something. 

Actually it was a fair deal for both teams. Neither team got bilked. It was fail value. Considering Diggs 2 week stats I am sure many teams wish they had made an offer. I would take Diggs over Odel Beckham any day of the week.

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The value in terms of draft compensation was solid for the Vikings. They got the 22nd pick in the draft and other additional mid and late round picks along with the cap relief of not having Diggs under a large contract. Now what they do with those picks and how they pan out may or may not fit their timetable. If in two years Jefferson is very good and they find another starter with those mid-round picks then it will look like the Vikings did good in the trade. But the Bills were in it to win now and fortunately Diggs was out there via trade and the Bills gave up something to get something. 

I fully understand the “value” in terms of draft charts, etc. My point is, until it translates to actual players and we see who those players become in the NFL, it’s an abstract concept. In terms of the current tangible reality, Minny has a long way to go to match the value Diggs is currently providing to the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Normally I don't care who got the better deal on a trade; I tend to look at it from "does this trade work for the Bills?" Even if people think the Bills got fleeced, I don't care as long as the trade works to the Bills' favor.

That said, the Viking fans were such douches to Diggs on social media, I finally cared because their takes were just embarrassingly naïve. So I'll enjoy moments like Diggs getting more yards in a game than Cousins got the entire game.

Lastly, I think the Diggs trade could go down as one of the best in my memory.  The Spikes deal was one of my favorites. The TO deal was one of my least favorites.  The Diggs deal is a critical component that flies in the face of the concept that no one player can make or break a team. Diggs is making this team better immediately. Kudos to Beane for not getting caught up in the first-round draft eye candy.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Normally I don't care who got the better deal on a trade; I tend to look at it from "does this trade work for the Bills?" Even if people think the Bills got fleeced, I don't care as long as the trade works to the Bills' favor.

That said, the Viking fans were such douches to Diggs on social media, I finally cared because their takes were just embarrassingly naïve. So I'll enjoy moments like Diggs getting more yards in a game than Cousins got the entire game.

Lastly, I think the Diggs trade could go down as one of the best in my memory.  The Spikes deal was one of my favorites. The TO deal was one of my least favorites.  The Diggs deal is a critical component that flies in the face of the concept that no one player can make or break a team. Diggs is making this team better immediately. Kudos to Beane for not getting caught up in the first-round draft eye candy.

Beane is a wizard. McDermott is amazing as well.

12 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Diggs was 5-star recruit coming out of high school. He went to maryland to stay close to home, got injured a bit in his junior year, and had a terrible qb throwing to him his senior year. That’s why he was overlooked, but the talent was always there.

Yep.  Due To injuries he had 3 backup QBs throwing to him, one a converted LB who played QB in high school.  Diggs we see now looks like Diggs at MD and Diggs in high school.  Always been a fast, quick, tough and ultra-competitive player.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

It was a great trade from the beginning. Diggs is a top-10 WR, at least. With the Bills picking 22nd overall, they were looking at-best at getting the 4th best WR, which would have been the 2nd tier of WRs after Judy, Lamb and Ruggs. As it turned out, the last of them (Lamb, surprisingly) went 17th and the Vikings got the 5th WR at 22. The Bills weren’t getting Lamb with the picks they traded to the Vikings, and probably wouldn’t have even gotten Reagor at 21 (and I would’ve been pissed if they traded up to get him).  Then there’s the fact there was an abbreviated off-season and training camp and no pre-season.

Maybe if Jefferson becomes a top-10 WR you could argue that the Bills overpaid. But that remains to be seen.  The later picks mean little.

Edited by Doc

15 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

In revisiting what Buffalo gave up and Minnesota received in exchange for Diggs it actually looks worse for the Vikings now than just the production the Bills are getting.

The first turned out to be Justin Jefferson who, it's very early, has 5 catches for 70 yards through two games. They traded the 5th round pick (which Buffalo got for Wyatt Teller) for '21 4th round pick and traded the lower of Buffalo's two 6th round picks (also acquired for Teller) to Baltimore for #225 in the 7th which they used on Kenny Willekes who is spending the year on IR and a 5th in '21. So basically they got nothing out of it this year except potential in Jefferson and a couple of late picks next year they hope they can hit on for depth.

Yea they traded one of the best outside receivers in the NFL and picked a slot receiver with the pick in the first round. Idiots.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Maybe if Jefferson becomes a top-10 WR you could argue that the Bills overpaid. But that remains to be seen.  The later picks mean little.

In the last 20 years how many slot receivers have become top 10 guys in the league? Welker? Maybe Edelman at his peak.... very particular system in New England. Larry Fitz has played more slot as he got older but in his top 10 days not so much.... Antonio Brown used to line up everywhere for the Steelers but was definitely not primarily a slot.... anyone I am missing?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In the last 20 years how many slot receivers have become top 10 guys in the league? Welker? Maybe Edelman at his peak.... very particular system in New England. Larry Fitz has played more slot as he got older but in his top 10 days not so much.... Antonio Brown used to line up everywhere for the Steelers but was definitely not primarily a slot.... anyone I am missing?

Yeah, not many. But is Jefferson only suited for a slot role?

Edited by Doc

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah,, not many. But is Jefferson only suited for a slot role?

Based on his tape as an outside receiver I wouldn't have picked him before round 3. He could be one of the best slots in the NFL. I just questioned then and question now whether a slot receiver is a guy you spend the 22nd pick of the draft on. Stefon Digg he ain't.

• Like (+1) 2