Loving Levi Wallace for his hustle - but -

LB48

39 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

He has a quota to hit on here weekly. 

Why not comment on the post rather than the poster?

he's afraid or feels insecure in the situation and by making the negative comments he makes himself feel better or more in control of the situation. - he's using the negative comments about the other person to make you not believe anything the other person has said or done.

So true!!

3 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Why not comment on the post rather than the poster?

he's afraid or feels insecure in the situation and by making the negative comments he makes himself feel better or more in control of the situation. - he's using the negative comments about the other person to make you not believe anything the other person has said or done.

So true!!

So what CB are we  trading for and what are we giving up?

Its your thread right... expand 

• Like (+1) 1

The Dolphins attacked the middle of the Bills defense.  Their Running backs averaged over 4 YPA and their slot and TE had career days. 

Tremaine Edmunds was sorely missed the most, Milano second. 

Wallace tackles were not all necessarily on the guy he was covering. 

the Bills lost the turnover and penalty stat line. With last years offense, they lose this game. 

18 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I want to like Wallace but he seems to always be a step late , a step away or a bit unaware of where the ball is.  Really curious to see if Norman has anything left.

Not sure he is late, I believe he is a better Zone than Man Corner and he plays as the Bills expect - keep the guy in front of you and make the tackle.

The problem is he gets exposed by QBs that aren’t afraid of tight windows.  A guy like Fitz isn’t scared to go after a CB like Tre’ and has no qualms about a guy like Wallace - who even with good coverage is more focused on making sure he gets his man to the ground rather than jumping a route.

Wallace seems much more comfortable when he can play zone - see the QB and the WR and knows he has safety help over the top.  With the Milano and Edmunds injuries and Fitz attacking the middle of the field with zone coverage - it pulled the safeties into coverage there.  Then when the Bills would throw a wrinkle and go man - Fitz was unfazed - even with pressure- and attacked the outside - sometimes it was Tre, but many times it was Wallace.

I get people wanting him to be better, but the dude balls as much as he can, makes solid tackles, and is a solid CB - he just is not Tre White and therefore is going to face a lot of throws.  Fitz attacked Wallace with several throws where Wallace was right there - Darnold was to scared to make those throws or tried to finesse them and was off target.  It is a huge difference between those 2 QBs.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

It hurt that our linebackers...especially Edmunds’ wingspan, were sorely missed in the flats where they typically eat up that space in the intermediate Passing game. It helps to hide some deficiencies. Expect a cb in the first or 2nd round next year if we don’t swing a trade closer to the playoffs if we’re where were supposed to be.

Exactly this. Taking Edmunds out necessarily changes the way we play defense. I haven't had a chance to review the all 22 yet - I will start on it tonight - but the adjustment it seemed off the tv angle that the Bills made was to send pressure with blitzes more often in the hope of rushing Fitz's process and affecting his accuracy. It didn't really work and to be honest I am not sure that is the way I'd have gone. We all know from Fitz's time here he enjoys being blitzed because he is smart, knows where his hots are and gets the ball out quick. I think as a result those intermediate spots that are always there in zone heavy schemes but that Edmunds usually seems to opposing QBs to have covered just through his length were open. It meant more throws went into that area of the field and, at the same time, the Bills were less able to spare a safety to shade over to Levi's side.

But equally allowing people to throw at Levi and then rally to tackle is part of what the Bills D does. They tend to shade their deep safety there, and then tell Levi to play with cushion and keep the ball infront of him. They know he will get beat sometimes, but he is a solid enough tackler and if he does occasionally miss Micah or Jordan is usually there to tidy up. It still amazes me that people watch this defense every week and don't understand what it does. It wants, fundamentally to make it difficult for you to run on 1st down and take away deep balls down the field. If you want to try and nickel and dime your way down the field against the Bills that is what they want you to do. Throw at Levi for 8 yards 10 times a drive if you want... or dump it off over the middle but you better be perfect when you do it because as soon as you are that bit off they are going to get you into 3rd and long situations where they are aggressive in defending the sticks and they will get you off the field. That gameplan was tweaked slightly on Sunday because of the loss of Milano and even more so Edmunds. Anyone who questions the value of those two players just understand how much we have to change our defensive gameplan without them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I meant as "part of" a trade (along with maybe others or picks). Wade not tradable? Didn't know that (not that any team probably cares about him... but I'd love to see him in a game).

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Or draft picks

I guess the idea of bundling picks and/or players is something that could be considered if there was a dire need but is that really true?

Even if Beane wanted to do it (which is highly debatable) he needs a partner.

It's only 2 games into the season.  This is the time of year where trades are rare.  Teams are all hoping to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

AFC teams would be very wary of strengthening the Bills right now.  That leaves finding a NFC team who is very heavy in CBs to even consider 

a trade.

When it gets to the trade deadline then teams (especially those who are out of the playoff hunt) are more open for trades.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess the idea of bundling picks and/or players is something that could be considered if there was a dire need but is that really true?

Even if Beane wanted to do it (which is highly debatable) he needs a partner.

It's only 2 games into the season.  This is the time of year where trades are rare.  Teams are all hoping to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

AFC teams would be vary wary of strengthening the Bills right now.  That leaves finding a NFC team who is very heavy in CBs to even consider 

a trade.

When it gets to the trade deadline then teams (especially those who are out of the playoff hunt) are more open for trades.

I’m with you. I don’t think that we’ll be trading for a starting caliber CB.  I was just pointing out that we don’t have to trade starting caliber players to get back what we’re looking for.  Draft picks can also be dealt.

i do think that Beane will continue to bring in 4-10 free agents for visits weekly, hoping to find a diamond in the rough.  I think Cam and/or Dane are most likely the guys that we’ll see on our roster if we have to replace a corner due to injury or poor play

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly this. Taking Edmunds out necessarily changes the way we play defense. I haven't had a chance to review the all 22 yet - I will start on it tonight - but the adjustment it seemed off the tv angle that the Bills made was to send pressure with blitzes more often in the hope of rushing Fitz's process and affecting his accuracy. It didn't really work and to be honest I am not sure that is the way I'd have gone. We all know from Fitz's time here he enjoys being blitzed because he is smart, knows where his hots are and gets the ball out quick. I think as a result those intermediate spots that are always there in zone heavy schemes but that Edmunds usually seems to opposing QBs to have covered just through his length were open. It meant more throws went into that area of the field and, at the same time, the Bills were less able to spare a safety to shade over to Levi's side.

But equally allowing people to throw at Levi and then rally to tackle is part of what the Bills D does. They tend to shade their deep safety there, and then tell Levi to play with cushion and keep the ball infront of him. They know he will get beat sometimes, but he is a solid enough tackler and if he does occasionally miss Micah or Jordan is usually there to tidy up. It still amazes me that people watch this defense every week and don't understand what it does. It wants, fundamentally to make it difficult for you to run on 1st down and take away deep balls down the field. If you want to try and nickel and dime your way down the field against the Bills that is what they want you to do. Throw at Levi for 8 yards 10 times a drive if you want... or dump it off over the middle but you better be perfect when you do it because as soon as you are that bit off they are going to get you into 3rd and long situations where they are aggressive in defending the sticks and they will get you off the field. That gameplan was tweaked slightly on Sunday because of the loss of Milano and even more so Edmunds. Anyone who questions the value of those two players just understand how much we have to change our defensive gameplan without them.

The explanation in part 2 is perfect.  That is how they play and it may be frustrating to fans, but they do not hate the way Wallace plays in this D.  That does not mean they are not looking for better, but they know what they have in Wallace and it is good enough to run their defense.

I think they brought extra pressure for 2 reasons - mostly because I think they wanted to force Fitz to throw it quickly and allow the troops (CBs and Safeties) to rally and tackle.  They did not want to get beat longer on double moves - like what happened to Tre’.  I think they felt like pressure him - get the ball out and tackle and maybe once or twice Tre’ will get a shot.

I think they also hoped it would throw a little confusion and maybe get a few drive stops.  If they could blitz and stop the run - it would give less exposure to the back-up LBs and maybe having them a bit closer to any receiver.  

I think Fitz is just darned good at handling that and he made some great throws to guys that had Bills defenders draped all over them.  The TD against Tre by the TE - that was classic Fitzmagic.  Tre was right there on the TE forced him to the inside and reacted perfectly- Fitz just beats him with a throw.  If it was a different QB that reacted a second slower or like Darnold in week 1 - Tre either gets a hand on it or a pick, but sometime when Fitz is on - he just beats you.

• Like (+1) 2

Wallace sucks. Anyone who watched the games last season could see that. I would have much rather kept Kevin Johnson over this scrub, but it wasn't an either/or situation unfortunately. It sucks that he's out on the field again but like an earlier poster stated, it's encouraging that the Bills realized this and did try to upgrade with the Norman and Gaines signings.

McVay is going to pick on him relentlessly Sunday and it could get ugly. Hopefully McDermott has a plan for this.

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The explanation in part 2 is perfect.  That is how they play and it may be frustrating to fans, but they do not hate the way Wallace plays in this D.  That does not mean they are not looking for better, but they know what they have in Wallace and it is good enough to run their defense.

I think they brought extra pressure for 2 reasons - mostly because I think they wanted to force Fitz to throw it quickly and allow the troops (CBs and Safeties) to rally and tackle.  They did not want to get beat longer on double moves - like what happened to Tre’.  I think they felt like pressure him - get the ball out and tackle and maybe once or twice Tre’ will get a shot.

I think they also hoped it would throw a little confusion and maybe get a few drive stops.  If they could blitz and stop the run - it would give less exposure to the back-up LBs and maybe having them a bit closer to any receiver.  

I think Fitz is just darned good at handling that and he made some great throws to guys that had Bills defenders draped all over them.  The TD against Tre by the TE - that was classic Fitzmagic.  Tre was right there on the TE forced him to the inside and reacted perfectly- Fitz just beats him with a throw.  If it was a different QB that reacted a second slower or like Darnold in week 1 - Tre either gets a hand on it or a pick, but sometime when Fitz is on - he just beats you.

Meh, hate is a strong word, sure they don't hate him. But Wallace was picked on quite a bit last year at CB2. They were so not thrilled with his play that they didn't just bring in one guy to replace him, they brought in 2. Wallace isn't supposed to be starting, he should be CB4 when it comes to playing on the outside in this defense with both Norman and Gaines in front of him on the depth chart.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Meh, hate is a strong word, sure they don't hate him. But Wallace was picked on quite a bit last year at CB2. They were so not thrilled with his play that they didn't just bring in one guy to replace him, they brought in 2. Wallace isn't supposed to be starting, he should be CB4 when it comes to playing on the outside in this defense with both Norman and Gaines in front of him on the depth chart.

FWIW last year (ie 2019) Wallace had beat out Gaines in camp before Gaines suffered the injury that saw him released. I do think Norman when healthy is an upgrade on Wallace but I think the Bills will remain confident enough in him unless he starts getting beaten deep. Every time he gives up a frustrating 6-12 yard completion where he seems to have given up too big of a cushion and then tackles just remember that is what they are asking him to do. That is the defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

FWIW last year (ie 2019) Wallace had beat out Gaines in camp before Gaines suffered the injury that saw him released. I do think Norman when healthy is an upgrade on Wallace but I think the Bills will remain confident enough in him unless he starts getting beaten deep. Every time he gives up a frustrating 6-12 yard completion where he seems to have given up too big of a cushion and then tackles just remember that is what they are asking him to do. That is the defense.

Gaines was hurt on August 4, 2019....the 8th day of camp.