Anthony Lynn: Backs Tyrod as Starter

BullBuchanan

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think he's handling the media well, but you gotta let Tyrod play himself out of the job, so that there's no controversy when Herbert takes over. Otherwise, you have the potential for dissension and/or a QB carousel situation.

That's why McDermott started Peterman, lol.

No you don't. Tyrod is a career backup and bridge QB. Literally nobody would think twice about benching him for a first round rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah but once Allen was in there he didn't take him out. But even he is dead set on sticking with Tyrod there has to of been a better way of doing it besides throwing Herbert under the bus.

Like I said, he let the starter play himself out of the job. Perception creates a delicate situation when considering all the variables, not just fans and media.

I agree he's not handling the media well. He's blowing up his own plan.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

No you don't. Tyrod is a career backup and bridge QB. Literally nobody would think twice about benching him for a first round rookie.

"Nobody" is obviously not accurate.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Herbert was clearly drafted to be the QB of the future. The only reason to not play him is if he’s not ready. He looks plenty ready. It isn’t like TT is some entrenched starter. JMO

Corrwect. And Lynn said he's not ready. So the perception from the media and fans is clearly not the same as from within the lockerroom.

However, Lynn's handling of the media is like shooting himself in the foot.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Like I said, he let the starter play himself out of the job. Perception creates a delicate situation when considering all the variables, not just fans and media.

I agree he's not handling the media well. He's blowing up his own plan.

I think Lynn is enticed by turnover free offense. That won’t be Herbert but on the other hand they are going nowhere with TT but 8-8. If Herbert fell on his face that’s one thing but he showed he could get thrown into the fire and played a great game for a rookie with no preseason. I say start the future now but I’ve always said that 

• Like (+1) 1

Can't imagine Chargers fans being too happy with those quotes by Lynn.  Oh wait, the Chargers don't have any fans.  

But seriously, I'm guessing Lynn is pissed about the terrible interception that Herbert threw near the goal line at the end of the third quarter.  Chargers were about to stretch it to a 2 score game and that completely changed the momentum.  Herbert looked pretty good for being thrown in the fire minutes before kickoff, but they kept things really simple for him with play action and lots of roll-outs/one side of the field stuff.  And his stats benefitted from an inordinate amount of YAC on the part of his receivers.  But yeah, he definitely passed his first test. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Can't imagine Chargers fans being too happy with those quotes by Lynn.  Oh wait, the Chargers don't have any fans.  

But seriously, I'm guessing Lynn is pissed about the terrible interception that Herbert threw near the goal line at the end of the third quarter.  Chargers were about to stretch it to a 2 score game and that completely changed the momentum.  Herbert looked pretty good for being thrown in the fire minutes before kickoff, but they kept things really simple for him with play action and lots of roll-outs/one side of the field stuff.  And his stats benefitted from an inordinate amount of YAC on the part of his receivers.  But yeah, he definitely passed his first test. 

I have no doubt it was the INT but he’s a rookie and he’s going to throw those. But he also made some nice throws. He has to grow and develop. Not going to happen on the bench.i just don’t get Lynn’s mindset. Maybe he thinks TT can get them to the playoffs, I guess 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Lynn is enticed by turnover free offense. That won’t be Herbert but on the other hand they are going nowhere with TT but 8-8. If Herbert fell on his face that’s one thing but he showed he could get thrown into the fire and played a great game for a rookie with no preseason. I say start the future now but I’ve always said that 

I think Lynn needs to be conscious of the fact that he could make or break Herbert's career in this situation, even if he has franchise QB ability.

When you take a look at his coaching career, it doesn't look like he has any experience dealing with QB development or even a good mentor to rely on.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has to grow and develop. Not going to happen on the bench.

That's debatable and it really depends on the player and their mental readiness.  I think it's been widely acknowledged that Josh benefitted from the 4 week injury rest he had during his rookie season.  Remember that Lynn and his staff have a much clearer picture of who Herbert is right now than we do.

I agree he made some nice throws.  There was one he zipped into a tight window to Allen in the second half that really impressed me (and the announcers if I recall correctly).  It was the type of throw that Tyrod would never ever attempt, but the kind of throw your quarterback needs to make at some point to move the ball against better defenses in this league.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Lynn isn't a good HC to begin with so doesn't surprise me he would do something like this.

He’s entering Hue Jackson territory if he ever starts Tyrod again.  And that FG he kicked near the end of the game yesterday is a firing offense all by itself.

• Like (+1) 1

Come on! It is simply coach speak for 'we like Tyrod, think he is a good teammate, a capable backup, but he is done as our starter'.

Tyrod knows this, of course, as he heard almost the same exact things after Mayfield was drafted in Cleveland and before he lost his job in Buffalo.

He will continue to have a great career as a backup, earn lots of money, and retire rich and healthy.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Lynn isn't a good HC to begin with so doesn't surprise me he would do something like this.

His rocket like rise to fame always made me extremely skeptical. Guy went from Bills RB coach to Bills Oc to Bills HC in one calendar year. Then people wanted him to be the full time coach! Should have seen how he did as a defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator for a season first. 

Onto the question, this should cost him his job, but it won’t. You don’t go back to Tyrod after the performance Herbert just put on. Tyrod struggled against the Bengals, Herbert just went toe to toe with the champs. At the absolute minimum, the kid earned a second start. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

After watching Herbert, as HC, I would have a hard time keeping him off the field.  I think this is the wrong decision for Lynn, personally.

I tend to agree

the only caveat being one guy has seen much more of Herbert and it’s not you or I.

Sometimes a dude can look electric doing things that are incorrect and unsustainable. 

that said, almost no chance tyrod plays as well and as a top ten pick the kids expected to play by mid season. Hardly seems worth the back and forth of delaying it.